“Hotel Ruined by Staff”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Hotel Ruined by Staff”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business. The location is good and the rooms are adequately equipped and are clean. My stay was ruined by the rude and surly attitude of some staff, one in particular. I went out for a meal with an important client for the evening then we returned to the hotel for a night cap.The bar staff were rude, unhelpful and clearly did not want us there. This was excruciatingly embarrassing for me and my client.
The following morning I endured a poor breakfast on cold plates during which I was consistently ignored by a waitress doing her best not to serve coffee to customers.
I will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Timbo186424

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed in room 9 and would highly recommend it. The room was huge, as was the bed. There was a walk in shower and roll top bath tub. My room was extremely clean and decorated beautifully. It contained all the amenities I might need.

My only complaint is it took a while to get checked in. There was only one lady at the desk who was dealing with a customer who had a problem...which meant myself and my colleague were left standing about for a while before she finally called for assistance.

We ate in the brasserie and I had the soup to start and the burger for main. Highly recommend both and ate every bite! Again, just one criticism: the restaurant wasnt busy (only around two tables in addition to ours) but staff seemed to struggle to remember who ordered what. E.g. When there were just two tables left occupied in the restaurant, they brought a tray of drinks over to our table asking who had ordered what....we hadn't ordered anything though and they pottered off to the other table to ask if they were theirs (which they were). Personally I think this is poor form in such an empty restaurant and staff should be able to remember who they should be serving.

Overall though, fantastic hotel. Would love to bring my boyfriend here on a romantic break

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Shendish is a a fantastic setting set in its own mature gardens. I took the whole family out for afternoon and we all had a lovely time.The staff were really attentive and the afternoon tea was really yummy. The only downside was the additional pounds added with home made scones with fresh cream.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Came for afternoon tea with a small group of friends and was very impressed.

The selection of food was vast and there was plenty of it. It was all very fresh and the homemade scones were delicious.

Service was also very good
and not to invasive but were
there if you needed anything.

It was good value for money and I will definitely be back.!

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I had our wedding on Saturday and cannot find a single fault. We had the most perfect day, in a perfect setting which was made even better by how hard the staff work to make sure everything runs like clockwork and they genuinely are the most caring and hard working people I have come across. The venue itself is stunning, clean and the food is of the highest quality. Would strongly recommend this venue and would rate it 10/10. Truly outstanding.

Tours, France
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I got married at Shendish last sunday and I couldn't hope for a better place than Shendish Manor Hotel.
To be honest i had a specific idea how my big day should be and Laura (event coordinator) was absolutely brilliant and very professionnal. The team on the day were very friendly and helpful. When I need a little help without 5 min someone came.
None of our guests could actually complains about something. the food was excellent ( thanks to the chef) and the staff were very nice and smiley. a special Thanks to Petronela who runs our day so nicely and it really make a big difference to me.

I would definitely recommend this place to do any kind of events as they are easy to deal with, very accomodate and the place is stunning. We had our ceremony in the garden and dinner in the Orangery restaurant. Sadly I can't get married again )hopefully) but considering birthday party or other family events...). I need to mention that I live abroad so I had to organise my wedding from abroad which can be quiet tricky but Shendish Manor did help me a lot and the planning was easy in the end.

No need to mention the bridal suite is lovely and very quiet hotel in general.

Room Tip: manor rooms are very nice and in the new wing as well but make sure in the new wing that you don'...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Bolton
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business in the more modern part of the hotel room 37. It is set in lovely grounds with what I am told is a very good golf course.

I would sum it up by saying the room was very quiet but disappointing. It looked very tired and the bed was just okay rather than good. The bathroom was fine but it could do with investment.

The public areas are nice. The dinner I had was good but the portions were not the most generous. The drinks are pricey as you would probably expect.

The breakfast I would describe as just okay and again a bit disappointing.

The service I thought was poor. When ordering drinks with meals it felt like it took forever.

What was the most disappointing was the service I received when I told the hotel at 7am that there was no hot water. The reaction was oh. Hmm. The maintence nan will be in shortly - about 40 minutes. It turned out the boiler stopped for my side of the hotel. They didn't really come across as being very sorry that I had to have a freezing cold shower!

This hotel could be fantastic. It is just a shame that the service is not what it could be and it is a little tired.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Paul_Bolton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
No photo provided
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#7 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!