Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$73
The Watermill Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
US$115
Shendish Manor Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$74
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$75
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$57
Travelodge
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$55
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
Two Brewers Hotel(Chipperfield)
US$70
All reviewshealth clubnational holidayssteam roomswimming poolstayed herepancake machineleisure facilitiestrouser pressharry potter studiosevening mealexecutive roombar foodcoach partylarge car parkreception staffthe sofa bedan iron
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Used this hotel on 3 or 4 previous occasions while visiting the nearby snow centre. Not quite as modern as the nearby HI express or the Premier Inn at Kings Langley but for approx the same price you do have excellent leisure facilities (pool, gym etc), first class manager and staff and a top class breakfast option.
As I said it's not the most modern hotel but don't let this put you off as it is always very clean and not as dated as a lot of other hotels I've stayed in.
A small M & S in the garage next door is a bonus.
Overall an excellent hotel and I'm looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Thank you very much for your positive comments. I will pass them onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2012

The hotel is very easy to find just 2 minutes off the motorwat, there is plenty of free parking, and the reception is typical of a Holiday Inn. The check in was efficient and the hotel had kindly put on kids packs for all children arriving - a nice touch.

The room we were in was again typical Holiday Inn, an good size, decent bed, good tv/internet etc but it is just a touch dated in areas of the bathroom. For the money we were paying it was fine (booked last minute via laterooms.com) especially as breakfast was included.

The bar is smart enough, but despite having plenty of staff and managers walking around, things don't seem to happen too quickly. The draught beers choice could be a lot better (I am in the industry and the Inbev package alone is just not very good) and prices are steep, £4 for a pint of Stella, £7.39 (ish) for a 250ml reasonable Sauvignon Blanc,they are central London prices. Also cant understand why they price in pennies ie £2.36, £4.27 etc, crazy in this day and age, just round them up to the nearest 5p and the could do themselves and us a favour. The bar is also a light bright and could do with dimining later in the evening.

Then the bit I hate most about hotels, as we hadn't booked a table we were then given the also ran treatment despite the fact that the restaurant was nearly empty. We were sat on a table laid for breakfast in a small section that was completely set for brekfast. If the restaurant is busy then set the whole restaurant, if it is not let us sit in the main area -aaarrgghh! The carvery salad bar was not great so we went a la carte instead. It was ok but nothing special and the bottle of sparkling wine we ordered with dinner was not chilled. We ordered a kids meal (which is free with an adult main course) but it was charged for on the bill until we pointed it out, how many people wouldn't spot that. Sunday breakfast was similar with most of the restaurant unset after people eating, but the English was good even if the fruit a bit lacking in choice.

The check out was efficent and the health club is good with a good gym, nice pool, sauna & steam room. I also had a nice massage which was reasonably priced. All in all, a decent enough hotel but the unecessary little things are annoying as always.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your positive comments, we appreciate you taking the time to write up your view on this site.

In food and beverage we still have room to improve and we will use you comments for training purposes, many thanks for your honest feedback.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Have just returned from a one night stay, our reason for the visit was to take the Harry Potter Studio Tour at Leavesden Studios. The hotel is 20 minute drive from the studios which is perfect. The hotel it's self was lovely and staff very helpful, our check in was quick which is good after travelling all day from Scotland. My only complaint was our first rooms toilet didn't work properly, but after we told the girl at reception she changed rooms for us with no problem. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2012

Many thanks for your positive review. With Harry Potter being a new experience in the area, we are hoping to attract more bookings, because as you say we are very close!

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed here last week. Positives include free parking and the customer receptionist/room service. Also there is free gym access. But that is where it ends.

Negatives: Unclean. Bottom half of toilet seat was yellow (sorry if you're eating and reading this), lots of lime scale on the taps and bath tiles. Room service is extremely expensive. And check this...it costs £5 for 1 hour of internet £10 for 4 hours internet and £16 for 24 hours internet?! They have to be kidding. I along with many others don't stay here because we need the internet in the evenings. Potentially, they lost £400pp a week because of the internet prices. They are unwilling to compromise over the price too. Breakfast isnt great as the selection is poor and very bog standard.

I've noticed that Holiday Inn have only responded to comments on this website to those who haven't mentioned the ridiculous internet price. They know they don't have a response for it that's why!

Room Tip: Tip: Don't book here, pick the Hilton in Watford as it is just as close and cheaper.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Sunny P
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We would like the chance of speaking to you, if you could either contact me or Russell Phillips to discuss the points you have raised.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Booked this hotel as I needed to break a long journey. Stayed with two children in the room. I guess it would have been a bit squashed with maximum occupancy of four people in the room.
The room could do with an update and the bathroom fittings looked tired. When I mentioned this at reception I was informed the room was due for refurbishment. But these were my only grudges. Had I paid the advertised room rate of over £100 I would have expected better. But I did not. So I found a nice clean room with comfortable beds (my son prefered it to his at home) a good night's sleep in quiet surroundings, friendly efficient staff (Emma at reception deserves a special mention), a refreshing dip in a clean pool and a lovely breakfast from the extensive buffet. Next time I have to make sure to plan in more time to actually stay at th hotel and use the facilities a little more.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family