“Dreadful start, disappointing overall”

The Watermill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Uckfield, UK
“Dreadful start, disappointing overall”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Dreadful start to a 2 night stay. The postcode, on my booking confirmation, was wrong. I called the hotel and they could not give me directions but gave me an alternative postcode. I arrived after a further 10 minute drive. There were 2 fairly small carparks, which were full. So I had to park in the overflow carpark in a very muddy field (so muddy that my car wheels span and threw mud all over the car). The walk to the hotel with no lighting, with my case and on a slippery slope was an accident waiting to happen. UNACCEPTABLE - sorry!
The bedroom was pleasant but very cold (not a problem for me, but would be for some). However, it was in a separate block to the reception areas. I was 3 rooms in from the entrance which was open to anyone to walk in. I didn't really feel that safe. There was a lot of noise from the road and the bedroom walls seemed paper thin (I was a little worried when neighbours arrived and I could hear everything, but this turned out not to be a problem, fortunately).
Breakfast on Monday morning was mediocre (small choice of food, had to order cooked but there was no one around to take the order). Breakfast was good on Tuesday, more choice and a cooked buffet...rather odd.
Needless to say, I would not return and am unlikely to book another Best Western!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I booked into here with work as a hotel of last resort. My previous experiences with best western hotels have been far from favourable! However I found the room of more than acceptable quality. But what really made the stay was the friendliness of the hotel staff. The only reason I have not given this a 5 star rating was the Wi-Fi seemed to grind to a halt as soon as it got past 6pm and the demand from all the guests seemed to overwhelm it.. Keep up the good work

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank unom3
watermillhotel, Manager at The Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. It gives me great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the room and felt the staff were friendly.

With regards to the Wi-Fi access I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties with the strength of our internet signal. As part of our recent improvements we have introduced a better Wi-Fi system and I hope that the next time you visit us you will have a better experience with the Wi-Fi.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Best Western The Watermill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

Stayed for a night, had really nice meal in the bar. Room was large, clean, overall was a nice place

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

We went to attend a friend' s wedding and it didn' t dissapoint the service and food was first class. Wished we could stay longer and enjoy the greenery and location.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed here October for one night
Put in the block on the left from the reception, room a little worse for ware shower not good at all but the noise from the water pump was something else I was woken up at 2am by this banging from someone flushing there toilet...so ok it's not the ritz but this was £85.00 a night
Anyway next morning do I complain or not I go to check out and I am gob smacked when the guy says that's £110.00 please drinks on top of the room cost and shows me the signiture for the drinks I said I don't think so it's not my writing and the guy stood next to me says that's me lol. So then I start to tell this assistant manager my complaint and he just takes my money hello anyway I got 30% off the price and I won't be going back

Travellers are raving about these Hemel Hempstead hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stay at this hotel in september 2011
Rooms are good and clean.
Breackfast staff no good as they did not speak english or they dont like serving the customers properly. Breackfast room very dirty.
Reception staff were very bad training, unfriendly and no manager around to complain and, not enough with this, when I return to my room I see a supervisor indian lady screamen to the lady who was checking the rooms.
The rooms are very nice and clean. If you are the manageress, please you do not need to scream and better keep attention to reception and breackfast room.
I recomending this hotel because the rooms are clean but other areas are not customer friendly,

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
London, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

The overall experience was not great, Attitude of some of the male staff did not make me feel at all welcome.
A smile would have helped in welcome.
Restaurant service and friendliness was very good.
Bar staff were very good and again I felt welcome.
I beleive the management are the ones who need training in manners and friendliness.
I apologise for being so blunt, but I would seriously doubt if I would use the hotel again.
I stay in hotels at least 3 times a week, but use mostly Inter Continental Hotel group.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business