Whilst I have no complaints about the room, I do have a serious complaint regarding the service in the restaurant. My husband & I went down for breakfast at approximately 9.15am on the Sunday morning. The restaurant wasn't full, there were several empty tables. There was not one table clear, all had dirty dishes on them. We cleared a table ourselves. The table next to us, once vacated, was disgusting. Food all over the floor, the table & chairs. There was coffee spilt all over it. The table remained like this for the duration of the time we were in the restaurant. Several more people arrived for breakfast, some of whom were with our party. There was no waitress around, we again cleared a table. The waitress, when she appeared had a baby on her hip & was filling up the hot buffet! The baby was in & out of the kitchen with her. When we eventually got her attention she came over, still with baby attached & said she was sorry she would clear a table, which she started to do with the baby still on her hip! When we questioned what she was doing, she passed the baby to someone she obviously knew who was having breakfast. At this point we left as we were unable to eat in a restaurant which was little better than a farm yard.
This was a serious breach of health & safety. the service was appalling & there appeared to be no one who was in charge or prepared to take responsibility. The staffing levels were ridiculous. After we, & others complained, the staffing suddenly improved so we were informed. We returned to the restaurant approximately 20 minutes later to say goodbye to friends who were also disgusted with the service, the floor was still covered in food and whilst suddenly the staffing had trebled in number, the service was almost as bad.
I have stayed in Best Western hotels prior to this and have never seen such an appalling restaurant. In fact, I have never been in any restaurant or cafe which has been as bad before.
Had I been a 'secret shopper', hotel inspector, food standards inspector or similar, thia hotel would certainly be facing some serious consequences. As far as food hygiene standards are concerned a baby in & out of the kitchen would probably have closed the restaurant.
What should have been a pleasant weekend was completely over shadowed by this appalling incident. The lack of general care and no senior staff wiling to take control was quite remarkable. The lady on the reception seemed unable to comprehend the seriousness of a baby being carted around the hot food, the kitchens & the dining room as she informed us the child belonged to someone who stayed at the hotel full time, that obviously makes it alright then! The lack of management was obvious, the lack of care was all too obvious. Would never stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Watermill Hotel, one of the finest modern Hotels in Hemel Hempstead is built around an old flour mill and offers excellent accommodations in Hemel Hempstead with a panoramic view of River Bulbourne threading through the property. Experience a serene, Old World retreat from bustling city life in this picturesque modern hotel. A convenient getaway venue with plenty of spacious free car parking. Watermill also offers wonderful amenities and hospitality for a relaxing stay, with convenient access to the area's tourist, industrial and commercial centres. Our hotel in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire include 71 tastefully appointed rooms, several with beautiful views of the lush green meadows and the River Bulbourne. A blend of refined luxury and and refreshing tranquility is sure to romance both leisure and business travelers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Watermill Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Watermill
- Hemel Hempstead Best Western
- Best Western Hemel Hempstead