“Excellent value and location!”

Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed here recently for 2 nights while visiting London and the Harry Potter studio tour.
We arrived a couple of hours earlier than check in time and were really impressed that our room was available.
The rooms are modern and well equipped, more than ample for a couple of nights!
The location of this hotels is great too! The station is directly opposite the hotel so great for trips into London. We bought a day travelcard so could travel from Apsley into london and back and use the underground as much as we liked.
There is a pub at the side of the canal less than a minutes walk away, there is also an Indian and pizza restaurant really close too.
We only ate breakfast here and thought what was on offer was really fresh and tasty.
We would definately stay here again!! And would recommend to others looking for a hotel in the area!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 May 2013

after booking via telephone, i arrived at the destination given by operator, to find he had booked me in the wrong holiday inn, the manager was helpfull in offering us a room at this one. But without our origanal evening meals inc. the room was there for cheaper.
We travelled with my disbled son, so the lady made sure the room was suitable. went for dinner at 6, wasnt untill 6.30 we recieved a menu, with stars next to most meals, that wasnt available, leaving very little to choose from, we ordered nether the less. Meals arrived about 7.15, bearing in mind, we were the only people in the dining area. the meals arrived, hard, cold, tasteless, and to be fair shocking. would describe as re-heated pre made meals, to the point it was dry, and hard. the potato skins ordered had a hair on aswell. the deserts came out in a worse state, with the ice cream being low budget, and this reflected in poor taste, even my son refused to eat the frozen profitorole, with topping, as they tasted stale, and the sauce was awfull. the bill was highly expensive, 65 for 2 adults and 1 child, to eat, and i would never eat in there again. infact all guests were bringing in their own take aways, so again, reflects the quality.
rooms, were basic, but clean. bathroom and general room, ok, you get what you pay for.
however breakfast was the same poor quality, hard bread on corners of bread, the orange and apple juice was so watered down, it made me wretch. scrambled egg, well the look alone, made me put nothing on my plate. And eating area was filthy, mess everywhere. but yet not alot of people to make all the mess.
overall sum up, dont eat here. room only would be fine, staff pleasant but seem far stretched. NO apologhy as yet, for the mix up in hotels, and access rooms, and no make up of the extra cost for meals either. will be complaining to head office.
IM a very well travelled family lady, that would rate this stay, as very poor in the food dept, and booking dept, lets hope they deal with complaints to a better standard, will update if hotel do, contact and explain.

Room Tip: room only basis
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Anita, thank you for your feedback and may I apologise again for the inconveniences caused. I do hope that after our conversation I have been able to re build your faith in our hotel and brand and that we have resolved the issues to your satisfaction. Please do contact me direct if you have any further comments or queries. Kind regards, Suzannah.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Arrived for one night stay to visit family in the area. We were early but told that our rooms would be ready in less than 15 minutes so we waited in the reception area. One hour later still not ready and approached a rather rude member of staff. She could use some training on how to keep customers happy. The rooms were clean and well equipped.
We went out to meet our family and only returned at 11pm that night. We all wanted to have a hot shower but no hot water. The person on duty was not very helpful and said that we would have to wait until morning for the repair.We had two rooms on different floors and four people in our party. We called once again and were told only some rooms were without water. Only after we insisted were we offered to move rooms.
The manager on duty the next day apologized for the inconvenience and rewarded us with bonus points towards our reward programme.
Apart from this and some rude or rather poorly trained staff it was okay!

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the same floor as reception. It really seemed noisy with staff pushing ca...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bella6404
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2013

Dear guest, thank you for our comments and may I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you whilst staying at the hotel. I am sorry that your room took over 1 hour to be made available for you- something which I will bring up with the team to ensure this does not happen again. May I also apologise for the inconvenience of the hot water issue which was repaired the following morning but of course caused you a problem. Again please accept my sincere apologies. I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future and restore your faith in our hotel and brand.
Kind regards, Suzannah Richardson.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We booked a family room and arrived quite late in the evening with extremely tired children. Upon opening the door to our room we were pleasantly surprised to find the sofa bed for the children ready made. There was a choice of pillows and we had two each!. The room itself was immaculate. The breakfast was good quality, fresh and plentiful.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for your feedback and review regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found us to be great value. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards,
Suzannah Richardson

Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Has the great canalside location (also only a hop skip and jump from Apsley station) given in to complacency? Breakfast was shockingly bad this morning!! Carpet was dirty and staff just didn't care... Hold that thought why I speak to one of their managers... (It seems they all are lol) - wasn't even asked the simple question 'how was your stay' on check out... Come on guys, sort out the basics!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank CraziKarl
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear Karl
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am very upset to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Customer feedback is extremely important to us to ensure we improve our service standards so I would like to assure you I will be speaking to my team to discuss the items you have mentioned. If you would like to contact me to let me know how the breakfast was not up to standard I would be more than happy to discuss with you so I can put these things right. My email is gm@expresshemel.co.uk.
Kind regards,
Suzannah Richardson

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed here because we wanted a hotel that was near to the Harry Potter studio tour. This hotel is perfectly located for it! Only a quick drive away! There is a train station across the road and a canal near the hotel also, which was nice to have a bit of a walk along. There are a few restaurants very close by also.
There were three of us sharing one room, fine for one night, but was a bit cramped! Was also rather warm in the room and the air con did not let me turn it down. Didn't bother asking for help from the hotel staff though, so may have been fixable.
The staff were lovely and friendly and made us feel very welcome.
Overall would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a base to visiting London and the Harry Potter studios.
The train station is literally across the road&trains to London are every half hour - perfect!
Rooms were lovely & clean and the bathroom was ace.
Only complaint was there's no free wifi in rooms.
A really lovely stay.

Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead? Share your experiences!