“good fun”
Review of The Snow Centre

The Snow Centre
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Great value to have real snow. Kids loved the sledging and food was good. I would drink there on a Friday night as they have real Paulaner German beer!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Excellent facility for Skiers, beginners and the more experienced ! A unique indoor centre, designed with actual resorts as an influence. I have spectated/supported a friend with a disability, and the tuition received has been very friendly and outstanding. Bar, Lounge and Viewing Gallery add to this venue.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I have been lucky enough to ski in numerous ski resorts for numerous weeks. Even in the Alps they often make artificial snow on the well used slopes and lower down towards the village which is ok until the temperature rises and it turns to more of a sugary substance. On my first visit to an indoor centre at Hemel last week I was very disappointed to find that the whole slope had this sort of sugary 'snow' which is a very poor substitute for the real thing. I don't know for sure but I am assuming that the reason it is like this is because they don't keep it as cold as it should be presumably to save money. Either way it is not a good service to really ski or board on.
The main slope cannot be more than 100 metres. I am talking about the slope not the flat bits at the top and bottom. If you are an experienced ski or boarder then this is a waste o
The nursery slope when I was there was far too busy and also had a jump on it that more experienced people were practising their jumps all of which added together made the nursery slope unsafe for beginners. I am a qualified instructor and also qualified to assess instructors and I watched some of the instruction going on and frankly a lot of it was poor. I have noted many of the positive comments here by beginners who have taken lessons here and would say that if you are a beginner you would not know what good instruction is and would also not know what constitutes good safety; either way you can only speak as you find and so I am pleased you enjoyed it.
The only reason I can see to use this facility is if you are a beginner or a low level intermediate and you want to give a snowsport a try or you are going on a snowsport holiday. Or perhaps you want to practise freestyle.
I say all of the above with value for money in my mind. This facility is far more expensive pro rata than any ski resort in the Alps yet there is no comparison when compared to the real thing. The fact that they charge so much but provide something that is more akin to sugar than snow is very disappointing. My advice if you are going on a snowsport holiday is to save your money and wait until you get to resort and get on the real stuff.

4  Thank John T
Pete G, Manager at The Snow Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Hello Elbats

Thank you for your feedback following a vist to the snow centre. It’s disappointing to read that you felt our snow was poor and that the instruction taking place was not in line with your expectation ( although I note you didn’t take a lesson yourself and are taking this view on your observations).

As a qualified instructor yourself you will know that snow is an ever changing material and when in the mountains or indoors learning to adapt leads to more successful outcomes. Just like in a mountain resort the snow changes throughout the day from flat and groomed to bumpy and variable. Depending on an individuals desire one can pick the time of day that will suite their needs. As an example if you like skiing moguls then coming early when the slope is groomed would probably not be ideal.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you or as I note you are a qualified instructor maybe you would like to consider joining our team?

Best regards

Pete
Pete Gillespie
Snowsport School / Guest services manager
BASI Alpine trainer ISTD / ISIA

Peter.gillespie@thesnowcentre.com

Reviewed 11 November 2013

One of the most fun things I’ve tried in a little while! My mate and I tried snowboarding (for the first time ever) on a whim, and I’ll definitely be going back. David Alexander (our instructor) was extremely charismatic. He explained things very well and made the class really engaging. He gave us some superb tips and was extremely helpful, enthusiastic and patient (as were most of the instructors- shout out to Monica!)

The slope wasn’t too overcrowded, and the class was small enough to get the right amount of safety and attention required for novices. The snow centre has a very relaxed atmosphere, everyone is friendly and enthusiastic.

With regards to locale, the centre is easy to get to by car and has loads of free parking; I would definitely recommend them. I’d like to send out a massive thank you to The Snow Centre, especially David Alexander. And don’t worry D.A I didn’t take to heart all the ribbing. And I most certainly won’t tell anyone about your flailing, swinging arms. I’m sure the ballet lessons you’ve started taking will help with your posture! Your secret is safe with me……..

3  Thank Ray_Soraya
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My friend purchased a beginner snowboarding lesson for the both of us and I can honestly say it was truly fantastic. The group was small (7) so there was enough one on one interaction and we were all allowed to progress at our own pace. Our instructor (David Alexander) was fantastic and when we wanted to go and practice ourselves he organised for a shadow instructor to help us (Monica), who too was excellent. The class started at how to clip your feet into the board to turns down the bigger slope. Thoroughly had enjoyed myself and have already booked more lessons.