“Nice quiet place”

The Watermill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is a nice hotel in the countryside. We had a very large room with a vey good bed. We only miss a frige and a safe in the room.
We had breakfast and a buffe dinner and the food was very good.
We will use tthis hotel agin if we visit this part of England.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here Saturday 28th September. The bed was soft and as such not good for us and our backs - it might work for others. The duvet was very thin and no extra blankets/pillows etc. left in room. Told not to drink tap water but only one small bottle of water each as replacement. The shower's temperature regulator failed so it was not possible to take a shower as too hot. Old school decor in need of an update and the staff whilst helpful were so busy and slow that really it needed more people on the front desk and the bar.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Whilst I have no complaints about the room, I do have a serious complaint regarding the service in the restaurant. My husband & I went down for breakfast at approximately 9.15am on the Sunday morning. The restaurant wasn't full, there were several empty tables. There was not one table clear, all had dirty dishes on them. We cleared a table ourselves. The table next to us, once vacated, was disgusting. Food all over the floor, the table & chairs. There was coffee spilt all over it. The table remained like this for the duration of the time we were in the restaurant. Several more people arrived for breakfast, some of whom were with our party. There was no waitress around, we again cleared a table. The waitress, when she appeared had a baby on her hip & was filling up the hot buffet! The baby was in & out of the kitchen with her. When we eventually got her attention she came over, still with baby attached & said she was sorry she would clear a table, which she started to do with the baby still on her hip! When we questioned what she was doing, she passed the baby to someone she obviously knew who was having breakfast. At this point we left as we were unable to eat in a restaurant which was little better than a farm yard.
This was a serious breach of health & safety. the service was appalling & there appeared to be no one who was in charge or prepared to take responsibility. The staffing levels were ridiculous. After we, & others complained, the staffing suddenly improved so we were informed. We returned to the restaurant approximately 20 minutes later to say goodbye to friends who were also disgusted with the service, the floor was still covered in food and whilst suddenly the staffing had trebled in number, the service was almost as bad.
I have stayed in Best Western hotels prior to this and have never seen such an appalling restaurant. In fact, I have never been in any restaurant or cafe which has been as bad before.
Had I been a 'secret shopper', hotel inspector, food standards inspector or similar, thia hotel would certainly be facing some serious consequences. As far as food hygiene standards are concerned a baby in & out of the kitchen would probably have closed the restaurant.
What should have been a pleasant weekend was completely over shadowed by this appalling incident. The lack of general care and no senior staff wiling to take control was quite remarkable. The lady on the reception seemed unable to comprehend the seriousness of a baby being carted around the hot food, the kitchens & the dining room as she informed us the child belonged to someone who stayed at the hotel full time, that obviously makes it alright then! The lack of management was obvious, the lack of care was all too obvious. Would never stay there again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
watermillhotel, Manager at The Watermill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Sheila S,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, and your e-mail to our central office.

I am so sorry the service you and your partner have received was not to your or our satisfaction. We always try and maintain the best customer service and high standards at the hotel. I have received your comments also via our central office, which i know have been in contact with you. I hope you have found our gesture satisfactory, and that we truly are sorry about the issues which occurred.

Please be assured we have discussed your comments with the team and we have taken disciplinary action where required I have personally ensured this has been carried out as per our company policy. This sort of issues or problems are rare to find, however we have taken necessary steps to ensure that never happens again.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here for one night was a good place overall, will be back in future. Good food and good rooms, the staff were all happy and smiles all round when being served. I stayed in superior room which was nice and big, with free amenities in the room and plasma tv with free view channels

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed here for one night in July when visiting family nearby. Great location on the main road with no sound from passing traffic. There's a pub across the road too!

We arrived late but just in time to catch last orders for bar snacks. The food was good as was the breakfast the following morning.

The bar area is nice with the river passing through under neath.

The rooms are just what you need for a nights stay, decent in size with a good bathroom. The room itself was light, the only niggle was I could hear the passing river at first but soon got used to this.

Will be staying again when visiting family.

Just a little point - the sat nav post code leads you down a small single track road to a garage at the bottom, the hotel is actually on the main road, your sat nav will ask you to turn off, just across the road from the pub!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have stayed in the Watermill previously and we liked it so much so we decided to book our wedding ceremony which was held in the hotel on 2/8/13. Also our sit down meal and evening reception and a number of our guests (including ourselves) stayed over night. I have to say that the day was fantastic and the personal touch that the manager Manish and his team put in is wonderful. The wedding planner Ade was also exceptional. All of our guests commented on just how relaxed they felt at the hotel and how friendly the staff members were. The decking area is stunning and we have the most beautiful pictures taken on the grounds. All in all a wonderful day and I can't thank all the staff enough for making it so special. We will definitely be visiting again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tara V
watermillhotel, Manager at The Watermill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Tara,
Firstly, a big congratulations on your big day and I hope that you enjoyed your honeymoon. Delighted to hear that yourselves and your guests had a great day, I remember from the day I met you that I emphasized that you are in safe hands and that you would have an amazing day. I know that most of my team have read your comments and they are definitely very happy to hear that their service and efforts went down well. I am sure I will see you again in the near future, please do give my regards to your other half (or shall I say your Husband :) ). Thank you again for choosing us, and for your wonderful comments.

Many Thanks,
Manish Patel and #teamwatermill

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed for 1 night last week and very impressed with the hotel and value of the deal.
Dinner, bed and breakfast deal on the hotel's web site with one of their better rooms for the same price as the Premier Inn in Hemel for B&B.
Room was spacious and clean with free Wi-Fi.
Meal deal allowed me any two courses off the menu, menu was fairly limited but food was good and a small menu usually means they prepare the food in house.
All the staff were very friendly and i even got a call in my morning I left to say i had left my tablet computer behind.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BryanScaife

Dear BryanScaife,
Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed the hotel, especially glad to see that for the same B&B rate in a ‘Premier Inn’ you were able to get the same price with a meal included at our hotel. Just goes to show you can get good valve for money when you shop around! Good to see that you liked the meal, as always our food is freshly cooked in house on a daily basis. I hope that I can see you again when you next visit, many thanks for the feedback,
Have a good day,

Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway

Been to The Watermill Hotel? Share your experiences!