“There are better”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
York, United Kingdom
“There are better”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel staff have been very friendly over my two stays in recent weeks, but unfortunately the rooms are just not up to scratch compared to others in the area. No air conditioning, with windows that open only a small amount and the hotel is very close to the M1. If you are unlucky you get a room that looks directly onto the M1, so therefore noise is an issue when you need to sleep with the window open during warm weather. Otherwise, the evening menu is good, with well presented and attentive staff and there is a very comprehensive choice for breakfast. The location is obviously easy from the M1 and parking seems plentiful with a main car park in the front and additional parking at the rear of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ingazco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Leeds
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Arrived here at 9.30pm after a very long day to discover the hotel had double booked my room and had no space to accomodate me. Apparently they only realised this when I arrived (wonder if they would have been so astute in waiving my cancellation fee had I not turned up - something they were presumably counting on.
Lax and unprofessional - I often travel to this area for business - this is the first and last time I will use this hotel.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank SarahTiredTraveller
FOM_AubreyPark, Front Office Manager at Aubrey Park Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
SarahTiredtraveller.

I am sorry that you felt the need to put your comments on trip advisor, especially after my team fully accepted responsibility and had already organised a room for 2 nights in a 5 star property where we paid the rate difference and complimentary travel to the hotel courtesy of us.

As explained when we contacted you at the earliest convenience the following morning it was a genuine booking oversight at the Aubrey Park

As discussed, we do not operate an overbooking policy and our primary objective was to minimise the impact of the inconvenience .

I do hope you will accept our offer of returning to the hotel for a memorable experience for all the right reasons.

Best wishes

Travellers are raving about these Hemel Hempstead hotels

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

As I drove up to the Aubrey Park, the entrance is very quaint and the building itself looks like a lovely country hotel. Sadly there was no parking in the main carpark so I had to park round the back. The back of the hotel reminded me of a 1970's comprehensive school and was very uninspiring. Check-in was quick and efficient. The rooms are small and have one major flaw, no net curtains or blinds, so you are either in darkness with the curtains closed or in full view of anyone who passes by. Another downside is no aircon, which means you have to have windows (and curtains) open. Now for the really good bit.....the food in the restaurant is fabulous. Cooked to perfection and well presented. The service is spot on and the staff very attentive and approachable (on the whole), and they take tastecard, turning an expensive(ish) meal into an affordable one. The bar was a little busy, but it was during the World Cup. I have stayed here several times now and will be staying again soon

Room Tip: Ask for one near reception because some of them are a long walk away
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nismo350z
Daer Kevlead67

thank you for your feedback.

We are looking at the possibility of net curtains to improve the quality of our guest stay.

I was delighted to be able to read out in the morning meeting about how nice the food and approachable to staff were so thank you for those comments the team really appreciated them.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed for a night here, arrived in the early hours of the morning and given my room number quickly by the polite receptionist, took me a little while to actually find my room however as the signage really is a little poor, probably didn't help that i was sleep deprived mind. lovely modern, exceptionally clean room, would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Bahti A

I'm so pleased you enjoyed our modern and clean rooms and I hope after your long journey you enjoy a well earned rest.

No doubt I will see you back very soon when your next are looking for accommodation in the area.

Many thanks again for your review

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms are of a modern feel but very hot with no air conditioning so sleeping was a struggle, the Wi Fi doesn't work throughout the hotel. Poor organisation for weddings with the manager having to be told that one member of staff on the bar is no good as the queue was never ending.
We had booked three rooms but upon arrival they said we only had one. However the staff did manage to get the other two rooms for us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Adam C
Dear Adam C

Thank you for staying with us recently and I hoped you enjoyed the wedding.

I'm glad the team managed to rectify the booking issue and I will be investigating as to what happened but apologies for the mix up.

We have taken on the feedback regarding the air conditioning and recently purchased more fans for our guests to use as well as the child lock being able to be removed to allow the window to open fully.

It is my understanding that the WI-FI was only down for 10minutes whilst we reset the system and a second barman was sent on the request of some guests at the function.

I very much hope we will see you back at the Aubrey Park very soon

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Overall this hotel is quite nice. Easy to get to, yet far enough away from main roads so noise isn't an issue. The grounds are quite nice, and it's close to a walk/cycle track if you fancy walking to nearby villages/towns.

Rooms are nice, clean and functional. The hotel has a strange layout, and some rooms are hard to find, not helped by poor signage. Wifi in hotel is very welcome.

Plumbing seems to be an issue. Hot water temperature and flow varies, in particular in the morning, I'm guessing when other guests are drawing on it. Not an issue I've experience elsewhere.

The administration of this hotel lets it down. I've experienced twice being challenged at breakfast time that it's not included, when I paid a rate that did include it. Once I was charged for breakfast separately, even though it was in the room rate. Once I went to check out to be told it had already been paid - another guest had been charged my bill by mistake.

Overall I think this hotel is good. It's not "very good", hence the average rating on here, but I will use it again.

Room Tip: Rooms numbered above 267 (I think) are a pain to get to, due to the odd layout of the read part of t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Macboy5

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the great Wi-Fi connection we have here, and you had the time to explore the grounds.

We are also exploring the option of giving our customers small maps to find there way on first time visits.

I apologise about the administration mix up regarding breakfast and when re-booking come directly through me and ill be happy to compliment this on your next visit.

Nick.vincent@aubreypark.co.uk

I look forward to seeing you back at Aubrey Park

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked on a room deal for an evening out nearby. Reasonable price for just that purpose. Hotel looks ok from outside but interior a bit dated. However bedrooms seem to have all been refurbished and are quite smart so maybe they are working on the rest. We stayed on a particularly warm night so would've been nice to not have restricted openings of windows as no air-con. The different floor layers were very confusing and led to many a wrong turn. We didn't eat or drink at this hotel so have no comments in that regard. Reception staff were friendly & helpful. Hotel ideal for a stopover but probably wouldn't want to have stayed much longer

Room Tip: Rooms all seemed quiet with good double glazing, unable to hear the traffic from M1
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nomorewine
Dear Nomorewine

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Its great to hear that the team made you feel welcome on arrival and you felt the benefit of our £5 million refurbishment.

We are now introducing little maps for our customer to assist in helping them to their room

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Aubrey Park in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#7 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#6 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans

Been to Aubrey Park Hotel? Share your experiences!