“Eighties, dated and damp!”
Review of Bobsleigh Hotel

Bobsleigh Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Chester, United Kingdom
“Eighties, dated and damp!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I am fairly speechless tbh! We tried to get into Holiday Inn in Apsley, which is 5 star quality incidentally, but I'd left it too late and it was full. On first sight the room was ok but overpriced at £94 a night. However we thought we ought to give it a go and not judge a book etc. When I asked about breakfast the receptionist said that if I book the night before, it would be £10 each but if I leave it until the morning it would cost £17.50!!! When we got to breakfast we were the only ones there- I wonder why!? We decided to have the vegetarian breakfast to be a bit healthier, despite them boasting of award winning sausages. When the breakfast came the sausages were a mix of mash, onion and Leek and were pretty disgusting- these days Quorn or Linda McCartney sausages and some Quorn bacon would be an acceptable vege breakfast. There was a fried egg, a tomato, a mushroom and a small piece of fried bread and a tiny pot of beans! £17.50?! The tea and coffee were wishy washy too. The coffee/ tea making facilities were poor with a limited amount of milks and when I asked for fresh milk they gave me a tiny pot. The worst bit was the damp on the wall and as the time went on, the smell of damp!! Under the window to the left, hidden behind the chest of drawers was a black patch that no one had even tried to remove. I should've asked to move, but tbh we were up visiting family and were busy the whole time and I didn't want to spend time complaining and moving rooms!! The sink taps and plug were loose and very annoying. There were some cobwebs. The decor was dated - very 80's at the very latest!
I'm not a person to complain, but the complacency with which this hotel rents rooms has made me very annoyed! To rent a damp room out to anyone at £90 + a night is a disgrace, which is exactly what I told them! My fault was not complaining immediately, but to offer such awful service at such a price takes audacity and arrogance! I advise anyone thinking of booking this hotel not to!!

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here as a stop over on our Chelsea Flower Show Kew trip.

I had heard that the hotel was dated.

The room where all on one level so no lift or stairs, nice reception area. The room was of a good side and very clean, extra pillow in the wardrobe. Problems was the plumbing, very poor shower and the toilet did not flush well or fill up. The bath was very high which could be a problem as you had to get in to use the shower. So the hotel needs to referb the bathrooms and plumbing. Less able people would have problems.

The up side are the staff more than helpful. So for me they get a 10. Nice bar area and good breakfast. Slept really well.

The weather was not good while we where there and the grounds looked really in nice.

So to the hotel chain upgrade the hotel as you have superb staff and distance outside London was fine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed for one night with work. Reception took ages to book me in. Key card didn't work. Suggested booking a table in restaurant but no one in there. Carpets very shabby and room tired and in need of updating.Food at restaurant took 25 minutes to come and then wasn't cooked properly. Ended up in harvester. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank drake32
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Got married and had our reception here. Everything we wanted was accommodated, even the smallest details. The food was fantastic and all our guests commented on the quality, even making bookings to return. The sun allowed us to make use of the lovely grounds. We got the day we wanted and more. While it may appear a little tired in places the rooms we had were comfortable,clean and very peaceful and the service of the staff excellent. Thank you Bobsleigh for helping us have the happiest day ever.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Kept us waiting 1.5 hours for our room. Room was clean but shabby eg Coving had fallen off the ceiling and the bath plug was a temporary rubber one which was stiff with age. TV cabinet clearly should have had doors but didn't. Staff were clearly trying to get the room ready but ignored us. I have stayed at better.

Room Tip: The swimming pool was empty. I didn't see a fitness centre. I couldn't get enough water in t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Bobsleigh for three nights - two rooms for parents and two grown up children. The positives far outweighed the negatives. Yes, as previous reviews have mentioned, the rooms do need some updating and there are scuff marks, tired tiling etc. in some places. If this sort of thing worries you then don't stay here. However, the rooms were clean, the service very friendly and the food in the restaurant very good. We got a very good deal for three nights half board which worked out cheaper than Premier Inn (our usual place for a good deal). Not a huge choice for the evening meals but what they had was very well made and served. Wife loved the curry and the pumpkin ravioli. Breakfast was also very good and large.
The hotel is in the countryside, albeit in a busy part of the world, and it is possible to go for pleasant walks from the hotel. Facilities in the hotel are limited but it was a great base for us to go to the Harry Potter Studios and Hatfield House. No hesitation in recommending here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Essex, Vermont
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here had a local family party the hotel is a little tired around the edges but good value and our rooms was very clean the staff were excellent the night porter was great and very welcoming engaging in a conversation at our late return at 2 am. The breakfast was was very good freshly cooked.

Would return

Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead
#9 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
The Kings Arms
The Kings Arms
#1 of 2 in Berkhamsted

Been to Bobsleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!