We frequently stay here as it's near our elderly mother in a St Albans care home, and also when we want to get up to London, which is so easy from Apsley station opposite. We are very familiar with the Holiday Inn Express format, and we have stayed in several around the country. This is probably the best we've found for spaciousness, staff efficiency and friendliness, and general overall cleanliness and standards of decoration. We usually try to get a double room with a sofa bed so we can eat a picnic bought from Sainsburys just down the road if we arrive at an inconvenient time or have already eaten out that day, and that also gives you space to spread out and read or watch TV without one of you sitting on the bed.
Prices of the room vary depending on whether you book in advance at a flexible rate or not. Last week we stayed without booking as we had an elderly mum emergency, and we paid £86, but sometimes it's as low as £56 (non-flexible). Officially they say they charge £5 per night for the carpark, you have to get a ticket from Reception to put in your car anyway, but at weekends they don't usually bother. We have spent a weekend in London, going up on the train, and have been able to leave the car there even though we only spent the Friday night at the hotel.
It's usually pretty quiet even if you're facing the road, we've never been very bothered by the traffic or the trains.
Breakfast is standard HIE stuff, ample if not very exciting. The dining room is very big but the buffet area can get terribly busy if there's a crowd in. There's a bar, snooker table, and meals in the hotel if you want them, but we recommend eating or drinking at the lively Paper Mill pub opposite, or in Calzone Italian on the other side of the canal past the Marina to the right, which is more intimate (see reviews elsewhere on Tripadvisor.) There's also a veggie café/restaurant next to Calzone, which looks nice but we haven't tried it yet. Walks up and down the canal are pleasant if you're stiff from a long journey.
There's not a great deal more to see in Apsley, and it's too far to walk from here to Hemel Hempstead, so if you want a town centre setting this isn't the place. But otherwise we shall go back again and again, I'm sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Choose the well-linked Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead hotel, a short drive from local businesses and 2 minutes' walk from Apsley train station. The inviting Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead is just 10 minutes by car from the handy A4251, M1 and M25. You can take off from London Luton Airport, 25 minutes' drive away, and reach central London in 30 minutes by train. We offer free parking on-site and you can set yourself up for the day with an inclusive buffet breakfast in our comfortable Great Room. Book a meeting for 40 in one of our 3 meeting rooms and stay connected with free Wi-Fi. We're 10 minutes' drive from local companies on Maylands Avenue and Breakspear Way. You can take to the slopes at the The Snow Centre in 5 minutes. Under-18s stay for free when sharing with their parents in one of Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead's welcoming family rooms. Spend a relaxing evening with friends over drinks or dinner in the Great Room lounge or simply relax in your newly refurbished guest room with modern decor, an en-suite with power shower and a 32-inch flatscreen TV. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Superbreak UK, Hotels.com, Ebookers, IHG, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead Hotel Hemel Hempstead
- Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead
- Hemel Hempstead Holiday Inn