“Bit of a mixed bag!”

Chester, United Kingdom
“Bit of a mixed bag!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Well where do I start?
This is a privately owned hotel part of a small group of two - the other being the Icon in Luton where I have previously stayed not long after it opened and was very impressed, meeting the then owners.
They have obviously acquired the Aubrey Park and have really tried to modernise it and bring the modern twists you find at the Icon.
However, first impressions when you drive up are the annex buildings which remind you of Crossroads Motel (the 70's TV series), including an awful looking mobile classroom building with a banner sign on it saying "National Construction" I am not sure what the hotel was previously - a conference/training centre maybe?
Once inside you can see that the owners have made significant investment and general decor of the public areas is very good - the restaurant looked very impressive to rival a modern city centre establishment.
The check in experience was not good - I queued behind 6 or 7 other corporate travellers, with two reception staff, who despite being very polite were not very swift at check-in given the queue. I did enquire about a room upgrade and was assured I had a very nice room on the first floor. After what seemed a quarter of mile walk up and down corridors the room was located at the far end of the hotel in one f the room annexes which reminded me very much of university halls of residence and actually on an upper ground floor.
The room size was similar to that of university - only just squeezing in a double bed, with an ensuite that you had to contort yourself between the toilet and the shower - no bath which I would have liked - but the icon only had rooms with showers if I remember.
Despite this, the standard of the decor and fitting was excellent, modern toilet fittings, nice soft furnishings, contemporary decoration and colour schemes. The owners have really tried on this.
Now, the next experience was the restaurant, that evening being managed by a French Maitre'd. Now I wouldn't say he was rude, but very reminiscent of a typical Parisian waiter - professional but with an air of indifference that you had dared to grace his establishment! This was not the Left Bank - a corporate hotel in Hertfordshire full of business with fat corporate expense accounts to spend - so some warm customer service may have encouraged greater spend!
I do though have to compliment the executive chef - he or she knows their trade - their sourcing of excellent produce was also replicated at breakfast. Dinner was well cooked and nothing let it down except the Maitre'd.
My final piece of constructive advice is to ensure that the bar and restaurant postings are correct even if your company is settling the bill. I am not accusing anyone of bumping up the bill knowing it was just being signed and the corporate picking up the tab; but I knew I only spent around £25 and was billed for over £40. This was challenged on check out and sorted after I had to go through every line item - again the Maitre'd did the posting - so management, please look at some staff training here!
Check out was as painful as check-in with queues of execs - again a bit of staff training here from some of the large hotel groups would help in ensuring swiftness of check-in/out experience.
Difficult to recommend, as not many hotels in vicinity and obviously plenty of businesses giving them trade. As long as you understand the limitations, the price wasn't too bad. Hopefully the proprietors will pick up on the feedback to improve as it does have the makings of a potentially good hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Ron C, Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Mark R,
Many thanks for your very detailed review - mixed bag and all. It's still a great way to measure. Can't do a great deal about the externals of the building (just yet) but plans are afoot to develop the exterior rather nicely over the next few months.

I apologise for the areas you found us wanting, the speed at reception (we may well need to put in a third station) and the rooms size, perhaps next time (and I hope there'll be one) you can have a superior or an executive room where there is more space.

One point I should mention, is we're not connected to the Icon Hotel in Luton, we do have a sister hotel, the Humber Royal, in Grimsby, with more to come over the coming years as the company grows.

I hope you'll try us again when perhaps we might be able to meet.
Kind regards and thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have recently just got married and had my reception at the Aubrey park hotel and it was the most best and amazing time of my life!!
The staff were absolutely fantastic special thanks to Sarah and Charlie! Nothing was a problem for them and they made the day/ night run so smoothly!
I just want to say a big thank!
Sarah and Jamie wingfield

• Stayed September 2013
Ron C, Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Sarahehall1987,

Many thanks for your kind words following your Wedding Reception with us. I think you made Sarah and Charlie's day as much as we seem to have made yours! Glad you enjoyed your day with us and we all look forward to seeing you both back many times in the coming years.

