“best holiday inn i've stayed in”

Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We Stopped at this holiday inn from 9th Nov to 11th Nov as our friends wedding was being held on 10th Nov at shendish manor and was in a ideal place. I was pleasantly surprised when i arrived as we was allowed to check in at one o'clock in the afternoon as we had arrived earlier than thought i also got asked if i wanted a high floor or a ground floor which i have never been asked before i would defiantly recommend this hotel as it was modern clean and very pleasant also breakfast was good seen as we didn't pay a great deal to stay.I would also recommend the papermill pub just over the road from the hotel as we had a beautiful meal in there and it was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Thank you for your lovely feedback recent your recent stay at the hotel. I am so pleased that you find us to be the 'best holiday inn express' you have stayed in - receiving great comments is always nice to be able to share with the team. We hope we can welcome you back to our hotel if you are in the area again in the future.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I have stayed here many times on business and found the hotel practical
The hotel is actually at Apsley and opposite Apsley train station not Hemel Hempsted. Trains are half-hourly to London and take about 30 mins to Euston, a cheap day return is about £11 and a day Travelcard about £17, making it a good option for visiting London
Arriving this time I noticed parking is free, although barrier controlled, which removes the hassle I used to have of getting a parking ticket
At Reception I was 'greeted' by one of the most offhand welcomes I have ever had - no 'hello' and I was shoved a booking form with the areas I needed to complete marked with 'x's and no word of explanation
I asked if I could have a room on the top floor (as per my booking) and was told 'you will have the room you have been allocated' which was actually a disabled room on the 2nd floor
No acknowledgement at all that I am a Priority Club Member
The room faced to road and I am well aware that the noise is intrusive and could only really be mitigated by turning up the air con
Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn Express affair, with presumably dried scambled egg which in this case was so lumpy I couldn't eat it, and very higly peppered sausages. Most people seemed to opt for the 'continental' options
I had two reasonable nights and when I checked out another Receptionist was a complete contrast, very friendly and happy for me to leave the car an extra night as I had to go to a function in London
I will probably stay here again as its so convenient and good value, but the experience this time was quite disappointing

Room Tip: rooms facing road can be noisy
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Mark, thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us. I would like to apologise for the unfriendly welcome you received when checking in. Please be assured this is not our usual level of service and I apologise that we did not deliver great customer service on this occasion. I am also sorry to hear that we could not fulfil your request to be on the top floor-we do always try to accommodate our guest requests and I'm sorry this was handled in an unprofessional manner. I am pleased that you did receive great service on check out and that you will choose our hotel again. Please let me know when you are returning so I can personally apologise for the issues you encountered and ensure you have a pleasant stay.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 7 November 2012

This hotel is lovely. I've been twice now and the first time the staff were pretty much bog useless but the second time they had all been replaced with excellent staff so I am glad I came back!!!

The rooms are very clean and very tastfully decorated.

The breakfast is good and some people were moaning but its free!!!! And a lot better than what you have at home! I've never been offered crossiants, yogurt, fresh fruit, cold meats, muffins, toast and hot beverages at home!!!

Great hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear guest, thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us. I am extremely pleased you chose to stay with us for your 2nd visit and it is nice to hear that you have seen improvements in service levels from your previous stay. I am also pleased that you enjoy our 'Express Start' breakfast which is complimentary for all our guests and you find our rooms clean. We hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I have just returned from staying here for 2 nights with my husband and 2 children. We arrived and there was one member of staff working on his own. His name I think was Ron and at every opportunity apologised for being able to get to us. When he came to check us in he was really friendly and efficient and explained the other member of staff was busy which was why he had taken all of 5 minutes to get to us! Our room was clean and the sofa bed made up ready, lots of towels and lots of teac and coffee and lots of milk! Breakfast was great and plenty of choice for a freebie! The staff were really kind to us and chatted with my very excited children in the morning, the same staff even spoke to my children the next day about there trip and humoured my 5 and 3 year old showing them the toys they had been brought during their trip. Cant fault this place, so easy to get to central london from here and the price is spot on. Will stay here again and again

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to feedback on your visit. We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time at the hotel and that we delivered great customer service. We do hope you will return to our hotel in the near future where we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

As usual in the UK for professional reasons. HHempstead is not probably the sort of place you'd like to spend some free days, but it is exactly the ideal for who needs a base in this region, close to london and its commercial/industrial/logistic satellite estates.
Holiday Inn Express is essential, but perfect in its simplicity: a FREE wide car park in the backyard, wifi free connections in public areas and by request in-room, a simple but full free breakfast, almost in front to Apsley Rail Station and not far from motorways' junctions.
Personnel skilled and nice, comfortable lobby and bar.
Rooms are clean, as well bathrooms. No restaurant, but in front of it there's Fuller's Paper Mill, a restaurant-pub. Surroundings are not so bad, it lies along a bank of the Canal so many rooms may also enjoy a view (nothing special, but at least is not a freeway!). A really practical choice, I'll surely come here again if I'll need to stay again in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead. We are extremely pleased you find the hotel conveniently located for both businesses in Hemel plus our proximity to London. It is always nice to hear positive feedback regarding our guests stay and is always nice to be able to share with the team.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I'll start with the positives as there's only a few...

* The room and bathroom were clean.

* The TV was a 32 inch or so LCD one with all freeview channels.

