“Harry Potter 'Dolore Magna'!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bobsleigh Hotel

Bobsleigh Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Harry Potter 'Dolore Magna'!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

No one to usually complain BUT on arriving to this Hotel we were a little nervous. The Car Park is in an horrendous state with large craters and huge loose stones. The public rooms seem OK on the face of it and the Wedding Party seemed to be enjoying themselves when we arrived and checked in. Check in was quick and we were directed down a shabby corridor off the main area to our room. Others have mentioned a smell of damp and I have to agree with them. We 'released' into the wild two very large spiders and there were cobwebs in the room. The light fittings and furniture were very dated (this in itself is not an issue but when coupled with the smell and general shabbiness it paints a very dismal and depressive place to stay). The carpet had seen better days and I wore my shoes while walking on it which I have never previously done in any hotel. We got ourselves settled in the room after making the usual jokes of at least the bedding is clean (albeit torn) etc. Although when you have paid £124.00 for one night for a 'Feature' room that should not really be the saving grace. We thought we would take advantage of the cocktails in the bar and that was where it did get a little bit 'Fawlty Towers'. We decided to opt for the lounge bar, so as not to interfere with the wedding party. The young lady on the bar (who through no fault of her own, she had been left as the only cover whilst the other staff served on the main bar at which the wedding party was drinking) was unsure of how to serve a Gin and Slim line tonic - I had to convince her it was pretty simple as I really did not want to wait any longer for her to find someone else to serve us (impatient I know but we were the only customers and we had to catch her eye as there seemed to be a lot of coming and going by staff members with the wedding party). Following on from the comedy of me talking through a visibly shaken young girl, my husband changed his mind on the cocktail he was looking forward to and went for a bottled ale. We sat down and unfortunately it became apparent we had sat near the toilets (pretty bad smell and dripping noise was audible, even though there were two lots of music being piped through as well as the wedding music). Let me just correct any misapprehension here about my bias against wedding parties. Myself and my husband were married in a hotel, we know the time effort and cost that is spent in making that perfect day. It would be nice however, if extra staff or even any staff could also service the rest of the clientele who have paid for the 'privilege' of staying at the hotel. So despite the best efforts of the young lady we then decided to take a walk into the local village/town collect our own alcohol and have a drink in our room. The local shopkeeper was very accommodating and chatty and provided the personality and customer service that was quite lacking at our accommodation; either through busyness or lack of experience/confidence. I then went in search of ice for our room. Having asked two bar staff members, ice was located and we retired for the evening. My husband specifically paid extra to have the jacuzzi bath but due to the lack of cleanliness and general shabbiness, neither of us used it. Bit of a disappointment. Shower provided hot water at a decent pressure and quantity. Onto the breakfast. Bit of a shambles...un cleared tables no one to greet and advise where to sit or what to do...Breakfast pretty much finished before tea/coffee and toast had arrived. Again I think the cause of this was a lack of sufficient staff numbers to cater to the wedding party and other guests. All in all not quite what you would expect from a 3 star Mcdonald Hotel and I personally would find the rooms disappointing in a very cheap B and B. I think a total refurbishment needs to be undertaken so that the rooms are of a similar standard to the public rooms and maybe more trained staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I am fairly speechless tbh! We tried to get into Holiday Inn in Apsley, which is 5 star quality incidentally, but I'd left it too late and it was full. On first sight the room was ok but overpriced at £94 a night. However we thought we ought to give it a go and not judge a book etc. When I asked about breakfast the receptionist said that if I book the night before, it would be £10 each but if I leave it until the morning it would cost £17.50!!! When we got to breakfast we were the only ones there- I wonder why!? We decided to have the vegetarian breakfast to be a bit healthier, despite them boasting of award winning sausages. When the breakfast came the sausages were a mix of mash, onion and Leek and were pretty disgusting- these days Quorn or Linda McCartney sausages and some Quorn bacon would be an acceptable vege breakfast. There was a fried egg, a tomato, a mushroom and a small piece of fried bread and a tiny pot of beans! £17.50?! The tea and coffee were wishy washy too. The coffee/ tea making facilities were poor with a limited amount of milks and when I asked for fresh milk they gave me a tiny pot. The worst bit was the damp on the wall and as the time went on, the smell of damp!! Under the window to the left, hidden behind the chest of drawers was a black patch that no one had even tried to remove. I should've asked to move, but tbh we were up visiting family and were busy the whole time and I didn't want to spend time complaining and moving rooms!! The sink taps and plug were loose and very annoying. There were some cobwebs. The decor was dated - very 80's at the very latest!
I'm not a person to complain, but the complacency with which this hotel rents rooms has made me very annoyed! To rent a damp room out to anyone at £90 + a night is a disgrace, which is exactly what I told them! My fault was not complaining immediately, but to offer such awful service at such a price takes audacity and arrogance! I advise anyone thinking of booking this hotel not to!!

• Stayed May 2014
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here as a stop over on our Chelsea Flower Show Kew trip.

I had heard that the hotel was dated.

The room where all on one level so no lift or stairs, nice reception area. The room was of a good side and very clean, extra pillow in the wardrobe. Problems was the plumbing, very poor shower and the toilet did not flush well or fill up. The bath was very high which could be a problem as you had to get in to use the shower. So the hotel needs to referb the bathrooms and plumbing. Less able people would have problems.

The up side are the staff more than helpful. So for me they get a 10. Nice bar area and good breakfast. Slept really well.

The weather was not good while we where there and the grounds looked really in nice.

So to the hotel chain upgrade the hotel as you have superb staff and distance outside London was fine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed for one night with work. Reception took ages to book me in. Key card didn't work. Suggested booking a table in restaurant but no one in there. Carpets very shabby and room tired and in need of updating.Food at restaurant took 25 minutes to come and then wasn't cooked properly. Ended up in harvester. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank drake32
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Got married and had our reception here. Everything we wanted was accommodated, even the smallest details. The food was fantastic and all our guests commented on the quality, even making bookings to return. The sun allowed us to make use of the lovely grounds. We got the day we wanted and more. While it may appear a little tired in places the rooms we had were comfortable,clean and very peaceful and the service of the staff excellent. Thank you Bobsleigh for helping us have the happiest day ever.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Kept us waiting 1.5 hours for our room. Room was clean but shabby eg Coving had fallen off the ceiling and the bath plug was a temporary rubber one which was stiff with age. TV cabinet clearly should have had doors but didn't. Staff were clearly trying to get the room ready but ignored us. I have stayed at better.

Room Tip: The swimming pool was empty. I didn't see a fitness centre. I couldn't get enough water in t...