“Shocking!!”

Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Im a HI Platinum member and booked to stay 2x nights, however i had a change of plan and checked out after 1x night, at which point i was informed that a £50 charge would accrue, I complained to the Manager and although it was reduced it wasnt removed.....I was disgusted because i often stay at HI Hotels and my company heavily use this hotel. To add to this the food in the bar was decidedly average and my room was seriously outdated.....do not stay here!!

2  Thank Adrian48
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Adrian48,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service. It's truly regrettable that your stay was negatively affected due to the early check out fee policy. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I am a ICG gold member, I travel the world over. My stay at this hotel ranks as the most forgetable. You know when you get the feeling a business is in trouble, well the clues are here. General condition, in need of refurbishment. Bathroom shampoo and soaps etc missing, not enough towels. I got the feeling the hotel was trying to squeeze every penny of profit out of you and that you were a sucker rather than a valued customer. There was a mix up with the room tarrif that I thought I could sort on arrival (90 quid room over charge). Nope, not up for discussion. No complementry breakfast and on the third attempt to enter room I was assighned a twin. Upon complaint I was referred to some small print about room allocation at the hotels discretion. The meal was also forgetabe, nothing wrong as such just tasteless and soggy. Staff were corporate powerless and not inlined to enguage in a balanced coversation about my concerns. IHG status means nothing to them. I felt they just wanted you fed and bedded and out. The art of the hotelier is lost on this place. Frankly not the way to treat a regular customer. My advice, unless you have no alternative, or you can get the room for 40 quid, give it a miss.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank jonathan r
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear jonathan r ,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stay at this hotel alot with work so I thought i would doa write up on it for others. Hemel gets busy during the week with business people staying over so book early if you want to get in. They have a nice gym and swimming pool which are great when your staying away. The bar and food are all good and i have never wanted for anything whilst staying there. Loads of parking available which is good.

Great staff at the hotel which makes the big difference.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Craig2996
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that as a regular guest with us you find everything to your expectations and that my teams look after you well.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

In some ways it feels a bit unfair to give this hotel a 3* review because I'm sure if we'd have been in one of the newly painted rooms and had a different member of staff on reception, our experience would be more positive.

However, from not being recognised or welcomed back as a Platinum card holder; to being asked "Have you been here before", me and my partner both replying "no", but then being told, "Here are your room keys... You know where you're going" (so proving the receptionist hadn't listened to our answer and was simply replaying platitudes); to the dirty chair in the room (see photos); to the blank look that greeted our free drink vouchers... All in all, it wasn't a positive experience.

But please don't let this put you off too much. The bed was clean, although slightly dated and the other staff were encountered were helpful and professional: a request for an iron brought a response within 5 minutes. The food in the restaurant was fair to good, although a bit expensive at £45 for two burgers and a drink each. [Oh, and I appreciate the till might automatically add 10% tip and then still leave a space for a gratuity... But that comes across as a trap for the inatenttive.]

So please continue to stay, and I'd be happy to give it another go. But it's a good Holiday Inn, not great.

Room Tip: Second floor was quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I apologise that you were not completely satisfied during your stay with us. Obviously we need to look at some areas to ensure that all our guests receive a first class experience on every visit. We trust that we can welcome you back again soon and that the stay will be excellent.

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Fantastic time. Great support from staff at the desk. Staff struggled a bit at breakfast but still very good overall. Use of gym , swimming pool and spa are all included in price.
Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your stay with us and the team looked after you. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a lovely, low-key hotel, conveniently situated off of the M1 and easy to find. There is plenty of parking and it's a short drive to the town centre which contains an 'old town' street with a variety of interesting restaurants. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, willingly changing my room to another I preferred. The room was clean and comfortable, with a nice, long sofa which was great. The room overlooked the car park so was very quiet. The leisure centre was a wonderful added bonus, open long hours (7am-10pm when we were there) with excellent facilities. A great price and overall a very enjoyable stay. As there is not much of interest in the immediate vicinity, the hotel would best suit people enroute to London or travelling somewhere in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the car park.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HeatherL018
Jill W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all the elements of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Great value stay just before Christmas. Staff very friendly, good clean facilities and food excellent. The rooms look a little bit tired, and we were warned about parties that night, but were not disturbed. Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#4 of 10 in St Albans
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway

Been to Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8? Share your experiences!