“Just the Job”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Holford Somerset
“Just the Job”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

My second time back to Boxmoor Lodge - but this time not as a solo traveller but with colleagues and clients to host a very important sales negotiation followed by an evening dinner for 9 in the conservatory restaurant. Owner Andy Rickett and his Front of House Manager Mark Hicks and his team not only made my colleagues and more importantly our clients feel very welcome they were very attentive without being obtrusive in their service. Our sales discussion in one of their well appointed meeting rooms went without a hitch - and dinner in the recently refurbished restaurant was delicious. Suffice to say everyone met at breakfast well rested and refreshed. Well done Boxmoor Lodge and thank you for looking after us so well, with service like this why people bother with the big chain hotels is totally beyond me.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
totland bay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

I was a bit disappointed with this hotel. We had requested a cot in our room, but when we got there we didnt have one, so baby slept in bed with me. The man at reception just handed us a key and muttered where the room was. That was the introduction. Not a great start. There was a disco on in the conference centre, which is part of the hotel, the disco played loud music until quite late, and my children struggled to sleep with all the noise. The room was ok, but the toiletries were pathetic. The breakfast in the morning was super, and saved me from making this a two star rating, as the staff were lovely in the restaurant, very attentive and sweet. They were also good with the children.
I wouldnt recommend to a family especially if they have discos regularly.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank leeellen29
Plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

The staff are very friendly and make you welcome, the rooms are a bit dated and tired looking.
The towels are old but clean, the bed was comfortable and the room/ shower fairly clean, although I had cobwebs hanging from the ceiling.
The breakfast was great and always hot.
The Sky TV was not working all week and I was informed that the repair man had found some problems and it was being fixed, one of the lights in the shower did not work and despite reporting it as soon as I arrived it stayed like that for the rest of the time.
The down side is that you are very close to the road and railway so bring your ear plugs as you will need them.
The other problem I encountered was that the smokers had to go outside of their rooms to light up and they had a tendency to walk up and down outside other rooms, and the smell was pretty bad.
I do not think I would stay here again unless I really had to.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The noise and smoking
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank PHILLIPHARRIS
somerset
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

We stayed here as a convenient stop after visiting family and before heading to Whipsnade the next day.

On arriving in lashing rain at 7pm we were unable to get into reception as it was locked. So perhaps not a great start.

It was a Sunday night and the restaurant was closed. It seems from previous reviews that this is the highpoint of this place.

The room was a bit smelly with a mouldy shower head only two channels on the TV and one towel between three of us. I also had to go to reception twice to get a sheet for my daughters bed as there wasn't one.

Ran a bath and rather disappointed as the water wasn't even hot enough. Also bit mean on toiletries.

Breakfast staff and food was good enough.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mouldy shower head
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank abbielou
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2008

The Best business Trip ever !!
The Property itself is in a really nice setting on the Outskirts Of Hemel near to the station. From check in to check out my stay was a special one. The Only complaint I could have is that I ordered the wrong thing in the Restaurant on the first night and could not finish my main course (never mind try a dessert !! I was gutted).On Night two I had a Plan and Manged all three courses, being an ex chef I am hard to please but the variety of the menu , the staff, the Presentation and the setting Meant that there is nothing to complain about.
Already Planning to take my wife back to enjoy a Relaxing weekend adn the restaurant.

• Liked — the Food
  • Disliked — I was on business
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank stewai01
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2007

How lovely to be in a beautiful privately owned hotel with such history. The staff made me feel very special. The food was excellent and all freshly prepared. The accomodation was lovely too.

• Liked — The white egyptian cotton bedding
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hemel Hempstead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

Stayed at this Hotel whilst attending a Wedding . Live locally and hadn't really taken any notice of this place before. What a fab place, rooms comfortable and really nicely furnished. Breakfast was the best we have had in any hotel and the service was just so smooth and relaxed - no fussiness.
Restaurant food was superb - a group of us had a meal night before wedding itself and menu offered a wide choice of things that you wouldn't cook yourself at home. Only thing was trying to decide what to have !
Wedding Breakfast next day was just as good - unusual when a small establishment is feeding so many people.
Cannot fault this place and we are planning our Christmas do here in December.

Stayed September 2007