Congratulations and all the best for your future together
South Coast
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here for one night and even though it was just booked as a good value stop over on a longer journey we were very impressed. Reception was quick and efficient, the room was very modern and clean and the whole hotel seemed to have just had a major refurb by the look of it.
We tried the restaurant and it was fantastic. Not cheap by any means but the quality of the food and the service made it good value. The breakfast was equally as good, with a nice selection on a help yourself basis.
All in all, very impressed and would be very likely to return if in the area again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SouthCoastHarold
Ron C, Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear SouthCoastHarold,

Why, thank you so much for such a glowing review Harold. Very good to read at this end. I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back next time you find yourself travelling through the area. Just one thing I have to ask........we're all wondering now, where you were going on your long journey? We're all guessing the destination (I know, we're such a sad bunch), so if you read this please let us know?

Thank you again and hope to see you again soon, it made our day.
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We attended a Golden Wedding Anniversary lunch and the overall experience was very enjoyable. The room was just right for the 52 people, seated at round tables of 8. Staff were very attentive, the meal well presented, delicious and hot! Thank you.

Room Tip: Did not stay at hotel so cannot comment
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ron C, General Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Exploeres03,

Many thanks for your very kind review following your visit to us, for the anniversary lunch last Sunday. The room did look good, and was perfectly finished off with the little touches from your hosts I thought. Especially the flowers.

Perhaps we can tempt you to stay over one night now you've sampled the hotel, even if you live locally, always good to 'just get away' now and then.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A huge thank you to Sarah Williamson at The Aubrey Park Hotel, for helping us to organise our reception after our Civil Partnership. Thanks to Charlie & Bruno for taking care of us throughout the evening, to the bar staff for keeping the family & guests lubricated and thanks to the "chef" and his crew for the wonderful buffet which went above & beyond our expectations, so much so, people were taking photo's of it! The Garden Room at The Aubrey was just perfect for our celebration and we would recommend anyone, thinking of holding any type of celebration to contact the Aubrey! Thanks again, Kate & Marie

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Ron C, Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Kate B,

Why, thank you for such a glowing review. I'm pleased you and your guests enjoyed yourselves and I think several of the team here will have a smile on their faces having been mentioned personally. That's very good of you.

I hope we'll see you both back at the Aubrey Park in the future, and my congratulations and best wishes for the future.
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Good
Nice, well refurbished, comfortable and clean. Friendly and well meaning staff.

Bad
Insufficient staff on the bar, slow and relatively expensive.
Restaurant, struggling to cope with 25, kept waiting for 30 mins before being seated.
Food, very disappointing. My meal could only be described as 'out of the bag/box pub grub'.
Mushy peas, a green tasteless paste, had I felt sure, never seen a pea. Fish out of a box into the frier. Cooked to a turn just very greasy and not to the std promised by the image of the restaurant on entry.

Go for the accommodation, not for service and food.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Ron C, Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Ange1o-Custode,

Thanks for your review. While it's good to read your thoughts on the rooms, a tad disappointing on the restaurant, especially when everything on the menu is bought, prepared and cooked fresh. I think I'll give the chef a sedative when he reads this one. However, I will always apologise if we get it wrong so sorry for that and hope you might try the restaurant one more time as it is getting good reviews for it food.

Look forward to seeing you back and perhaps meeting you next time?
Liverpool
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed here after going to Warner Bros studio tour and a concert in London. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere so is quiet and peaceful. Parking was not a problem and when we checked in they advised us that there was a wedding on and that the hotel was busy, they also said they had moved our room to the back of the hotel so we weren't disturbed by the wedding party noise. Reception staff friendly.
Room was clean, comfy bed, clean bathroom, the only problem we had with the room was that it was so hot even with the window wide open. When we went down for breakfast we were told that it was a busy morning because of the wedding the night before and the dining room was full but there was free tables in the bar which didnt bother us at all. The only problem was that the food seemed to be rushed out and looked a little under cooked, maybe they need more staff on at busy times ie weddings.
But overall a decent hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ron C, Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Battygirl53,

Great name. Many thanks for your review and pleased to read you enjoyed your visit to Aubrey Park and of course, I hope you'll think of us next time you visit the area or London. Just a comment regards breakfast, Sunday's can get a tad busy later in the morning as wedding groups often arrange to all meet for breakfast together and as many people enjoy a lie-in on Sundays there is often a short time when the restaurant is busy, so I'm pleased you were looked after well.

Like the bear (is it a bear?) in the bar. Hope he/she enjoyed breakfast.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#6 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans

Been to Aubrey Park Hotel? Share your experiences!