“Tranquility, but so close to all the transport links.”

Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I admit I was a little apprehensive when we booked a room for a few nights because of the location of the hotel. It was alongside a main road, near the A41 by-pass, a stone's throw from Hemel Hampstead station on the main Euston - East Coast railway and within a few miles of Luton Airport. But it was reading the reviews that convinced us to 'give it a try'. And we were not dissapointed. A very good and informal welcome, shown to our room, and what a pleasant surprise. Plenty of desk space, well light, very clean and a large bathroom. Best nights sleep I have had in a while. It was so peaceful, there was absolutley no noise whatsoever from outside. Nothing. I live in rural Wales and beleive me there is more noise in the open countryside at home than there was here!
We were visiting relatives nearby in Leighton Buzzard, and were looking for somewhere different to stay when we found this treasure. Now, having found it, I'm looking for an excuse to use it again. Perhaps travel into London each day; afterall the railway station is only a five minute walk away. Or perhaps a flight to other destinations from Luton Airport suddenly becomes attractive!
The dinner in the restaurant was marvellous, and the breakfasts amongs the best I've had. Will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4, on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 427Hedley

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed for a long weekend with a trip to Whipsnade Zoo planned. A warm, informal welcome set things up well. We were given Room 14 which had a recently refurbished bathroom and so was to a high standard. Unfortunately the shower head was old and jammed and promptly flooded the bathroom.Sadly for my poor back, and rarely for that of my partner, the mattress was also new and as hard as a rock.
Upon request we were given a choice of alternate rooms and ended up spending our second night in Room 16 with a delightful four-poster bed. The bathroom was somewhat older and the shower similarly clogged and worst of all the bath itself was was cracked and unstable. The bed again had a new, rock hard mattress but such things are a matter of personal taste and so do not detract from an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DennyCrane58
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Having just landed in the country after a long flight, I was thrilled to reach the warm, thoughtful comfort of Boxmoor Lodge. No sleep for 36 hours had left me dazed and confused, but a long soak in a bubble bath calmed my nerves and the accompanying cup of cocoa - courtesy of the hotel - hit the spot perfectly. Too tired to order from the apparently superb conservatory restaurant, I instead drank tea and ate biscuits nestled in the plump duvet of the double bed. The most peaceful sleep ensued without effort: eight hours of uninterrupted bliss that soothed every ounce of jet lag and brought me in to the day ready for anything. A super hot, high pressure shower gave me the kick I needed to carry me to breakfast: a superb array of fresh fruit, yoghurt and cereals with a full cooked for those with busier days ahead than me.

Warm, helpful staff ordered a taxi to take me to my next destination and bade me farewell most hospitably.

A great stay, highly recommended. I urge you to try it if you are in the area or as a change from staying in London (it's close to Hemel Hempstead station which whizzes you to Euston in half an hour)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank pencabot
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We attended a wedding at Boxmoor lodge recently and had a wonderful time. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful and did all they could to ensure we all had a great time. The rooms are a good size and the bed very comfortable. The food we had both at lunchtime and at breakfast was very tasty and served by an excellent staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank manda w
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We held my wife's 50th Birthday celebrations here. We cannot speak highly enough of The Boxmoor Lodge as a venue both to hold a function and to stay. The staff made sure we and all of our guest had a fantastic evening by ensuring attention to every detail. As one of our guests said: "everyone was smiling and laughing all night." We would put this down to the seamless management of the evening by all the staff from the management, chefs, waiting staff and the evening porter! Thank you for a truly memorable evening!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DickieDoodle
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Excellent staff, rooms and ambience, made welcome on arrival and throughout our stay for a birthday gathering. Even though there was a wedding also on the premises everything went smoothly. Would happily come again, did not hear any traffic noise although on the side of a main road. Antique shop next door worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank grandaddyWarwick
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Really lovely hotel. Arrived very early as we were going to spend the day in London but the receptionist allowed us to put our bags in one of the rooms even though it wasn't ready.
10 minutes walk from the train station with regular links to the city. The room was lovely. After a mad day marching round London, a bath was very welcoming & relaxing. The only downside was the tv didn't have a couple of channels but it wasn't no biggy. Had a lovely nights sleep, bed was very comfy. The breakfast was really lovely. Lots of fruits to choose from, cereals & juices. I had a full cooked breakfast & had no complaints... Very yummy & filling. Would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Boxmoor Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!