“Very pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband, special needs son and I stayed 1 night as part of an organised 'all inclusive' group.
We were met on the coach by Lazarus who was very courteous and extremely efficient, as were all the staff we encountered on entering the hotel and making our way to our room. He personally handed out our room keys while we were still on the coach and made us feel very welcome. Our meal was excellent and one of the best carvery meals we have had and all the dining room staff at breakfast and dinner were, again efficient, friendly and courteous. Sometimes on these 'all inclusive' coach packages we have been made to feel very much the 'poor relation' herded into a corner of the dining area so as not to annoy the PROPER guests! This was not the the case here. EXCELLENT ALL ROUND!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Many thanks for your comments, especially regarding my team. We believe all guests are "proper" guest!

Come back soon!

Reviewed 1 October 2012

The staff are very attentive and the food is excellent. We only stayed one night but would definately recommend this hotel. The pool was lovely with the best hot tub. Only thing I would say is make sure you dont adjoin the bridal suite!!

Room Tip: upgrade to deluxe
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your great reivew. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

We tried for an early check in but they were busy so arrived back at hotel late, however staff had done all needed and it was a swift key collection and away to standard room. On checking I found that the use of Trivago to check the price has meant we were an agency booking, which I did not want. Must remember to get the iata number taken off next time.Breakfast was not a great sensation as all self service including tea and coffee from thermos flasks , cool was the word not good for a hot drink!No black pudding and on the second day cold fried eggs.Next moan, smokers huddling in the front doorway so you had to face the fug to get into the hotel, Maybe they could arrange a gazebo nearby as there is plenty of room in the gardens.Next there were problems with the room. No bulb in bathroom,the door chain was replaced and then did not fit, the window did not close due to something obstructing the bottom of the window
So maintenance was poor.Pluses pool and all staff were fine parking good
However we come to a major problem. The staff at the hotel were aware that the power was to be turned off on Sunday morning.there was a small sign on the front desk on the Sunday Morning and no signs on the lifts or any information in the rooms . No one knew except for the front desk staff and this could have been a major problem if someone was not advies and was in the lift. This to my mind was very poor and reduced the rating for the hotel

Due to the points that you have raised in your review either myself or my Operations Manager would like the chance to speak to you regarding your comments. I look forward to speaking to you at your convenience.

Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 4 days in September as I was working in the area. Checking in was a breeze. Nice big room. Quiet location. I had a room close to the gym but experienced no noise from there. Nice pool and sauna. Food was very good in the bar area. 5min cab ride to the town. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such positive comments, come back soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I spent 3 nights at this hotel due to a business trip to Hemel. Me and some of my colleagues chose this hotel as it is very close to our offices.

I arrived in the afternoon and got an standard room in the first floor. When I arrived I was shocked to see how dirty was the room. Stains in the toilet, the bathtub full of sand, the window frames very dirty and big spider on it. I went to reception and asked them politely to change me to another room or clean it immediately. The staff put bad face and told me they would send somebody to check. I went out of the hotel for 4 hours and when I came back to my surprise nothing had been done. Again I went to reception and same story. As room was not cleaned I had to take soap and one towel and clean by myself. Being in many hotels in my life I never experienced this, and this is totally improper by a so called 4 star hotel belonging to an international chain. Being also a Priority Club Gold member I expect to be treated better than this (even I had to contact Priority Club to add the points to my account as the staff did not do this task even that i provided my number).

I understand the room may have not been used for long time and somebody forgot to clean and to check, but once one customer complains about extreme dirtiness in the room the problem must be fixed immediately!

I used the swimming pool once. The installations are fine but quite dated. Being a health club, there are many non-guests using them, so they are usually crowded.

Breakfast is below average to what I have experienced at other Holiday Inn hotels.

Hotel has free parking outside of the building. There is no free wifi at the hotel, although this is normal at Holiday Inn.

Overall, a bad experience due to negligent staff. Now I understand why some colleagues who had been here prefer to stay at other hotels even that they are further to the office. It is quite unlikely I will stay there on my next business trip to Hemel.

Room Tip: avoid the standard rooms and check that they are clean
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank traveller_spain
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience, please contact either myself or Russell Phillips to discuss further, many thanks.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night (1st September 2012) whilst on a National Holidays weekend trip. We were met on the coach on arrival by the Hotel manager by the name of Lazarus. He was far and away the most efficient and courteous manager we've ever encountered. He issued all the passengers with their key card for their room on the coach thus avoiding the inevitable queuing at the reception desk. All the staff we encountered were very polite and helpful when needed. The food was excellent,well prepared and cooked and there was a very good choice of meal options.
We highly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your great comments, Lazarus and the rest of the team will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We recently stayed here on a 2 day National Holiday break to the Harry Potter Studios and London tour. The hotel is perfectly situated for this trip.Checking in was done on the bus by Lorenzo i think, sorry if i got your name wrong who was very pleasant, infact all the staff were very nice and helpful.The room was clean and comfortable, food was excellent for evening meal and breakfast just one little dig at the evening meal was that the hot meal was a Tex Mex buffet and a couple of people dont like spicy food but i enjoyed it.I would definately stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank wezer123
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thank you for your comments, especially regarding my team, they will be very pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
#6 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redbourn

Been to Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8? Share your experiences!