We have just returned from a night here. It was chosen for its location, as we were visiting the Harry potter studio tour the next day. By car this hotel is situated a very convenient 10 mins drive away. We arrived mid afternoon on a Sunday, it was starting to get dark and was a grotty day. So we were pleased to get into the room, which is available to check into from 2pm. We had pre-booked via the best western website and opted for a superior double room. Some of the rooms are away from the main hotel block in stand alone blocks, similar to some hotels I have stayed at in Spain. We were very impressed with the size of the room, the bed and the modern fresh decor. The only thing we noticed was it was a little cold. However, upon checking with reception I was informed the heating was on a timer and due on at 4pm. So, we had a cup of tea and sure enough, the heat came on as promised. It was very cosy and pleasant indeed. The only point I would make here is that if check in is from 2pm it would make a better impression if the room was warm on arrival, but this wasn't a major issue. In relation to the rest of the essentials, the bathroom was clean, tidy and supplied with plenty of hot water, a good shower and bath as well as good quality toiletries. The bed was massive and we found it very comfortable. Large tv with 70+ free view channels.
The hotel itself is I believe, a former flour mill and as such is situated around a river, with a mill pond and weir etc. we didn't really have opportunity to fully appreciate this due to the weather, however in the summer I think this would be quite perfect.
At 6.30pm we headed across to the bar area with thoughts of having a meal. We hadn't yet decided if we would go go into the restaurant or, eat in the bar as both were available. The bar menu was reasonable and okay for a quick fix. However, we thought we might have a nice meal in the restaurant. This wasn't quite open yet so we asked at reception if there was a menu available to view. We were told no, the restaurant was CLOSED due to a private function, but bar menu was still available. We were a little disappointed and felt this closure should have been mentioned when booking or at check in. However, we ordered at the bar and the food arrived within about 20 mins. I had a chicken and chorizo burger and my wife had a pasta dish. The food was ok for bar food, but there wasn't much atmosphere. I then returned to the bar at 7.30pm to order deserts to be told that the chef had gone home. I was surprised by this, however given the time of year and how quiet the hotel was I do understand. So, instead we retreated to our room and enjoyed a comfortable stay. Breakfast was of a reasonable quality, good choice of continental and full English cooked to order.
I appreciate this was a Sunday stay between Christmas and new year, and this may be why we encountered the issues with the restaurant. This is the only reason I have marked it down. We would stay here again based on everything else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Watermill Hotel, one of the finest modern Hotels in Hemel Hempstead is built around an old flour mill and offers excellent accommodations in Hemel Hempstead with a panoramic view of River Bulbourne threading through the property. Experience a serene, Old World retreat from bustling city life in this picturesque modern hotel. A convenient getaway venue with plenty of spacious free car parking. Watermill also offers wonderful amenities and hospitality for a relaxing stay, with convenient access to the area's tourist, industrial and commercial centres. Our hotel in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire include 71 tastefully appointed rooms, several with beautiful views of the lush green meadows and the River Bulbourne. A blend of refined luxury and and refreshing tranquility is sure to romance both leisure and business travelers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your The Watermill Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Watermill
- Hemel Hempstead Best Western
- Best Western Hemel Hempstead