“Excellent value for money”

Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 2 January 2014

All you could want from a hotel, clean comfy room, staff helpful and friendly. Although room was small for two, but would be excellent for myself when on business. We stayed boxing night for £25 total for two with breakfast! So next year if available at that price will book a room each! Excellent value for money.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights between Christmas and New Year. We arrived after 4.00 pm but our room was not ready - the same thing happened when we stayed earlier in the year). It was busy on the first night (Saturday) and the following morning, despite trying for ages, we could get no hot water. My husband had a cold shower and I boiled the kettle for a wash. The General Manager said the hotel had two massive boilers but the 'trickle down' effect meant that when too many guests used the water, the boilers could not cope. He said we should not experience the same problem the following day, as there were fewer guests. However, the same thing happened the following morning (my husband forego the shower though!). The breakfast servery area is inadequate, particularly when the hotel is busy, the staff were very helpful but unable to keep up with the demand (ran out of beans, cups, knives at one stage). I would not want to pay the full price for staying at this hotel. However the staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable and quiet (back of hotel).

Room Tip: Quieter at the back
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Joan
Many thanks for your review. I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience. I would very much like the opportunity to talk to you personally so that I can discuss with you directly about the problems you encountered. If you would be so kind as to email me on gm@expresshemel.co.uk or contact me on 01442 206600.
Many thanks
Suzannah Richardson

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Have now stayed here 3 times and this is just a perfect location for what we needed, lovely room, staff always friendly, breakfast just what you need in the morning eat all you want all cooked lovely too, hairdryer tea coffee comfy bed perfect

Dear Wendy
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and find us to be perfect for what you need. We look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards,
Suzannah

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked this hotel to go visit the Harry Potter tour. We arrived to a clean, warm and overall good room . The staff who booked us in took extra time to let us know how to get to the studio. We also wanted to go into London so they gave directions to the railway and the times and how long it will take. The first night we asked about local places to eat, the staff informed us of them and how to get there. On the second night we asked about eating in, but were told due to a fault in the kitchen there was no food to be served in the hotel. They told us of some takeaways in the area and that if we booked one they would supply some where to eat it and something to eat off.
There was plenty of parking, and the hotel is easy to find.
The only thing that let the hotel down was that the toilet seat was broken and came off. We got around this and just put it on the floor.

Room Tip: As i always say just ask the staff and they will help.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2013

In mid July it is practically impossible to find a place with reasonable rates, comfy sleep and practical when travelling to London. I found it all here. Only a 30 minute train ride to downtown, with the station right outside, this was perfect for me. When I wanted a more relaxed evening, the area was perfect to wonder about, go to a pub and relax outdoors along the river, while meeting some locals.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights earlier this month and all I can say is THANK YOU to EVERY member of staff. From early morning till late night, whoever was on duty always wanted to help and had a smile to boot. To all those who have complained about the Breakfast not sure what you were expecting but for me and my family the choice was great. The room was perfect (canal side 3rd floor) and cleaned daily to a great standard.
Lastly I would like to add a BIG Thank You from my daughter for the big bag of Chocolates given to her by the staff. Better service than a 5 Star Hotel !!!!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while visiting family nearby. We were attracted by the very affordable price, and included breakfast.

Our family room (558) was comfortable, with a pull-out couch to create ample sleeping space for the family.

The room had only a shower. If you will need quality shampoo or conditioner, you need to bring your own. They hotel provides body/hair wash combination only, for which I was unprepared. This really did a number on my hair after 3 days!

The room also lacks a safe or a refrigerator, so plan accordingly.

The room was spacious enough for our bags, and also featured a modern TV, lovely view of the nearby canal, reasonable (shelves and hanging space) storage for clothing, and a teapot. The neatest feature was a blue nightlight in the bathroom, that cast a calming glow when the other lights were out.

The included breakfast was sufficient, with sausgages, eggs, beans, fruit, yogurt, cereals, pastries, juices, coffees and teas. The breakfast area was a little crowded, and (confusingly) the entrance to the line was at one end, but the plates were at the opposite end.

We did eat dinner in the lounge area one night, and it was pleasing and not overpriced. There is a pub sharing a parking lot, and an Indian restaurant immediately over the bridge, not a 2 minute walk away.

On the whole, this was a good hotel for the price. Clean and comfortable, although certainly not luxurious.

Room Tip: High floor on the parking lot side - very quiet. (Room 558)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead? Share your experiences!