“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at the hotel on Tuesday evening and have to say it was lovely. Great location, very quiet, clean and with lovely polite staff. Location is great as a short taxi ride and you can get on the tube at Watford and be in London 20 minutes later. Next time I will have to try the golf course!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed in Shendish Manor for one night on the 7th Oct 2013. I had planned on proposing to her on this trip and had phoned the hotel previously to tell them about this...unfortunately the person I spoke to wasn't really much help which made me worry slightly about the Hotel! As it turns out this person must have been the only bad egg in the place as all the staff during our stay were brilliant with us and looked genuinely excited about me and my partner becoming engaged!
When we arrived we were charged an additional £50.00 for room service which I wasn't banking on but I had other things on my mind at the time so just paid it! so my one piece of advice when booking here would be to make sure you have the money ready for them as I wasn't told this in any of the booking forms!
I asked for a certain room i'd seen on the websites pictures and was given it which delighted my partner as it was all very pink! The room was really nice with great views however the main light in the bathroom wasn't working...easy fix just replace the light bulb I went down and told the girl on reception and instead of changing the bulb she upgraded us to a four poster room! unreal views, the comfiest bed and a huge free standing bath! ....We were happy! After eating out on the night we came back and the two girls on reception were eager to hear how my proposal went and gave us a complimentary glass of champagne each....again very nice, We were happy!
So yeah to sum up any problems we had were sorted more than fairly, the room we ended up with was fantastic, the breakfast the next morning was really nice, the hotel itself is beautiful, the grounds are breathtaking and they helped make a very special night that little bit more special for me and my girlfriend! We are already thinking about going back there again next year!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Oldham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 2 nights about 2 weeks ago now and the experiance of the manor and grounds was gorgeous, the rooms was very spacious...BUT when i checked in i was told i was to have £50 extra taken off my bank card for room service etc which we wasnt given an option of having to not pay it and we wasnt told this prior to booking which is wrong....it was a good job i had the money in the bank or we wouldnt of been able to stay. anyway upon checking we had ordered room service the night before and we was charged £4 extra for this which wasnt even stated in the information book that is in the room... anyway the bill came to £39 and i was told the other £11 would go into my bank in 7 working days which it hasnt and i phoned them up and they are refusing to give me the money back which i think is disgusting and bad business in my opinion!! ano it isnt much but it is a joke and besides the point.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ross E
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This beautiful property could be amazing, but just fails to deliver the promise shown on arrival. I stayed in the old house, which, on a late September day was boiling hot, despite the heating being turned off. To be fair I was desperate for anywhere to stay near Watford after being let down elsewhere - the receptionist was excellent and gave me two rooms at a really good rate. On checkout when we complained about how hot the rooms were we were given a further discount. The rooms were large and very comfortable, despite having to sleep with the fan on and the windows open. Breakfast was good apart from the congealed fried eggs. The Night Manager was a gem, a happy, helpful guy, but all the staff were friendly, chatty and efficient. I would recommend it and would stay there again, but it is sad that such a beautiful property fails to live up to the promise of its setting and it seems that its beauty may be cosmetic for the benefit of stunning wedding photos.

Room Tip: despite lovely rooms, apparently the heat in the old house is a recurring problem, so maybe best to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Held a Conference for 30 plus people at Shendish and everything went well, excellent food, accomodation good, and alll ran smoothly, People stayed up late in the bar and this was not a problem, will use this venue again for our conferences.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Oxford, England
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The approach to the hotel was lovely, a long, if rather badly kept, drive with a stylish country house at the end of it. Plenty of parking space. It had the makings of a delightful hotel with excellent function rooms (at which we enjoyed a well organised and catered event later that evening) but it soon become clear that economies were made everywhere else on everything.

The room, in the new wing, was small with a bed to match, mean, small and hard, on which we spent a sleepless night. The furniture was cheap and tacky. In the tiny bathroom there were no facecloths, a tiny sliver of soap and a loo roll holder set at shoulder height from which you knocked the loo roll off every time you sat down, while the spare roll holder was positioned to it got splashed every time one used the basin. The room felt grubby as did the corridors which were sort of half cleaned (clearly economies having been made on the vacuum cleaner).

A walk round the superficially lovely garden with beautifully kept lawns revealed a collapsing pergola, overgrown paths and a shrubbery with rampant bracken and brambles. Again do the cheap thing, mow, but avoid the cost of a proper gardener.

But the real problem was with the management and training of the staff who were enthusiastic and well meaning but clearly had no procedures to work to. Just two examples - afternoon tea at £14.95 a head would have been delightful if it hadn't been served without plates, knives for the cream tea, jam for the cream tea, cake forks for the cakes and napkins to wipe our fingers. When we pointed this out, the waitress looked really bewildered and then brought two plates, one knife and no napkins. The following morning having fought our way past a man shampooing the carpets at 8 am we found ourselves in a small dining room where there was an appetising help-yourself selection of raw bacon, cold eggs, sausages cooked on one side only, overcooked black pudding and a cheap toasting machine where you put in the bread and a few minutes later out came “toast” that was burnt on the outside and raw in the middle. Meanwhile the waitress stood there, hands behind her back at attention, but with eyes glazed over, not engaging with the guests in any way. Eventually I interrupted her reverie - “Excuse me but could I have some coffee and tea” - after patiently waiting a few minutes. Needless to say when it eventually did arrive it was bitter and tepid. The cramped communal table was not cleared in the time we were there. Again badly managed and untrained staff.

The hotel was equipped and managed to minimise cost. No attention to detail. No real guest care.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JonathanHood
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Room 4 - very spacious. Room was clean & toys and the bed itself was comfy (although the standard twin beds held together). Only booked last minute - for business so made no use if any other facilities.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#7 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!