“Just the job”

Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
“Just the job”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel for 2 nights great location as train sation local and great links to london. Very convenient location for those who are visting the warner bro studios only a 12 min drive. Breakfast nice Included in rate and nice clean rooms

• Stayed March 2014
Duty M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We do hope you will visit us soon again.

Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I am a massive fan of Holiday Inns and so far have not found a fault with any i have stayed in. This was my first time in an Express though and I know i shouldn't really compare as this is a different type of hotel which really caters for business stays but it didnt have the same qualities as the Holiday Inns i have stayed in but was still the same price.
There was no wifi when i stayed and although not a massive issue it was slightly annoying that i had to go out and use wifi elsewhere to get some work done.
The room was very clean and big enough for a single nights stay.
There is a very nice pub right outside next to the hotel called the Papermill and i would definitely recommend a trip there in the evening for food, it wasn't cheap but was a good quality pint and good food. Nice to have a little wander around the dock there to see the canal boats which all appeared to be inhabited, some were very fancily painted.
Breakfast was ok, its basically a continental but they also have some sausages and eggs as well so call it a full English!
Cant really fault it, but if i had to travel a few miles further next time and stay at a proper Holiday Inn i would.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DeputyGM2013, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Hi DevonMark79,

Thanks for the review and your feedback about our brand.

Sorry you didn't enjoy us as much as the Holiday Inn's and its true Holiday Inn Express is not a Leisure hotel but I like to think of us as Simply smart and spot on.

I also read you didn't get your internet voucher on arrival, apologies about that as Free WIFI is part of our offering and should have been given to you on check-in.

In-case you decide to use Holiday Inn Express Hemel again please feel free to contact me directly for your reservation.

Kind regards, Michael P
Sunderland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel, which I have stayed at at least 3 times a year since 2003.
First good points -
It's close to the Apsley rail station to get into london.
It's a standard HIX hotel so you know what you get, rooms are good and staff in the main are not too bad
Now the bad -
Food on evening meal was so bad I had to return it and I have only ever done this twice in my life, to be fair they did remove this from the bill.
Upon checking out they gave me an invoice which was not the actual invoice I stupidly didn't check it as assumed they had handed me the right one. As I need an invoice I contacted the hotel to send the correct one. After 3 emails and a phone call to a very unhelpful member of staff and a formal complaint to IHG, I finally received my invoice. However the complaint about the standard of service from the hotel to try and obtain this has been ignored. This also goes for trying to complain to IHG who don't seem to read the comments sent to them and just send standard responses.
To my mind a company is only as good as the way it deals with complaints when things don't go right and as this is the first time I have formally complained I can only assume this is their true standard of customer care.
As a result I am moving all my business to Premier Inn who seem to get the concept of customer service. This isn't a knee jerk reaction as there have been a few instances across all of the HIG hotels which do not make them value for money compared to other chains. They are more expensive generally than other budget chains so I would expect that bit extra. The reward points just don't cut it anymore.
I do wonder just how much companies realise or care how much business they lose through inadequate customer care.

Room Tip: If you do use this hotel, as for a high room facing the car park as the other rooms face teh roa and...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kotfw
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear guest, thank you for your comments and feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment in the service received after your recent stay and I am also sorry to hear that your comments have not been dealt with sufficiently.
I have sent you a email to acknowledge the points raised and to hopefully put your mind at ease that this level of service is not to our usual standard.
Many thanks
Suzannah Richardson
Rhondda, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here for one night before attending a music concert the next day. Arrived late Friday evening. As soon as we arrived the man at reception was very polite and helpful, even giving us a room upgrade at no extra cost! The room itself was great, comfortable, clean, everything you need.

My partner has diabetes and during the middle of the night he had a hypo, and so I rushed to reception asking if they had any full fat coke or sugary chocolates - after a quizzical look from the gentleman I explained the situation and he immediately gave me a pint of coke with two chocolate bars. I told him to add it to the rooms bill and he said not to worry, it was complimentary!

