“Never again! Rip off!”

Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

What an expensive stay for a mediocre room where the little things were not taken into account. Such as lightbulbs nit working, both bedside lights connected to one switch so both on or off. And the noise ...., frequent trains passing on the railway line and the noisiest party in the hotel. Not what we bargained for particularly at such a hefty price per night!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Wibble111

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Hiya

I had read good reviews and so was expecting a good experience - maybe mine is a one off but certainly it was more than I bargained for.

The staff were ok but I thought the place was abit shabby and in need of TLC. I checked into my room which was old and dark. I stayed 1 night and whilst the room was basic it was functional. I went for breakfast (which was relaly nice although the service wasnt great - there was a lrage wedding party in and I was largely ignored!). The horror came when I returned to my room after breakfast to find ants!!! There were hundreds of them just crawwling out of the door frame to the ensuite!!! I grabbed my things and threw them in the car and went to warn the hotel manager. He wasnt around but when I told the girl on reception I expected her to be horrified but in fact she wasnt suprised - they have had a problem before. I know this couldnt be foreseen but if they have an issue they need to close off the room until its sorted properly.

I wont stay there again and would suggest travellers are wary unless they have had pest control in!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank CheshireGill_11
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Good size and clean rooms, very comfy bed with crisp linen and fluffy towels, very friendly and efficient staff (more than happy to serve us a good night tipple when we got back from our event at 01.30am...) and an excellent fresh, hot breakfast. For about the same cost as a Premier Inn, i don't think you can go far wrong here. 5 minutes walk to the station and another 10 into the town centre. I've stayed several times as it's local to my business, so thought it about time I reviewed them! Always excellent value. Very impressed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy-S60
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This hotel was relatively clean however there was a definite problem with ants crawling all around the conservatory both mornings at breakfast - including on the table. Rooms were spacious and staff friendly but the ants were a bit concerning. Very conveniently placed near Hemel Hempstead railway station meaning a 27 minute journey to London Euston - ideal.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one night in December. Although the rooms were small they were well equipped. The hotel was just a couple of minutes walk from the harvester restaurant where we ate dinner. We had breakfast at the hotel and it was very good. If I needed to stay in the area again I would stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed here for 1 night after attending a Wedding at the Hotel. In terms of a Wedding Venue, this Hotel offers a relatively small room for the Ceremony (the Conservatory) followed by a large Fixed- Marquee in a separate part of the Hotel for the Wedding Breakfast/Evening Reception. The latter is particularly impressive- purpose built and more than fit for purpose. Spacious, nicely decorated, warm,own bar, dance floor, toilets close by, nice lighting etc. The food for the Wedding breakfast was simply yet tasty, and the portion sizes huge! The staff were fantastic throughout, and many fellow guests commented on how relaxed the day was. Our room was a surprise. I have to confess that, if we stay at a Hotel, it is usually part of an established chain. Having stayed at the Boxmoor lodge, I have learned that quality can be obtained outside of my comfort zone! Our room was spacious and - more importantly for me, absolutely SPOTLESS. I am fastidious about the cleanliness of Hotel rooms and spend the first 10 minutes checking everything....I couldn't fault a thing. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom huge. My only slight criticism was that, after being identified as a guest at the wedding prior to check-in, we were put in a room close to the Marquee (above the dance floor actually).... whilst we could hear no room from the party venue downstairs, when guests in the room next door filtered to bed after us (gone 1am) and decided to turn their shower on, it was so loud that it woke us up. However, a party was being held and im sure on a normal evening guests would not be showering at such an ungodly hour- so this is only a tiny criticism. The staff at the hotel were very warm and friendly (expecially the owners) and I would recommend staying here to anyone that happened to be visiting the area. We have friends in Bovingdon, and will definitely stay here again when visiting them.

Room Tip: If you are attending a Wedding here, we would recommend asking for a Room away from the Marquee if y...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Boxmore Lodge when we visited Hemel Hempstead for a friend's party. when we factored in the cost for breakfast Boxmore Lodge worked out about the same price as the chain hotels in Hemel. The hotel ticked all the boxes - very close to the station, clean room, good breakfast, comfortable bed and nicer than the chains. A few things would help improve the experience - 4 pillows on the bed, net curtains that could be swept back and the service at breakfast could be improved (tables were not cleared, the buffet table wasn't tidied up and replenished, the ordering of hot food was badly timed). Having said all that, the staff were friendly and for the price we were quite happy to take the imperfections as quirks and if we return to Hemel we would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2012
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redbourn
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway

Been to Boxmoor Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!