“Great hotel for trips to London”

Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Cheshire, UK
“Great hotel for trips to London”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel is perfect if you are planning a trip to London but don't want to pay city centre prices! It is very clean (pristine in fact and I have VERY high standards!), very comfortable and lovely and quiet. I've read a review on here about the reception staff not being very welcoming...not sure who was on for that person, but the ladies that were on reception when my husband and I stayed were lovely, very helpful, very welcoming and very efficient. We didn;t actually eat here, as it was just a one night stop over, so I can't comment on the food, but it is a lovely hotel. The take-away coffee on departure in the morning is a lovely thing to offer. All in all, really nice hotel, we enjoyed our stay. I think this is the only chain hotel I've stayed in where the duvet was actually luxuriously large on the bed so that you could snuggle in it and get wrapped up! For me that was a massive plus as I am usually quite cold at night. Also, heat can be regulated in the room which is also a plus point. Shower was fantastic too!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Many thanks for your lovely review, we really appreciate you taking the time to put your enjoyable stay in writing. I will pass on your kind comments regarding my team, they will be delighted that you had a great time!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
East Midlands
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed here overnight while on business in London, its in a very quiet location near to the M1. The staff on reception were not very welcoming, the room was OK but basic, bar prices inflated and the breakfast morning after was average. There is nothing to do at this hotel other than watch TV or read the newspaper. For the price paid would definitely not return having stayed in other budget hotels and got much more value for money, its a very expensive place to rest your head!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
I am sorry that you felt that we did not come up to your expectations. If you would like to discuss this directly with myself or my Operations Manger, Russell Phillips, we would be happy to go through the points that you have raised.

Many thanks.
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed in this hotel as part of a coach trip to London. Room was nice & clean.Bed extremely comfortable. Quiet and peaceful at night. This hotel is ideal if you dont want to spend too much time in your hotel. Breakfast is self service and good selection available, however fried food not very tasty. Dinner again is average. Service is very quick but food not very tasty. Deserts were nice and a good choice available. Starter and desert were self service. Main course was a carvery and helpings were quite small. However, as our trip was mainly concentrated on sight seeing around London and not on fancy food, this hotel was adequate for our needs.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Thank you for writing such a great review. We really appreciate your feedback. I have taken note of your points regarding food during your stay.

I hope that we can welcome you back very soon!
Hadleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My wife and I stayed here 1 night.

The cons: room was a little chilly with no way to warm it up as the heating/cooling is automatic based on the season of the year.

Bathroom furniture a little dated and there was no obvious way to get the shower to work. It has 2 rotary dials which did nothing at all, so had a bath instead.

The pros: excellent bed great nights sleep. Room was of a good size. The meals we had ie dinner and breakfast were first class well cooked and large helpings. The staff were all very polite and efficient, and one staff member not using the cash machine in the hotel which charges 1.75 for a transaction, but suggested crossing the road to the garage opposite and using their's which was free.

One surprise was a 1 pound service charge on two glasses of wine purchased from the bar to have with our dinner, something we had not encountered before.

Overall a well earned 4 stars

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank havingpassedthrough
Thank you for writing such a great review! I will pass on your comments to the team, they really appreciate it when guests compliment their hard work.

I have also taken note about the heating.

I hope that we can welcome you back very soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This hotel is a money trap offering little value for guests. Where do I start:
- The room was very basic barely a 2 star hotel room even though they rate themselves as 3 stars. Nothing about it was comfortable and inviting, from the tiny beds, to old and worn furnishings, to the laughable bathrooms. I didn't sleep well there at all
- It was a non-smoking room but as soon as you open the door your blown away with the smell of smoke, phew
- The room prices were astonishingly high at well over 100 quid before VAT, even with a corporate rate. For this price I would expect a bunch of extras, think again
- The internet speed and quality was good, but at astonishingly high rate 30 pounds for 3 days of service, just do your own mobile broadband instead
- A free breakfast would be nice right? Think again for 15 pounds you can get a basic meal, poor value
- The staff was friendly up to a point, but because the hotel is a bit of a rat race with people constantly coming and going and they do not enough staff to go around. They're nice but don't expect too many favors (got many of the "do I have to looks?" when I asked for things).

I don't know the local area well, but this must be one of the better places to stay and they know it (scary) charging big city prices for a below average product. This was a very below grade Holiday Inn experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. You have mentioned quite a few areas, so if you would like to contact either myself or Russell Phillips my Operations Manager to discuss, we would be pleased to go through each point with you.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed here for one night with our 11 year old daughter the staff were very helpful and friendly. Room was clean and well equipped would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.
yorkshire
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Stayed here for two nights with our two children.All staff we came across were lovely and helpful .Nice room , very comfortable a quite good nights sleep. We all went into the pool and sauna.Breakfast was nice with plenty of choice.Our stay here was booked for the convience of the Harry Potter studio tour which we all enjoyed.we hope to return in the future.

• Stayed June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central Hotel
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Cent...
#3 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,614 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8? Share your experiences!