The hotel alone was a very pleasant experience as I very much liked the rooms, but coupled with the outstanding service we received from the gentleman at reception, I couldn't fault our stay. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Duty M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your great feedback, I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with THe Holiday Inn.

I am passing your comments to the team at the Holiday Inn Hemel as you appear from your upgrade comment to have had the great service there, hopefully next time you will come and experience the Express service too.

Yours

Guest Service Manager
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed 28 Feb/1March for a visit to Harry Potter World - which is amazing. Arrived late Friday afternoon. The room was ready although third bed not made up for our teenage son. Mentioned to reception as we popped down for tea and by the time we were back, the bed was made up. Room service even knocked on the door the next morning to apologise - nice touch.

The food in the restaurant and bar was of a high standard for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Normal hotel prices but we were looked after really well so made a difference.

All the staff - front desk, bar, restaurant, cleaners, leisure club - were professional and friendly.

We used the leisure facilities apart from the gym. Good sized pool and warm. Sauna, steam room and jacuzzi all working well. Changing rooms clean.

Our overall experience was excellent and helped make the weekend. Thank you and yes we would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your comments.

I have passed these details to the holiday inn as the express do not have leisure facilities, so unless it was a swim in the canal and a sauna in the kitchen, we can not take the credit, but again I am so glad that the holiday Inn brand family made your weekend.

Regards
Guest service manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here for one night before visiting the Harry Potter Studio Tour, we stayed on the 8th March 2014.

We booked through the IHG website and paid about £50 for the room. I like the Express brand because of the free breakfast and so we always stay with them if we can.

We arrived at about 4pm on the Saturday, the hotel was easy to find and there was plenty of parking available. The hotel is not massive but I think there would be the potential for problems with the parking but there were plenty of notices around the site and in the hotel to help you if there were no spaces. The hotel is directly opposite a big pub called the Paper Mill and this looked busy (and quite nice) but we did not try it. It is also located beside a train station and a retail park (Sainsburys, Argos, PC World etc. There is a McDonalds a very short walk away).

Check in was easy and seamless - they had all the details there and were extremely helpful - in fact the staff all the way throughout the stay were exemplary and they should be commended for their polite and helpful natures. They invited the children to take part in a competition by giving them an activity sheet to complete.

The rooms are small but comfortable with everything you would expect, flat screen TV, Tea and Coffee making facilities etc. I was very impressed that they remembered to leave 4 mugs in the room rather than 2 - this is something which is often missed in family rooms!

We all slept amazingly well - virtually zero noise from other guests or from outside.

Breakfast was also very good - basic but good. There was everything you could need - a full hot drinks menu with juices, cereals, toast, muffins etc. Plus hot sausages, eggs, beans etc. Although they offered cheese they did not offer ham as part of the buffet which was a complaint of my husband.

Checkout was also seamless and I think that we would definitely stay here again.

Holiday Inn Express is really giving all the other brands a run for their money and this hotel is really operating exceptionally well! Thank you all for making our stay stress free and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the glowing praise.

I am so glad we made your stay enjoyable and that everything went smoothly with your weekend.

We really do try and make all our guest feel as they are at home, and even do the washing up for you.

Hopefully we will see you again soon

Guest service manager
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

arrived on saturday for cup final at wembley on sunday,hotel fantastic in every way only thing no free safe as we had in hotel in kegworth the previous night,never mind though the breafast was in price,and realy set us up for a long day at wembley,train station over road 7.40 return to wembley,we lost cup but had a weekend to remember.

Room Tip: pitty no safe,but everything else great,would def stay again
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Barry, thanks for your lovely comments and your fantastic feedback about the hotel and your overall stay.
Really sorry that your team lost the cup at Wembley but pleased nonetheless this did not ruin your trip.
Hopefully you will have chance to return to Wembley again in the future to come and stay with us.
Kind regards,
Suzannah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#6 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central Hotel
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Cent...
#3 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Premier Inn Kings Langley Hotel
Premier Inn Kings Langley Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kings Langley
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead? Share your experiences!