“Always felt welcomed, just a shame it's not bigger!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crabtree

The Crabtree
Ranked #119 of 158 Restaurants in Hemel Hempstead
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Always felt welcomed, just a shame it's not bigger!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

As this is with walking distance of my home, it's made a brilliant choice when we want somewhere to eat but need something more than Macdonalds! With 5 children aged 1 -19 years, I have always been welcomed, there are perfect tables for us (and our extended family) and the menu is great. My only wish is that it was a little bigger - it can get a bit crowded around the bar area miking it difficult to move around generally. If I had one other (slightly less than positive) comment that would be I wish they had more staff available in the kitchen at weekends (food can take a long time coming when they're busy) - We were advised 40 mins but in fairness it took 25 and it wasn't even the busiest I've seen them.

• Visited March 2014

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Dirty, could be so much better.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I've been drinking here for about 25 years on and off, what I have noticed in the last year is a slow decline in attention to detail, there's still fake snow on the entrance windows from over 2 years ago, there's a piece of chewing gum on the wall by the round seat that's been there over a year, I haven't told the staff just to see how long it's going to be there, the men's toilets are always well below par just to name a few things, it's a massive shame because it's a lovely pub otherwise, just needs someone to care for it instead of making profit.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank FloydOnForever
hemel hempstead
“Awful, what has happened to the food?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

The food we ate here for dinner was simply appalling. My husband had salmon which was burnt to a crisp. The rest of the food we had was bland and tasteless. Such a shame as the food here used to be really good. Needless to say, I don't think we will be returning anytime soon.

• Visited May 2013
Hemel Hempstead
“Tasty food and great value 2 for lunch deal - highly recommmeded”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had lunch with a friend on a Monday and had a delicious meal. The bar staff are always friendly and you don't have to wait too long to be served. They do very good value cordial with soda water if you are not drinking and the 2 for 1 deal was exceptional value. I had the chicken burger with BBQ sauce and chips. It was a whole chicken breast with bacon and cheese on a lovely bun and the chips were hot and crispy. Just be careful if you have a tab as when we paid at the end, the 2 for 1 deal did not show on the tab. We realised after we paid and the barman was happy to refund the cost of one meal. The atmosphere there is lovely at lunchtime. We sat near a log fire and it was very cosy.

Visited January 2014
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“More hits and misses than a blindfolded darts match”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've been visiting this pub for many years off and on when I visit my old home town of Hemel Hempstead to see friends. It's been hit and miss for much of the time, but it's reasonably priced, the real ales are truly great and we quite enjoy the Thursday quiz night (which can be a hit and miss affair in itself, but is usually very entertaining, depending on who's reading the questions).

Food quality has improved lately following quite a bad patch of dried out tasteless food served badly with attitude and we vowed never to return, but we did and were pleasantly surprised. Trying to find a reasonable venue for a Christmas night out with a group of girlfriends, we couldn't decide so ended up booking here out of desperation and I was glad we did.

We visited on 17th December - 2 courses for £9.95 or 3 for £12.45 with a bottle of Prosecco for early booking and deposit. I really wasn't expecting much but the service was excellent and the food very tasty. I had the prawn starter and the traditional turkey dinner, followed by chocolate cheesecake and I enjoyed every bite.

Even a little dessert incident didn't spoil the enjoyment. A mix up in the kitchen meant that the sauce for the fish ended up on my friend's Christmas pudding, but it was swiftly rectified with very good grace and a free bottle. We all had a good laugh. It looked like brandy sauce but tasted like Hollandaise...

There were two downsides on this particular occasion...

One was the heat - or lack of. The place was freezing! The waiter told us there was a problem with the heating, which was a shame. Usually we'd have lingered over coffees and more drinks but we skedaddled.

Last Saturday I ventured back with a friend for lunch. I'd told her how impressed I'd been with the Christmas meal so we thought we'd try the lunch. Once again, great food. I had the beef pie and chips and it was really good. We also enjoyed some Titanic Longitude Ale. But the heating is STILL NOT FIXED! No lingering yet again. It's been weeks now if you read some of the other reviews on here. Come on Crabtree manager - chase up the heating engineers.

The second downside is the toilets. You can smell them before you get to them. A blind person could find them unaided. On Saturday there were 2 ladies' cubicles out of order. I'm glad it wasn't busy. The manager needs to get on to the plumber and buy some bleach for the cleaners.

I probably will go back, but will make sure I'm wearing my thermals, hoping the food is still up to scratch and praying I've lost my sense of smell.

• Visited December 2013