“Firms Xmas party, not the best experience.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Bobsleigh Hotel

Bobsleigh Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“Firms Xmas party, not the best experience.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We had our firms Xmas party in this hotel. It was £26.50 per ticket and was quite frankly not the best experience in the world.
The starter was a goats cheese tart served on top of a very limp rocket salad. The actual tart had spoonful of cranberry sauce in the bottom with only a couple of slithers of goats cheese on top, so tasted more like a jam tart.
The main course had three good slices of Turkey on it but only two roast potatoes(horrible), three sprouts, a small slice of stuffing,a spoonful of what I can only guess was swede mash and some carrots.
The pudding consisted of some sort of lemon mix that had not set in the fridge with some frozen forest fruits on top and tasted pretty nasty.
There was a small mince pie and complimentary tea and coffee afterwards.
The disco was run by the sixty year old member of staff and because he spent all night playing requests the music never flowed and a lot a people drifted into the bar to chat.
Beers were about £4 50 a pint and shots were about the same.
It's a shame when you come to the end of a meal you are still hungry and am left thinking I could have cooked far nicer at home. Some people will say " but it was only £26.50" but if you cannot give people a good night for that amount of money something is wrong.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Huddersfield, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I read some bad reviews so i was expecting it to be below par, do not listen to them, i walked in and got a nice warm welcome, it smelt nice n clean, no fuss book in, got told where my room was and offered help with my bags, corridors were clean, i walked into my room, lovely clean smell, no dust, clean bedding, bath shower combo, hot water, no mold or grimy taps, all usual hotel stuff, kettle, cups, tea, coffee ect, all in all a nice place, bad points would be, small TV, limited channels, bed is a bit short but im 6'3 so most hotel beds are, one of the cupboard handles was missing, but thats being really picky, would recommend staying personally, i have not been to the restraunt but i can guess its expensive just like every other hotel, everyone has to make a living i guess

• Stayed November 2013
Diss, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

After reading the mixed reviews my expectations were not high but I was pleasantly suprised. I stayed here on Monday 11th Nov for one night's bed and breakfast plus I also had dinner as I'd had a long journey and the menu looked okay. I felt safe, important for a woman when travelling alone. From start to finish I enjoyed my stay. A very welcoming man in reception who was helpful, friendly and a good advert for the hotel. Yes it is dated, yes it needs a facelift but the staff were lovely, the room clean and very comfortable and food freshly prepared and tasty. There was a fault with the television picture which appeared to be the outside ariel although the receptionist tried hard to fix it, however there had been heavy rain and high winds. I had plenty to read so it wasn't a huge issue. Dinner was delicious and I am particular! The menu was limited but I would rather have that than a huge selection which comes via a microwave. I had a small bowl of olives with a reasonably priced glass of red Chiliean, the vegetable soup was wholesome, very obviously homemade and really good - I make a lot of soup so feel I am a good judge! The lemon sole in butter was very fresh and cooked to perfection, the waitress warned me it was big and she wasn't wrong. The creamed spinach was a disappointment and when I told the waitress she didn't charge although I wasn't angling for that. Breakfast was a buffet selection, also good, although the melon could have been riper, the usual cereals, pastries etc. however the cooked breakfast was done to order and again tasty. I have an egg allergy and my needs were catered for admirably. I would definitely stay again if visiting my relatives. I was in a room upstairs which suited me although there were some rooms on the ground floor which I wouldn't have wanted. Thanks Bobsleigh staff!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JaneAnne55
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Was in poor condition in some areas, the restaurant smelt of urine, like a pub toilet which automatically put me off. Had a look at the menu and was very overpriced. The accommodation was very dated, my Nan's standard back in her day. The tv wasn't tuned in and had no remote. The plus is that there was a bath..... But with no cold water tab! No value for money here, will be in premier inn next time. Very disappinting.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Hemel Hempstead hotels

Chichester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Our youngest daughter lives in the village of Bovingdon, and I am disabled (wheelchair bound) and she has no downstairs bathroom/toilet. The Bobsleigh has rooms suitable for disabled persons and the time and trouble taken by the entire staff was remarkable indeed - well trained and well led, congratulations to Macdonald Hotels in general and the Bobsleigh in particular. Breakfast was superb, the room was serviced well with everything one could wish for and I note a comment on Tripadvisor from ChefJDD but one must bear in mind the very competitive tariff. Not withstanding that, I still feel he was a little harsh. We are going back again during Christmas in order to see our daughter.

Room Tip: Rooms for disabled are ideal even for the wheelchair bound
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Grantham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at the Bobsleigh Hotel when we were invited to a friends sons wedding in October. We had travelled for nearly two hours and we werent able to get into our room until the afternoon. Just as well we went wearing our wedding attire. The organization of the wedding was very good and as far as im aware ran very smoothly. However, after the service and the photographs in their absolutely beautiful gardens we were kept hanging about in the bar area for a substantial amount of time prior to being allowed into the main dining/reception room. Once seated for our meal things got a bit better, the staff served the soup/starter this was ok but nothing special. However the main course was beef and this was a reasonable meal with huge yorkshire puddings, the sweet was also lovely. Tables were laid beautifully and it was set out very nicely too! Our room was spacious, with tea coffee making facilities, the bed was very comfortable and we both slept well, however this hotel was very dated the rooms were tatty and very worn. Could be a nice hotel if the chain spent a little money on it! Although we did have a good nights sleep I wouldnt normally choose to stay in a hotel of this standard but I must say it was a fair price and we did get a good nights sleep and a hot shower, unlike some of the other guests who got cold showers!

Room Tip: our room had a hot shower we were downstairs!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed for a short mini-break rather than fighting the m25 on a Friday night.... Myself and my partner paid for bed and breakfast and got a good deal. As the weather was pretty unpleasant we had dinner at the hotel too and were pretty impressed with the food, although the prices are not cheap, the food was well presented, tasty and plenty on the plate. The rooms are clean and spacious and the shower actually had some water pressure. Breakfast was plentiful and well done. The best bit about the hotel are the staff they are pleasant, efficient and want you to enjoy your stay. The hotel does need money spent on it (lots) and however good the staff are will not conceal this. The bathrooms particuarly need refurbishing and if you want to watch TV don't count on picking up the right channel (luckily I can think of better things to do). My real complaint is the wine list offered does not match what the hotel has, it puts the staff in an awkward position and if I was having a special meal here I would have been annoyed.

Room Tip: Slept very well, rooms clean and bed comfy. Gave an average to the rooms as they really need to be r...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple