“Another good meal”

The Fishery Inn
Ranked #45 of 180 Restaurants in Hemel Hempstead
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Simply put, The Fishery Inn in Hemel Hempstead is a fabulous waterside pub serving up tasty, top-notch food (including fresh fish, delivered daily), alongside an eclectic range of wines and cask ales in cosy, stylish surroundings. Enjoy a spot of alfresco eating and drinking overlooking the Grand Union canal, dine with a difference in our opulently furnished restaurant, or cosy up to our crackling fires in the winter. Lovely.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I decided to book at the Fisheries for a family lunch as we have previously had both good food and good service here.
I'm glad I did, the staff were again friendly and welcoming, the food was very good and overall it was exactly what I wanted - an enjoyable lunch, with nice surroundings.
I will no doubt, be booking another return visit.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

First can i say this restaurant used to be lovely, and I enjoyed many family dinners there. I went there last night with my family and arrived on time for our table for six. We were immediately seated and then ignored for half an hour. No drinks were offered and no menus. This was 8pm and the noise in the restaurant was incredibly loud with children screaming and running about the tables uncontrolled. I can understand waiting when a restaurant is busy but I cannot abide being completely ignored, it is offensive and insulting. The food is at best average though I did not even eat half of mine as it had clearly been kept warm for an age, it was very dried out and lacking any real taste. Also when my son had a nosebleed, I had to rush him outside as he was dripping blood, the waitress had to move to let us through and made a big sarcastic curtsy when she did so which just made me more angry. The worst service and atmosphere I have ever eaten in. I would not go back to this hole if you paid me.

1  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 1 July 2014

my husband and I had heard bad reports on the fishery, but we decided to find out for ourselves.
I reserved a table online for 5.30. we got there a was shown to a table for 2 waitress was very nice, we ordered a starter fish meze, it was lovely, then we had sea bass very nice again, bit cold but nice, 2 bottles of French rose very nice, I then ordered a cheeseboard it was by this time 7.30, about 7.50 the waitress came and tried to take our cheeseboard which we were still eating.
Then she told us our table was needed, and that we could move to the bar area! we were not told tis when I booked the table I wasn't looking for fast food, but a nice relaxing evening. I asked where the manager was but he didn't appear, we paid the bill which was 96 gbp plus 10 gbp tip.
and we left, I will never go there again it was humiliating, and very disappointing.

1  Thank hazel c
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here loads but service is worse than ever just not enough bar staff on.
The final nail in the coffin was the old , blonde bird behind the bar who was miserable, monosyllabic and clearly wanted to be somewhere else rather than take my order. Well love its your job!
As someone who spends a lot of time in the USA where service is fabulous I found her attitude to be disgraceful. I will certainly dissuade anyone I know from visiting this venue.
Plenty of good pubs along the canal folks .....choose another.

2  Thank Springburn1962
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Food at the Fishery seems to vary - sometimes it is good then another time it could be not so good. Depends on the chef I guess