* Free parking just outside BUT get there by about 6pm as it fills up fast.

----------------------

Lets move onto the negatives:

* On the first night I decided to try out the bar / restaurant area to see if the free internet connection was decent and therefore whether I would likely eat there the rest of the week whilst using my laptop. Trying not to be rude by completely taking up a space which they could be making money from, I ordered a Coke. The moody lady serving the bar area responded with "You're only having a drink?" whilst looking at the laptop. "Yes", I replied...."You're only having a drink and no food?". I fail to see the point in offering free internet if you're going to make anyone trying to use it feel cheap if they're not purchasing food.

* On the second night I thought I would give the restaurant a try for the food. Ordering a burger and chips at 18.30, the food eventually arrived at 19.20 for which no apology was offered. The gentleman sat in front of me had waited even longer at 1 hour 10 minutes. He got the excuse that "we're busy", despite there being maybe 10 to 15 people sat in the area. As for the actual meal....the chips were stone cold, the burger had been cooked to the "remove all possible moisture" level that we all love to eat meat at, and the bun (which is kind of hard to screw up!) felt like it had been sat under the hot plate for the entire 50 minute wait as it was ridiculously hard to bite through (or exceptionally stale?). Surely a hotel that seems to accommodate a large percentage of business travellers can expect that 18.00 to 20.00 each weeknight is going to be busier than other times and to staff the kitchens accordingly?!

* Biting the bullet and paying for the "premium" internet access in my room at £35 for a week, I am shocked at the quality of your paid for service. To put this in perspective... the ping speed of an average home broadband service sits at between 50 to 100ms. The throttled free connection in the Holiday Inn's public areas sat at approximately 500ms when I tested it (I can understand this given that it's free and not really meant to be used for heavy usage). The paid for service is on average, as measured over 4 nights of service, 1500ms! This is completely unacceptable for a service that costs more than an entire months home broadband connection. Skype, MSN, gaming, Youtube video streaming, etc all perform very badly on this and the fault lies with the cheap infrastructure that Holiday Inn have installed. The response from the reception desk on asking if there were any issues was just "Erm, maybe someone's using it a lot".

* On days 2, 3 and 4 of my visit the bottom sheet on my bed had not been made up (by made up all I'm talking about is simply being stretched so it covers the mattress properly and is free of creases) or replaced since the previous day. I can understand that in tucking the duvet under the mattress the bottom sheet may be untucked in the process, but this is a standard and expected feature of any made up bed in a hotel regardless of the budget level.

* The rooms do not have irons and ironing boards, and you cannot get them delivered. Instead you have to pop down to a room containing a couple of them. A feature of budget hotels perhaps but highly annoying when you're staying away on business and are probably going to use the iron everyday.

* The shower curtain contains 12 holes to have hoops fed through so that it can be attached to the ceiling / rail. So why is there only 4 in use?! Hopefully with some of the money I paid for the internet connection someone will pop down to B&Q and buy a few. It might stop the minor floods that occur each shower session!

----------------------

So in summary I'm not going to be staying here again, which means that the Holiday Inn missed out on the other 10 weeks worth of trade that I would have brought to them between now and Christmas. At an average room rate this means over three thousand pounds will be going to one of their competitors.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Zanian
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead. May I apologise for the problems you encountered and I am extremely sorry that you were not happy with our service during your stay. Please be assured I have passed your comments onto the team who will ensure that we improve on our service standards. I would like to personally discuss the problems you encountered by way of telephone or email so if you could please contact me on 01442 206600 or email me at gm@expresshemel.co.uk where I can hopefully restore your faith in our hotel.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed here for one night before visiting the Harry Potter Tour at the Warner Bros Studio and then heading down to Cornwall for a week.

The hotel itself was great, standard HI Express really, clean and functional. The room was a little on the small side if I am being critical but no issues at all. The free breakfast buffet which now includes some hot items was neatly laid out but as is usually the case cutlery had run out so we had to ask for some knives which took 5 minutes to arrive. The hot items on this occasion were sausage, scrambled eggs and beans all of which were fine but did run out which again took some time to replace.

I found the staff to be particularly grumpy which was a bit of a surprise. When we checked in the girl on reception made us feel less than welcome which may or may not have had something to do with a big coach trip checking in at the same time. Also when I rang up and ordered an iron/board and went down to collect another girl made it seem like such hard work to tell me the iron/board was leaned up against a wall for me to take away.

Car parking is plentiful and even on a busy Saturday evening in September we found a space. The pub next door (Paper Mill) is very nice but expensive, £8.40 for two pints but I guess Hemel Hempstead is close to London. There were plenty of people eating in the pub as well and the food looked nice. We opted for the Indian across the bridge which although small was a real delight with excellently cooked food and fantastic service.

We took advantage of a special post-Olympics rate offered by HI Express and paid £45 for the night which I thought was good value overall and I would stay at the hotel again if we find ourselves in Hemel Hempstead in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead. It is lovely to hear that you found the hotel to be great but may I apologise for the problems you encountered with the service you received by the reception staff. Please be assured this is not our usual standard and I will be sure to pass this feedback onto them. I will also pass on the feedback to the team to ensure we replenish items as quickly as possible at breakfast. Thank you once again for your feedback and we do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
#4 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central Hotel
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead? Share your experiences!