“Good Budget Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

A perfectly good budget hotel with friendly staff and reasonably well presented. I stay here frequently as it is good value for money. Although I do wish they'd sort the orange juice out at breakfast.

There is adequate parking and it's very handy for Apsley train station.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear David, thank you for your review and also for your loyalty. It is great to welcome so many of our regular guests each week and we are pleased that you find us to be ideal for what you need. I have passed on your feedback to the team regarding the orange juice and we will be sure to look into this. Our apologies if this has not been to standard.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Suzannah Richardson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I always thought a Holiday Inn would simply be a necessary stop-over, a place to have a sleep so uncomfortable that you'd be sure to be up on time to get to your appointment the next day..But no! The beds were so comfortable, the pool so handy for bored kids, the kettle/tv/iron/door locking system so easily functioning, the breakfast so damned good and varied (heavenly granola)... that in fact it wasn't a best-forgotten leg of our journey after all, but an excellent part of it. What's more, my daughter left her Kindle behind and they posted it to us immediately. Excellent service. And excellent price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ratty2
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel last weekend with my disabled husband, disabled daughter and a carer. I have stayed in many Holiday Inn hotels around the country and abroad and have always received excellent service.

I have been prompted to write this review as it is a valid comment on the service I received by the staff at this particular hotel.

On this occasion, I experienced this:

A member of staff told me: "You disabled people should go somewhere. This is not a care home"

I was told off for taking a sheet off the bed in readiness for the chamber maid as we had spilled a glass of water. I was told the hotel do not change the sheets of guests who are staying for three nights.

When there was some damage caused to a lamp shade by one of my carers as she tried to manoeuvre in the room, I offered to pay, of course, and was charged £50 on the spot. I was upset and wondered how they could decide what to charge and to demand it so rudely.

Unfortunately it had not been possible for the hotel to give us the interconnecting rooms that we had requested. The rooms were some distance apart. With the transfer of luggage from one room to another over some distance, we left all three rooms ajar until we got settled, obviously at our own risk. I was reprimanded for this as well.

I was then told I was barred from this hotel!

Michael Paris was excellent at trying to make amends for this humiliating treatment by a member of his team but I question how happy this hotel is to receive guests with disabilities. I would be reluctant to take the risk. Tread very carefully!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank TANIA196599
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
We are very disappointed to read these comments.

Please be rest assured we are dealing with this and will be in contact.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I have recently stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Apsley. Had a wonderful time there with friendly staff. I was warmly greeted by Martin - guest service manager. His professional and kind approach made my whole stay. I will be checking in back again soon and my wish is to be served by him.
I really enjoyed the breakfast food choice as well as the dinner glass of wine with Moroccan Chicken.
I'll definitely recommend this hotel to my friends. Keep it up guys!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Alex, thank you for your review on your recent stay with us and thank you for such lovely comments regarding one of the staff members Martin. I personally know Martin is extremely pleased to have received this feedback from you and he hopes he is here to welcome you back and your friends on your next stay with us.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have recently just got back from a two night stay at the holiday inn express where I took my boyfriend for his 30th birthday. As soon as we arrived the staff Cyn and Terri could not have done more for us, as we were early they arranged a room within 5mins so that we could check in and start our day. The rooms are extremely clean, the hotel is right by the canal and the breakfast is fantastic! There is a train station directly across from the hotel that runs into london every half an hour so was extremely convenient for a day sightseeing in London. The next day we visited Harry Potter studio tour which was a 10 minute drive from the hotel and provided free car parking. Just across the car park from the hotel next to the canal is a pub called the Paper Mill, it is lovely in here and the food is fantastic!! Would thoroughly recommend the holiday inn express Hemel Hempstead for it's fantastic location for a day trip to London and the Harry potter studio tours. Excellent staff, cleanliness, location, rooms and breakfast!! 5 stars!!!!! Thank you to everyone who made our stay fantastic!!!! We look forward to returning again soon x

• Stayed April 2014
Dear guest, thank you for such fantastic comments about your recent stay and especially for mentioning the great service you received from Teri and Cyn. They are so pleased to receive these comments and also so glad you had a great stay and found the hotel conveniently located for your trip to Harry Potter and for sightseeing in London. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We are currently staying in the hotel and booked via superbreak for the Harry potter world at Watford. The hotel itself is really lovely, reception staff friendly, in a beautiful location just a couple of yards from apsley locks. I fully endorse this hotel. It's brilliant!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Janette G
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Janette, thank you for such lovely feedback and for taking the time to review your stay over the weekend. It is lovely to receive such great comments which I have shared with the team and who are so pleased you enjoyed your stay too.
We hope you enjoyed the Harry Potter Tour and we hope you will come and see us again soon.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

For what you pay, this is a very good hotel. Clean and comfortable rooms with a large bathroom. Public spaces very clean and modern. Plenty of parking and in an excellent location across the road from Apsley station which takes you into London in 30 minutes. Breakfast OK and not on a par with a Premier Inn but overall an excellent budget hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alanandcecilia
Dear guest, thank you for your lovely feedback after your recent visit to our hotel. We are so pleased you found us to be of good value and clean and comfortable. Also oyu found our location excellent for links into London- we hope you enjoyed your visit to the City.
I am sorry to hear that our breakfast was not quite up to standard and thank you for your comments. We are always looking to improve especially with our breakfast offering so we will take these comments on board.
We do hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#6 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn Express London-Watford Junction
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead? Share your experiences!