“Great room in old part of hotel”

Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
London
“Great room in old part of hotel”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed at Shendish for New Years Eve in a room in the old part of the hotel. I am intentionally not going to review our evening's entertainment as this is irrelevant for 364 other days - so I am concentrating this review on the accommodation.
Our room was extremely large with a very large and well appointed bathroom., The separate power shower had it's own roof/lantern light which made it extremely novel and well lit (it wasn't over looked I hasten to add!). The bed was very comfortable and the quality of the finishes was above expectation,
The downside was that the heating was too efficient and on returning to our room after midnight it was like a sauna. A capable man came to fix it as we couldn't get the radiator to turn off. This may have had something to do with the lack of hot water the following morning, but our friends who stayed in one of the two four poster rooms said they had the same lack of hot water, She was particularly irritated as she had been so excitedly awaiting a morning soak in her wonderful roll topped bath.
Breakfast was excellent with a lot of choice and was still being refreshed right up to the last minute,
I would definitely return, but would always request a room in the old part.

Room Tip: Stay in the old part
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hertshopeful
shendishmanager, Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you for posting this review and I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us on New Years Eve.

The bedroom you are referring to has had our maintenance team investigate the heating and this issue has now been rectified.

My apologies if you experienced a shortage of hot water the next morning. We have had our contracted plumber out to look at the boiler that serves this part of the hotel and all necessary maintenance work has been carried out to ensure this is not a occurring problem.

We are hosting many other events this year as well as New Years Eve which will be of a similar format with different entertainment and I hope to welcome you back to Shendish Manor Hotel in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We cannot praise the hotel and staff enough at Shendish Manor. From the moment we enquired about hosting our daughters birthdays (16th and 18th) the staff were prompt, friendly and helpful.

Every detail was seen to from foods, dance floor, DJ, Bar staff, etc etc. Everything was perfect and we all had the most amazing time. The hotel and Manor House suites were gorgeous, well decorated, not shabby looking at all as you find with some other hotels of this age. The staff were wonderful, plentiful and helpful.

We stayed in a total of seven rooms, ranging from single occupancy to family suites, and they were all very beautifully decorated, and oozed grandeur. A request of champagne sent to our room was handled swiftly, and even batteries needed for a tv remote were provided right away.

Breakfast the next morning was really lovely, fresh and high quality. We were so impressed with the entire experience, we would not hesitate to book any future events there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jwarner2
Thank you so much for posting this glowing review.

I am really pleased that you and your daughters had such an enjoyable time and that you were well looked after by the hotel staff. We work very hard to ensure we consistently deliver great food and a high level of service throughout all areas of the hotel and your comments give me confidence that we are achieving the goals we set ourselves.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Shendish Manor Hotel for your next event.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I booked this hotel on lastminute.com which proved a very good deal ( £66) - i live locally so needed this hotel as works were being carried out at my home.
Check in was quick and easy and I was given a perfectly decent room in the new block. good size but poor lighting ( not very strong), only 2 small towels in room and hot water was very low pressure, so took some time to run a bath
Clean, well presented and overall good
I didnt eat or drink at hotel so can't comment on facilities
My biggest grip, and I mentioned this twice ( as I have stayed there twice now) is that the drive up to the Hotel via the gold club has three well hidden spped bumps. They are neither marked or lit so if you arrive in the dark you hit them really hard. I drive a small car and it was a real thump ! Thery should be clearly marked, signposted and lit !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for posting your review following from your stay with us.

Since January we have carried out our annual maintenance program which included work on our boilers and any prior issues have now been rectified.
Each bedroom contains a set of towels for each person and we have room service available should you need any extra; a member of our team will be more than happy to be of assistance and deliver them to your room.

You will be pleased to know we have addressed the issue with the speed bumps and have had them marked so they are clearly visible in the dark.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to Shendish Manor in the near future.

berkhamsted
Reviewed 1 January 2012

At a recent charity auction I was successful in my bid and won a voucher for an overnight stay at Shendish Manor Hotel. The voucher was headed “Dinner, Overnight and Breakfast for 2 people for one night”. I used the voucher on Dec 28th, to take my wife to the hotel for our wedding anniversary.
Unfortunately the experience was not what I expected.
On arrival at 5 pm, we sat in the lounge waiting to be checked in and picked up the daily papers to read but realised they were from the day before. Our room (no43) was pleasant but only had 1 set of towels, which reception corrected on request.
We went for dinner and the waitress presented us with the Al a Carte menu and told us that the voucher we had used for our stay only covered £25 towards our meal choices. This information was omitted from the voucher and we discovered later that there was an offer for those guests staying on “all inclusive” basis, of a 3 course meal for £25 per person but were not made aware of this either.
The restaurant was nearly empty, with only 2 other tables occupied but the service was still slow and unfriendly. The room was cold and totally devoid of atmosphere. When we were offered bread, this consisted of one half round of sliced loaf.
I ordered a Rib steak and as I did not want the pepper sauce, asked what alternatives there where. The waitress did not know but returned to offer garlic butter or gravy. The steak was tasteless and could have been anything at all.
My wife settled for a “burger” which turned up overcooked and burned, with a salad so tired that the cucumber was dry.
When we returned to our room I noticed that the bathroom sink had a very large spider shaped crack in it, which no doubt was every bit as unhealthy as it looked. The double bed was so small; I thought it must have been a single by mistake. Unsurprisingly, the morning paper we ordered was not delivered and reception said the night porter had probably forgotten to place the order, as other guests had not received their papers either.
If this level of service is provided, with so few guests, I shudder to think what happens when busy.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ray H
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Me and my wife stayed here on our wedding night.

I had booked a 4 poster room some months in advance at a very reasonable price.
The room was very stylishly furnished with a mix of modern and chic decor. The room was also HUGE.

The bed was a queen sized, 4 poster which was very comfortable.

The bathroom was very nice, with a deep stand alone both and a nice shower which had more than enough room for 2 people.

The view out of our room was excellent, with a view over the massive gardens which surround the building.

To sum up, I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area. We were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

The room (in the new block) was heated via the airconditioning. Unfortunately this only provided cold air - not hot! The energy/cost saving policy means that the only room lights that were suitable for rading by (without squining) were in the hallway and bathroom (the batroom was also warm because of the heated towel rail that did not turn off). We have received better welcomes and service from staff at Premier Inns than here (there is one down the road - we might try staying there next time).

Room Tip: I suspect that all in the new block might be the same. Try to get one in the old building.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We recently had an enjoyable family meal in the Dickinson Suite to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The event co-ordinator was most helpful and efficient prior to the day and our thanks to the excellent staff during the lunch. The meal itself was good. Would recommend for a special occasion.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#6 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!