“Excellent food, perfectly cooked and superb steak!”

Conservatory Restaurant @ Boxmoor Lodge
Reserve with OpenTable
Conservatory Restaurant @ Boxmoor Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 171 Restaurants in Hemel Hempstead
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Conservatory Restaurant, at the delightful Boxmoor Lodge in Hemel Hempstead, is a friendly, family owned business with an exceptional modern British menu. The light-filled dining room has crisp linens, garden views and fresh flowers, and the service is faultless. The Head Chef at Boxmoor Lodge, Stuart Ambury, oversees a kitchen that prides itself on high-quality GM free ingredients and creative presentation. Starters such as a fine Crisp tempura tiger prawns, mango & mint salad with ponzu dipping sauce or Baked fresh figs with Cumbrian dry aged ham, celeriac remoulade and port syrup are bound to tempt you. And the main course selection includes some mouth watering treats like the roasted rack of lamb,beautifully presented with pea puree, fresh peas & lamb essence, the lamb is cooked just right, very succulent and seasoned well. Then there is also the local Aylesbury duckling from Mr Waller, using the breast which is roasted perfectly pink with a crispy skin, crisp leg croquette with a rich orange & honey sauce. The restaurant also has a wonderful wine list and a superb outside dining area for the alfresco experience.
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Recently had a meal at boxmoor lodge, prawn cocktail was spot on followed by a perfectly cooked sirloin steak with a wonderful pepper sauce, desert was delicious also. British food at its best in the delightful conservatory restaurant.

1  Thank Paultm65

Reviewed 19 December 2012

We are so pleased to have found this hotel. It is easily accessed from the M25 and is well worth a visit. The atmosphere is relaxed and the staff are friendly and courteous. The food is beautifully presented and tastes as good as it looks.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant.

1  Thank Jacqui F
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I went as part of a group booking with work for Christmas. We paid £35 each for the 3 courses, excluding drinks of course. I was really looking forward to it as I thought it would be brilliant and also for what they charged.

It was a set menu with many choices which everyone has picked beforehand. For me the pork terrine was fine, if not a bit boring, lacking slightly in taste and texture.

However the main disappointment was the turkey. It was simply three flimsy slices of turkey, with some boiled vegetables and a couple of lack lustre roast potatoes. The gravy was tasteless and fairly watery. The whole dish reminds me strongly of my old school dinner. It lacks any finesse, and does not even reach the standard of the Fishery pub restaurant across the road!

Finally came a very small Christmas pudding with some synthetic custard, which was again disappointing.

All in all it would have been fine if I had not paid so much, and the fact that many local restaurants charge much less for their Christmas meals for much better food.

I am afraid that in spite of its reputation, I would never go back there again after this first visit to this restaurant/hotel.

2  Thank Globetrotter430
325hicks, Owner at Conservatory Restaurant @ Boxmoor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

I am very sorry to read your comments, I have taken your comments on board and communicated with our team for our Christmas de-brief. We have recently made some changes to our kitchen team and the forthcoming Christmas menu for 2013. Again we are very sorry about your disappointing experience, let me assure you that this is not a common occurrence and I hope that you would give us another opportunity to show you a real Boxmoor Lodge dining experience in the future.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Once again we had our Christmas lunch at Boxmoor Lodge having been there many times before and we were not disappointed. The food was hot, well served and the desserts were to die for! We could not fault this restaurant the room was attractively decorated, warm and cozy. Well done to all the staff at Boxmoor Lodge for their friendly service and excellent food.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Great menu and absolutely delicious food. Great service. Good choice of drinks. Very clean. Wish I had room for dessert!

1  Thank slyunus