“Not quite magic but great value”

Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Not quite magic but great value”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed here the night before a trip to the Harry Potter World Experience a few miles away nr. Watford. As expected from Premier, the room was spotlessly clean and functional and we had a good meal in the restaurant for a reasonable price. I agree with other reviewers that it is a bit "cosy" in restaurant/bar area when busy but in fairness the staff were very professional and delays were minimal.

Despite it being very close to a major road and a 24hr McDonalds the double glazing did its job and we had a good night's sleep and not disturbed by dementors. Even the M25 ran smoothly so I guess I must thank Harry and Dumbledore for that!

If you are going to Harry Potter, this is a perfect base and even as a grown up you will love the attraction - JK Rowling fan or not.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Sharnie D, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for leaving feedback about our hotel. Were happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed your meal with us also. I do hope you had a lovely time at Harry Potter Studios. And hope to see you again if your ever in the area.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Over the preceding year and a half I have been shuttling to and from the United Kingdom from the Far East for specialist medical treatment in London. I initially chose to stay at the Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West on account of its proximity to road and rail connections into London. On each subsequent occasion that I have returned to the UK I have continued to stay at this location, not only for the previously mentioned reasons, but also for the quality of the service and genuine caring attitude of the staff. The environment is respectful yet friendly and very welcoming, almost like a family run hotel. Following a recent heart operation, when I had difficulty walking, the staff offered every possible assistance to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Key persons who really deserve a mention are Lee Bulpit who until recently was the head chef (he has since moved to the Hilton Group where I am sure he will be a significant asset), who made special provision for my dietary needs; June, who manages the breakfast bar and who made similar provision; the current resident manager and all front desk staff. I can only give this location the very highest rating as a place to stay if you are visiting Hemel or London.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Sharnie D, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
I would like to say first of all thank you for leaving such a lovely comment about the staff and the hotel. As you know we try to make everyone feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible. I hope the treatment is going well and your starting to feel better. We all miss having you round the hotel, and we do hope to see you again soon.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Stayed here W/E 21/07 TO 23/07.Staff were chearful and helpful,room was clean tidy and roomy,Breakfast was good and plentiful,evening meal O.K although a few more chips would have been better.The dining room/bar was a bit on the small size for the number of rooms in the hotel. This hotel is alright for people with trans port as it is a bit out in the sticks,However I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sharnie D, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for leaving feedback about our hotel. We always like to hear guest comments about what they think of the hotel. We’re all very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m happy to see you enjoyed dinner and breakfast with us, and found the rooms spacious and clean. We do hope to see you again in the future.

Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 22 July 2012

the staff are great. the breakfasts really nice. cheap prices and a guranteed good night sleep promise. mcdonals next door where u can get dinner. i prefer having breakfast at the hotel itself. solid peformer.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back on the hotel....that way you wont be affected by any motorway noise
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Would like to say thank you for taking time out for writing a lovely comment about the staff and hotel. Were happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoy our breakfast!! We do hope to see you again in the near future.
Liverpool
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Welcomes by a young man on reception whist another receptionist sat slouched in her chair gossiping with another member of staff and totally ignoring their latest guests.....No smiles from the young chap at all, must have been having a bad day.
Room was Ok but too warm .We couldn't open the windows as the noise from the overlooking drive through McDonalds was disturbing...Bed far too small, every time husband turned in his sleep, he took me and the duvet with him....Now, some may think that romantic,, but at 3am, I found romance, with snoring husband, the last thing on my mind!
Breakfast was adequate, although the fried eggs were over cooked, I had nothing to dunk my bacon and mushrooms in....lovely large, tinned plum tomatoes and decent tasty bacon. Coffee to die for!
The young lady who looked after us was lovely and very helpful and 'smiling'!
We had rump steak the evening before, for dinner, this was quite good and served to our liking, meduim rare. So thanks to the chef for getting it right!
All in all I expected no more than we got, but ever the eternal optimst I hoped we may just get a decent sized bed... not one designed for passing pixies!
.Bearing in mind, we have Super king sized beds at home, I feel for £70 B+B in a miniscule so called 'double' was a bit steep.
There wasn't an option too up grade to a room with a larger bed because we were reliably informed that the beds are standard size throughout Premier Inns....so beware those who like to spread out whilst slumbering.
Would we stay at a Premier Inn again,,,a definite no, I'm sorry to say!

Room Tip: No choice of room, they're very much the same withe miniscule double beds,,,,desperate for up da...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Whitbread-77, Social Media at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel.

At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
Perth
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting family, overall a very nice stay. Room was a nice size, TV was a bit outdated but still worked perfectly. Bit warm in the room and no air conditioning so opened the window - all we could hear all night was the 24 hour McDonalds drive-thru but it didn't disturb us too much. We were on the 2nd floor and the water pressure in the shower wasn't up too much, but all very clean. Breakfast was lovely, very busy on the Sunday morning but the staff were very good. Staff on reception lovely. Would definately recommend, maybe ask for a room not facing McDonalds in the summer!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from McDonalds if you want to open the window!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
I would just like to say thank you in leaving feedback about our hotel. I’m happy you had a nice stay with us! I’m very happy that you felt the staff was very friendly, and lovely! We all get on very well as a team, which helps bring a nice friendly atmosphere. If you stay with us again, please don’t hesitate to call us if theres anything you need at all. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

stayed 2 nights in a family room. Staff were very friendly, helpful & very family friendly. Breakfast was a bargain with free kids meals included with adult meals. The only downside was the room was too hot, no aircon & a window that only opened a little; a fan had been provided (weather was cool & wet so can't imagine what it would have been like with a 'proper' summer temperature!)
Overall tho' a great value stay & I will continue to use Premier Inn for family trips.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Firstly would just like to say thank you for your feedback. I’m happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the staff friendly and helpful, we like to make everyone feel at home. We will look into seeing what we can do with getting air conditioning units, but we do hope it didn’t spoil your stay too much.
We hope to see you again in the future!