“A Second Honeymoon!!”

Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I got married in Skiathos in July and unfortunately several older members of our family from the south had been unable to attend - particularly my Aunt and Uncle who live in Windsor and are now quite elderly. As we have stayed at the Boxmoor Lodge many times before we decided to make this our base for a couple of family reunions. As usual Mark and the staff couldn't have been kinder or more helpful. As they knew we had just got married they even upgraded us to a four-poster room free of charge and the bed was beautifully comfortable. We were travelling to Windsor on the Sunday and knew we would be having a light buffet lunch with the family. Sunday night is the one night of the week that the restaurant is closed but the Hotel kindly laid on a fabulous salad us for our return to the Hotel that night along with a choice of cold desserts. We chose the Eton Mess which was fabulous - the best we had ever tasted and I have prepared this at home myself before and thought mine was quite good!! The duly manager even opened the restaurant for us specially so that we could sit in comfort rather than just have the meal in our room. The breakfast was excellent and freshly prepared. I love fish for breakfast and had a gorgeous piece of haddock with fresh mushrooms whilst my husband tucked into a full English which he said was delicious! We really cannot praise the Boxmoor Lodge enough and would never stay anywhere else when visiting family in the south. Fortunately it is close to the motorway which makes this easy for us but we would stay there even if it wasn't!!

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Piperunclecat

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a lovely, friendly B & B, booked on Last Minute.com and was excellent value for money .. Great location for Harry Potter Tour and we will defenatly stay again when we want to visit London... Walking distance to Hemel Heampstead train station. The breakfast was great and the rooms were clean and quiet.

Room Tip: We were in room 2, was fine.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

At first our room looked fine. It was clean looking and although the room did seem to be on the small side we thought it would do. We had booked in at the hotel as we were attending a function there later that evening. On closer inspection of the room two odd socks were found under the bed together with a single cuff link. there has been some money spent on the shower room but the seals were stained and did not look very nice. Things that we could live with. There was also a light bulb missing from the bedside lamp. Not a very good job from the housekeeping department.
The function we attended went very well and the food was good, well presented and served well.
The nights sleep was one of the worst we have had from any hotel/B & B. The mattress may have been the problem as is was not very thick. My wife ended up sleeping in the easy chair to get herself comfortable.
We were also disappointed with the breakfast. It was advertised as all being freshly cooked. The only things from the hot breakfast that was freshly cooked were the eggs. Everything else had been pre-cooked and kept hot and of a consequence was hard.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank derek_snelling
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I admit I was a little apprehensive when we booked a room for a few nights because of the location of the hotel. It was alongside a main road, near the A41 by-pass, a stone's throw from Hemel Hampstead station on the main Euston - East Coast railway and within a few miles of Luton Airport. But it was reading the reviews that convinced us to 'give it a try'. And we were not dissapointed. A very good and informal welcome, shown to our room, and what a pleasant surprise. Plenty of desk space, well light, very clean and a large bathroom. Best nights sleep I have had in a while. It was so peaceful, there was absolutley no noise whatsoever from outside. Nothing. I live in rural Wales and beleive me there is more noise in the open countryside at home than there was here!
We were visiting relatives nearby in Leighton Buzzard, and were looking for somewhere different to stay when we found this treasure. Now, having found it, I'm looking for an excuse to use it again. Perhaps travel into London each day; afterall the railway station is only a five minute walk away. Or perhaps a flight to other destinations from Luton Airport suddenly becomes attractive!
The dinner in the restaurant was marvellous, and the breakfasts amongs the best I've had. Will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4, on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 427Hedley
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed for a long weekend with a trip to Whipsnade Zoo planned. A warm, informal welcome set things up well. We were given Room 14 which had a recently refurbished bathroom and so was to a high standard. Unfortunately the shower head was old and jammed and promptly flooded the bathroom.Sadly for my poor back, and rarely for that of my partner, the mattress was also new and as hard as a rock.
Upon request we were given a choice of alternate rooms and ended up spending our second night in Room 16 with a delightful four-poster bed. The bathroom was somewhat older and the shower similarly clogged and worst of all the bath itself was was cracked and unstable. The bed again had a new, rock hard mattress but such things are a matter of personal taste and so do not detract from an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DennyCrane58
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Having just landed in the country after a long flight, I was thrilled to reach the warm, thoughtful comfort of Boxmoor Lodge. No sleep for 36 hours had left me dazed and confused, but a long soak in a bubble bath calmed my nerves and the accompanying cup of cocoa - courtesy of the hotel - hit the spot perfectly. Too tired to order from the apparently superb conservatory restaurant, I instead drank tea and ate biscuits nestled in the plump duvet of the double bed. The most peaceful sleep ensued without effort: eight hours of uninterrupted bliss that soothed every ounce of jet lag and brought me in to the day ready for anything. A super hot, high pressure shower gave me the kick I needed to carry me to breakfast: a superb array of fresh fruit, yoghurt and cereals with a full cooked for those with busier days ahead than me.

Warm, helpful staff ordered a taxi to take me to my next destination and bade me farewell most hospitably.

A great stay, highly recommended. I urge you to try it if you are in the area or as a change from staying in London (it's close to Hemel Hempstead station which whizzes you to Euston in half an hour)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank pencabot
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We attended a wedding at Boxmoor lodge recently and had a wonderful time. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful and did all they could to ensure we all had a great time. The rooms are a good size and the bed very comfortable. The food we had both at lunchtime and at breakfast was very tasty and served by an excellent staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central Hotel
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel

Been to Boxmoor Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!