“Stayed here for work in the area”

Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 4 days in September as I was working in the area. Checking in was a breeze. Nice big room. Quiet location. I had a room close to the gym but experienced no noise from there. Nice pool and sauna. Food was very good in the bar area. 5min cab ride to the town. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such positive comments, come back soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I spent 3 nights at this hotel due to a business trip to Hemel. Me and some of my colleagues chose this hotel as it is very close to our offices.

I arrived in the afternoon and got an standard room in the first floor. When I arrived I was shocked to see how dirty was the room. Stains in the toilet, the bathtub full of sand, the window frames very dirty and big spider on it. I went to reception and asked them politely to change me to another room or clean it immediately. The staff put bad face and told me they would send somebody to check. I went out of the hotel for 4 hours and when I came back to my surprise nothing had been done. Again I went to reception and same story. As room was not cleaned I had to take soap and one towel and clean by myself. Being in many hotels in my life I never experienced this, and this is totally improper by a so called 4 star hotel belonging to an international chain. Being also a Priority Club Gold member I expect to be treated better than this (even I had to contact Priority Club to add the points to my account as the staff did not do this task even that i provided my number).

I understand the room may have not been used for long time and somebody forgot to clean and to check, but once one customer complains about extreme dirtiness in the room the problem must be fixed immediately!

I used the swimming pool once. The installations are fine but quite dated. Being a health club, there are many non-guests using them, so they are usually crowded.

Breakfast is below average to what I have experienced at other Holiday Inn hotels.

Hotel has free parking outside of the building. There is no free wifi at the hotel, although this is normal at Holiday Inn.

Overall, a bad experience due to negligent staff. Now I understand why some colleagues who had been here prefer to stay at other hotels even that they are further to the office. It is quite unlikely I will stay there on my next business trip to Hemel.

Room Tip: avoid the standard rooms and check that they are clean
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank traveller_spain
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience, please contact either myself or Russell Phillips to discuss further, many thanks.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night (1st September 2012) whilst on a National Holidays weekend trip. We were met on the coach on arrival by the Hotel manager by the name of Lazarus. He was far and away the most efficient and courteous manager we've ever encountered. He issued all the passengers with their key card for their room on the coach thus avoiding the inevitable queuing at the reception desk. All the staff we encountered were very polite and helpful when needed. The food was excellent,well prepared and cooked and there was a very good choice of meal options.
We highly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your great comments, Lazarus and the rest of the team will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We recently stayed here on a 2 day National Holiday break to the Harry Potter Studios and London tour. The hotel is perfectly situated for this trip.Checking in was done on the bus by Lorenzo i think, sorry if i got your name wrong who was very pleasant, infact all the staff were very nice and helpful.The room was clean and comfortable, food was excellent for evening meal and breakfast just one little dig at the evening meal was that the hot meal was a Tex Mex buffet and a couple of people dont like spicy food but i enjoyed it.I would definately stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

1  Thank wezer123
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thank you for your comments, especially regarding my team, they will be very pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

We haven't stayed in this hotel for several years, so wondered if anything would have changed: i must say that our check in experience (with 2 kids under 6 in tow) was the best I have experienced anywhere in the world. Nothing was too much trouble. The kids were immediately treated with free popcorn, drinks and colouring books, keeping them quite during the usual checkin formalities. Our room was air-conditioned, and large enough for our double bed, a cot and a single bed. Good storage space and friendly staff helping us with our bags. The gym was well equipped. Pool, sauna and changing facilities were good. In the evening we had dinner in the restaurant, a 3 course carvery for £15.95 which we thought was very good value and we were not disappointed. Afterwards in the bar, the TVs were showing the athletics from the Olympics and the atmosphere was excellent. Our kids were sorry to leave the next morning. We really enjoyed our stay and it certainly helped to make our Olympic trip an event we will not forget. Many thanks.

1  Thank Craig M

Thank you for your great review! We have had many people staying for the Olympics, enjoying the reduced rates that we can offer compared to London, and only being half an hour from London on the train.

My team will be delighted that you had such a great time!

Reviewed 27 August 2012

stayed here bank holiday weekend good room excellent staff three adults dbb for 134 pounds good food in evening excellent food at breakfest one of best hi breakfasts i have had highly recommended pool nice too and excellent tv

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for writing such a positive review, the team will really enjoy reading your comments.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Staff were friendly and helpful. When we arrived in the room, some teas/coffes/milks had not been replaced. The room (family room) was clean and tidy, and of a reasonable size for a family of four. The en-suite was ok, the shower was powerful, small but adequate bath. However the toilet flush was not efficient. We had an evening meal there and frankly I would not bother again - We had the carvery, the meat was nice, however the veg all tasted frozen not fresh and the deserts had been out too long and gone warm. The breakfasts, however, were excellent!
The swimming pool is quite small, but fine for a quick dip with the kids. There is a marks'n'spencer garage right next door is you wanted to buy some refreshments (there was a drinks cooler in the room too).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, I have taken note of your feedback especially the comments regarding the carvery.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#4 of 10 in St Albans
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway

Been to Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8? Share your experiences!