“Seriously Overpriced”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Had walked by the canal and came across the pub/restaurant. It was early so didnt expect any other customers and there were none. Pleasant enough inside but has a lingering smell from the "fire pit". But wow the prices £4.09 for a pint of becks !!. Thought about eating on my return walk but saw the prices being chalked on the specials board, all the dishes looked ok but only special thing was again the prices. From my many walks along the canal there are some better locations (swingbridge) and far more competative food places. Also notice managers only respond to the good reviews. Says it all really

David C, Manager at The Paper Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Hello Colin,

I am sorry you didn't decide to eat with us, we like to pride ourselves on great quality food as well as making sure that our customers have a great experience whilst they are with us. Nathan our Head Chef spends a great deal of time locally sourcing the best ingredients for our main menu as well as our specials.

I do hope you will come and try us again,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked a table online for my father's birthday upon the recommendation of a friend. I'd never been to or even heard of this place so I didn't know what to expect from the booking.
Upon arrival we were shown upstairs to the empty restaurant (we were perfectly happy to sit downstairs in the bar area). We were met at the top of the stairs by a waitress who asked the barmaid showing us to our seats 'well I hope they've booked'. This puzzled me as the restaurant was empty and remained that way for much of our stay. A couple came in much later but it was by no means anywhere near busy. I then informed our waitress that the table would now only be needed for 4 diners as our 5th guest could no longer join us. You would think this was a personal insult to her! She made such a fuss of removing the extra chair (which she then left in the middle of the walkway) and extra place setting.
Anyway everyone seated, menu in hand my sister and I decided that the full restaurant menu was perhaps a tad heavy for a Saturday lunchtime. I recalled seeing a sandwich menu on the website so my sister went to find our friendly waitress to ask if we could see this menu. 'We usually only offer that menu downstairs' she informed her before reluctantly handing it over. I was slightly riled by this as none of us had asked to sit upstairs anyway and since it was taking forever to get the drinks we ordered, downstairs was looking more and more appealing.
Anyway, despite the waitress taking every request as a personal insult we managed to have a lovely lunch. The food was fab and the portions rather generous. It was a beautiful sunny day in a pretty location which helped too. I would probably visit again for a bite to eat but i'd definitely stick to the bar area, the restaurant wasn't for me.

Hello Mrs Troy,

I am glad that you enjoyed the food and had a nice meal with us, and I am very glad to hear that your experience of the waitress won't stop you from coming here again. I will aim to resolve the issues that you had with your service.

Kind regards and look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Lovely outside area by the canal, just as good as in the photos. Very nice inside, too. Very good food, but expensive.

Hello,

Hope to see you again soon,

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Sadly another pub that feels that because it is near or on the canal it can charge inflated prices. The staff were friendly enough although there was quite a wait to be served at the bar. The food prices are totally over the top and I will not be eating here again.
The actual pub was clean and pleasantly decorated, but not worth the money.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The pub itself is nice inside, it has outdoor seating right on the canal and a restaurant area upstairs. But on reading the menu we thought the food was extremely overpriced..it was nearly £9 for a "posh" fish finger sandwich! We popped in for a drink, but I wouldn't eat here, its too expensive.