Alexandra Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
  • Pool
Shendish Manor Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
View Hotel
The Watermill Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
All reviewscooked breakfaststayed heresocketsaccommodationreceptionisthemel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The good thing I can say is that the people are very friendly and helpful and the location is a 5 min walk to the town centre. The rest, I'm afraid, is not so good. At least 4 floors, no elevator so keep in mind if heavy luggage. The room, while clean, had its issues. The ensuite bathroom which you had to step up into was a little over 2ft by 7ft. Because the window blind had several slats missing, you had to be careful when exiting the bathroom in a state of undress because you would be clearly seen from the houses across the street. I turned the light off and dressed by moonlight. You also had to keep the bathroom door closed for the very same reason. Not good if you're claustrophobic. The free WiFi was extremely sporadic, very annoying. The TV was difficult to figure out with its 2 remotes. Whichever channel I changed, stayed on the same program but the channel numbers changed. The image could barely be seen and there was no adjustment button on either remote or the TV itself to adjust it. Walls incredibly thin, you can hear EVERYTHING from the room next door. If I wasn't so exhausted each night, I probably wouldn't have slept well. The last day I returned to my room, the door was not fully shut. Fortunately nothing was missing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Room like a cupboard. Tiny and horrible bathrooms. Breakfast inedible! Really horrible beans and bacon - never tasted anything quite like it! You have to eat breakfast between 7 and 8am only! The person who likened it to Borstal was quite right! Yes it was fairly cheap, but after one night of no sleep I checked out and I have suffered all day as a result of uncomfortable night. It was warm (but far too warm!) and they take dogs. But so do other hotels I have now discovered. It has two AA stars but doesnt even deserve one! Beware!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank janeysu
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I was forced to find accommodation temporarily as I am relocating to the area for my new job but my flat was not ready. I decided to book the cheapest place possible which in hindsight is not the best way to go about booking a room for the night.

First impressions are that it is very dated; the wallpaper is old, the carpets mouldy and worn. There isn't a lift so I had to struggle up the stairs with my case to the top floor. At first I didn't think it would be too bad - the bedding was clean, as was the ensuite bathroom which is obviously very important. But the walls are made of paper and you can hear every noise - luckily next door was just coughing loudly and nothing else!!

The fixtures appeared to be falling off the walls - there was a plug socket next to the bed which I was very wary of using as it was very loose and moved away easily when pulled. The curtain rail looked like it could fall down any second, and the carpet was hideously stained. My room had twin beds each with a light above it - one of the beds creaked with every movement, whilst the other was pretty much silent but unfortunately the light above the silent bed did not work!

I stayed two nights in this guest house and both mornings I was woken by the fire alarm going off for a minute at 6.15 and 5.15 on each morning respectively. I was not pleased especially as I had to get up for my first day of work. The shower went from extremely hot to freezing cold, and once a good temperature was found, after about 2 minutes it went ice cold again.

The staff however were fairly friendly, apart from the woman dishing out breakfasts who was very short with her customers and often forgot what had been ordered. On one occasion I saw her scold a child for opening a ketchup sachet before his food arrived!

Yes it was cheap, but now that I'm staying in another place, I realise that its far better to spend a little extra to get a better nights sleep!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank las220390
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is a combination of a 1970s borstal and a DHSS hostel. There are damp patches on most of the ceiling throughout the building, the woodchip wall paper is peeling and to cover the gaps, pages of A4 printer paper have been sellotaped over the holes!
The room is very tired, peeling wallpaper, broken furniture and tatty carpets, the en-suite is a nasty all in one plastic fabricated affair, more suited to glastonbury festival.
The breakfast was a nasty experience, I honestly felt sick at the sight of the offering, the dining hall looks like it hasn't changed for 20 years or so.
Parking is on the front garden which has been paved over, easy to spot at it has overflowing wheelie bins to both the left and right.
Whatever you do, do not book to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple