“Could do with a little refining”
Review of Aubrey Park Hotel

Aubrey Park Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
York
“Could do with a little refining”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here with a group in mid June. The group were booked in on a Bed & Breakfast option however some 35 decided to eat at the hotel having been into London for the afternoon.A small party had pre-booked their dinner but the rest had not that is where it started to unravel. On arrival the rooms were promptly allocated, very efficiently. (Except one pair of ladies given a double bed and on 1st floor when ground floor twin requested -however gently resolved. Hotel is wonderful, modernised to high quality finish(about 2 years ago). Then came the restaurant-
Although advised as to the numbers eating in reasonable time, it was chaos. The staff did not seem to have much idea, the manageress was in a world of her own and the chef kept having tantrums!!
It resulted in many meals coming out far too slowly and people waiting too long for their evening meals. Eventually all were served some however were not too happy with the service. Even the MD was serving on!!
Now to the better points- the food quality is excellent not Michelin standard but good Nouveau Cuisine and well prepared and presented.I think everyone enjoyed the food when served. Breakfast the next day was fantastic everything you would expect and more with plentiful tea, coffee served to you and fruit juice on tap along with the breads, cereals, hot and cold choices, could not be faulted.

This is a very well appointed efficiently run (except dining room)hotel. It is a bit of a maze, finding your way around is a nightmare. Numerous identical corridors and small flights of stairs, If you had lots of luggage you would give up the will to live, and have to use sat-nav to navigate your way out.A point made by various other reviewers.

The rooms were adequate well appointed and comfortable, very clean but very hot. There was a security bolt on the window so it could not be opened much but it soon cooled and was pleasant.
The Hotel had a good wi fi connection.
The grounds are well kept and there is plenty of parking. All in akll a very pleasant stay. If the dining issues were overcome I would highly recommend this hotel to business and leisure users, it is only 10min or so off junction 8 of M1.

Room Tip: Upper rooms where windows open for ventilation
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is fine, food is very good but the service is terrible, food was ordered when I checked in but when I went to the restaurant to eat staff didn't know what was happening I didn't get my starter till nine pm after being sat for half an hour then desert didn't arrive till ten pm

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris B

Travellers are raving about these Hemel Hempstead hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a very nice hotel but finding your way around is a nightmare. Numerous identical corridors and small flights of stairs, I had quite a lot of luggage and it took me 10 - 15 minutes to eventually find my room. A point made by various other reviewers.

The room was actually very good being clean and comfortable but it was very hot, fortunately the security bolt on the window had been removed so at least I could open it fully. It wasn't even a particularly hot day so I think it would be horrible in the height of summer

Good wi fi connection.

Dinner was pretty good but expensive, the buffet breakfast very good indeed.

I might stay here again but I'll be exploring other hotels in the area first as the overall value was average at best.

Room Tip: don't pick one over number 250, you'll never find it!
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The Aubrey Park Hotel was renovated about 2 years ago and the public rooms are smart and modern. The grounds are well kept and there is plenty of parking. The bedrooms are aren't particularly large, but very clean and reasonably well equipped. Our room looked onto those opposite so we had to draw our curtains more than we would have preferred (no nets). We would ask for a room overlooking the boundary hedge and fields next time. Despite booking as a couple, we only had one bath towel and one hand towel in the room - probably just an oversight, but my husband declined the walk back to Reception and used my damp one! There are several flights of steps linking the various corridors so anyone with mobility issues or lots of luggage might wish to notify management when booking. Wi-fi included and worked well. Breakfast was excellent. Yes, there was some low level noise from the M1 but the location is very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DevonDays
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night on business and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable this hotel was.

I was greeted at reception in a very friendly manner and showed to my room. My room was absolutely miles away from the reception which would be a problem if you have mobility issues. Luckily, I only had a cold so I managed the trek fine!

The rooms were really accommodating, comfortable bed and a decent sized tv. Bathroom was very clean and user friendly. The one thing I would like to bring to everyone's attention as being a negative is that there was no hairdryer in my room! Many wouldn't regard this as an issue but when you go there expecting there to be one and there isn't, a bit of a problem!

Excellent hotel though. Great breakfast. Will stay there many times from now on so I'm happy about that.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nick_grimsley
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed on business for 1 night. Room nice. Good TV, decent bathroom. Comfortable bed. Food seemed expensive - I had a cheese & bacon burger + onion rings, with cheesecake which came to just over 30 quid when the 5 pound room service charge was added on. It was a very nice burger by the way. Probably would stay agan, but would eat out

1 Thank Chris G
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Well kept grounds plenty of parking small room with en suite shower small but nicely equipped and tiled. 100% for cleanliness comfy stiff mattress lots of drawer space limited wardrobe though. My wife and I both chose lamb rump for dinner very hot and attractively served on a slate tile, it was first class. The bar was very well presented and stocked. Breakfast was equally good and plentiful and hot make sure you order your fried or poached eggs on arrival! really good food at a fair price.I think I would contemplate booking a function here.The smallest of downsides are here but it would be churlish for me to distract anyone from enjoying this hotel. it has the rumble of road from the motorway and they do need air con in the rooms but there is air con in the communal areas. We had A standard room you can upgrade to larger but for us we were very satisfied and we are not easily pleased. Well done to the Aubrey !!

Room Tip: There is no fitness centre or swimming pool
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank obessional
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#6 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#7 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gatew...
#5 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Aubrey Park Hotel? Share your experiences!