Myself, partner and two year old have just spent a Saturday night at this hotel. The location is very close to the M1, and yet there was little road noise, as our room faced onto trees. There is plenty of free parking.
Check-in was fast and efficient. All the staff we came across were professional and friendly.
The overall appearance of the hotel was good, modern decor and attractive hanging baskets outside the entrance. Here and there areas were slightly tired - however, I’ve seen much worse (eg: Holiday Inn Borehamwood!).
The leisure facilities include a well-equipped gym (at least four running machines) , a decent pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam-room.
Our ground-floor room was on the compact side. However, there was still plenty of space for a cot, a reasonable desk area, good storage space and a coffee table and chair. The air conditioning worked very well, and the room decor was pretty good and all was clean.
There is ISDN in the room, this and the WiFi in the lobby are both chargeable, which in this day and age should be free.
The downsides to the room were as follows. Firstly, the needlessly prominent ‘Adult TV’ advertisement sign on the coffee table, I suspect this is a problem explaining away to enquiring children. I realise that this is on offer for the business users, but come on Holiday Inn, make it a little more discreet!
The double bed seemed very small. The TV did not have all the digital channels. The tea/coffee and bathroom toiletries were basic.
The bathroom was very small, but functional, again with good storage. The shower was very powerful, but the showerhead was not very high, I had to stoop and I’m 5ft 3! The towels were a bit rough and small.
We had drinks and a hot snack in the bar and the service was excellent. The food (promptly delivered), was hot and tasty. The main meals served in the bar were all priced at over £10 each, but this seems to be typical of North London prices.
Breakfast is served in a large bright room at the rear of the hotel, priced at £9.50 each with children eating for free. There was an excellent range of fresh and prepared fruit, fruit juices, pastries, cereals, DIY toast; and the hot buffet offered real mushrooms, decent fried eggs, good thick tasty bacon, average sausages. The scrambled egg had been made with nutmeg and cream - not to my taste. The black pudding and hash browns looked very dry and overcooked. I understand the hot breakfast is usually good here, so this may have been a one-off.
Staff bring tea/coffee to the table; this I approve of as hung-over guests wandering around with scalding pots of water near my two year old is not my idea of a relaxing breakfast (take note Premier Inn!).
At present this hotel is providing excellent value for money because they have a special advance rate of £42.00 room only. This is cheaper than Premier Inn, and of course this Holiday Inn offers a full leisure package (included in price), and a beauty salon too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1 J8 is in the perfect location for business and leisure guests. The hotel is easily accessible from M1 & M25 motorways and just 1 mile from The Snow Centre, 8 miles from Luton Airport, 21 miles from Heathrow Airport 19 miles from Wembley Stadium. Getting into London is easy as the hotel is just 10 minutes from Hemel train station with direct services into London Euston. Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead combines an excellent range of facilities with 144 air-conditioned bedrooms, including 19 Executive Rooms along with family and accessible rooms. The hotel also offers a Spirit Health Club with indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, fitness gym and health and beauty products & treatments. The hotel has conference and banqueting facilities that are a perfect venue for any occasion. These rooms all feature natural daylight, high speed internet connections and Starbucks Coffee. The Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead offers 3 dining options; Traders restaurant, Lounge Bar and 24 hour room service. Here at Hemel Hempstead, we are proud to welcome families so why not take advantage of our Kids Stay & Eat Free offer! The hotel is just 11 miles from Whipsnade Zoo, 27 miles from Woburn Safari Park and just 1 mile from the Snow Centre. A perfect way to keep those little ones amused! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead m1 j8 Hotel Hemel Hempstead
- Hemel Hempstead Holiday Inn