“Poor to Average”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Poor to Average”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and ate dinner in the restaurant. Food was average for this type of place, but the beds were awful. Uncomfortable mattresses and lumpy pillows like bags of cement do not make for a restful nights' sleep. However, the staff were extremely helpful and cheerful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
shendishmanager, General Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I’m very disappointed to read you would rate us poor to average. We have a high number of guests who stay with us daily who on a whole all rate us very well.

We have just employed a new Head Chef and within the month a new improved menu will be launched in our Restaurant.

We are also looking to invest this year into new beds and bedding throughout the hotel where required.

I’m glad to hear our team were helpful and I hope you will return to us in the future to see the improvements we’re putting in place.

Kind regards

James Barker
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
london
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We had a great one night stay at the hotel. Overall the room was clean and as it was in the new part of the hotel, it was in great condition.
We really enjoyed dinner and breakfast, most of the dishes we had were good and the service was excellent. We particularly liked the quick check in and check out ! I highly recommend the restaurant, dinner was very good. Only negative is toilets in reception area weren't clean ( I assume due to the busy wedding that was
on).
Also its a shame there aren't more services at the hotel ( like spa facilities) as there was only golf.

• Stayed March 2014
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We approached this large hotel from the main road and was immediately impressed by this Victorian building, with modern bits attached quite tastefully.

It is set in wonderfully maintained gardens and parkland along with public footpaths, not what you would expect so close to a main road and rail links and London itself.

Large car park for about 150 cars.

We were greeted at reception by Nicole who was very friendly and professional but to single her out would be a little unfair as all the staff had the same attitude, which is always a good sign.

Our room was first class[stayed in the old building room 11] even if a little tired and in need of a bit of decoration, a relaxing lounge area and Orangery restaurant complete with bar and its own terrace leading out onto the formal Dutch Gardens made this hotel something of a place you wanted to return too.

Our meal on Friday evening along with our breakfast the following morning could not be faulted, great service from all the staff.

It would be great for weddings and for a wake as we found out during our stay.

No country house hotel would be complete without its own golf course and Shendish Manor is no exception. The Par 70, 18 hole course is set with a mix of hazards through both parkland and woodland copses and provides a rewarding game regardless of ability.

A special occasion would call for somewhere special to celebrate it in, and the Shendish Manor would be that place.

Only 5 miles from The New Warner Bros Harry Potter Studio Tour. Good wifi throughout the hotel but the reception on the television was poor but that would be petty to complain about that.

We would recommend this hotel and certainly would not think twice about returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lowena7
Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

As a Valentines surprise I booked tickets to the nearby Warner Bros Studio Tour & wanted a hotel close by. Shendish Manor were offering a Valentines package so I booked based on previous reviews. Prior to the stay I had a number of communications from Shendish regarding dietary requirements, choice of menu etc which I thought was a good service.
Upon arrival on Valentines afternoon we were greeted by the very pleasant reception staff who were very helpful. Our room was satisfactory; nothing exceptional, however it was spacious & clean & more than adequate for our stay.
Our evening meal was fantastic; my lamb was perfectly cooked & the staff were friendly & attentive without being "in your face".
The next morning we awoke to a cold shower! This was the only negative point to the stay, and again the reception staff explained that the storm the previous night had knocked out a generator resulting in no hot water, and as a gesture of goodwill gave us a discount on the booking fee.
The breakfast was again satisfactory; we had gone down quite late so no complaints.
Overall, a happy stay at the Shendish Manor. We would definitely stay again & I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel.
Thank you Shendish Manor for a fab Valentines!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

we booked here for a few nights based on other reviews, we were not disappointed. The building is lovely and were greeted with a warm and nice receptionist. we were in the new wing of the hotel, a trek but not too bad, although our room only had a view of the side of the main building. Room nice and clean and big enough for the weekend, only downside was only four coat hangers in the wardrobe, fortunately this did not cause us an issue but could have done if stopping for longer.
we eat in the restaurant on the first night, food and service was fine, breakfast, self serve buffet that this replenished on a very regular basis. No faults apart from the coat hangers

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Wonderful three night stay in a grand setting ! Elegant ,stylish bedroom well equipped , very clean and maintained to a high standard , Breakfast ( full English ) good but quite expensive £14.95 ! Service and staff very peasant . My only observation was the breakfast service on arrival all the tables with the exception of one were used and uncleared!! Staff doing endless journey after journey to the miles away kitchen carrying one or two plates ! not one table cleared at a time !!! etc not using trays to clear away much faster ? Perhaps a descreatly hidden trolley to stack crockery and utilise staff service better could ease this haphazard routine . This is just an observation as this is my profession running a large Hotel and now running an award winning Restaurant . But we did enjoy our stay and would / will most certainly return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I used to stay here frequently but started using another hotel nearby. I returned here again this week interested to see how and if things had changed. It's still the same as I left it last year, lovely location and building with a warm cosy atmosphere but many of the same service delivery issues and frustrations I used to experience on each stay.
Reception arrival was very easy, friendly and welcoming.
The room was as nice as always, well presented, clean with good tea making tray and a large comfortable bed. Some noise can be heard from adjoining rooms but it's not bad.
Bathroom small but has a bath with shower. Nice bath products but not replaced once used up leaving me without for my last night.
Ate in the restaurant in the evening, the service was great and the food very good all in an enjoyable meal other than the coffee at the end which was terrible (weak instant in a small cup is not an Americano, is there not a machine?)
It would be so nice if the bar could sell some if the great beers produced locally.
Breakfast food was generally good other than the hard stale bread. Breakfast service is as random as it always was with my tea finally arriving as I was ready to leave (I have raised this on several occasions with reception, there us never a manager about to tell).
Check out was the complete opposite to check in, a bored looking member of staff managed the whole process without any eye contact and never asked a thing about my stay.
Wifi is free but on many occasions stopped working preventing me from doing my urgent work. This also used to be a regular feature on previous stays.

A lovely hotel let down by too many unnecessary little service deficiencies which always take the shine I off my stay.

Room Tip: The old part of the hotel has the character rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank docscooter
shendishmanager, General Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive review.

We always have a duty manager on shift; it doesn’t matter the time of day. If you ever have any concerns they are contactable via the front desk where they’d be more than happy to help.

I’m sorry about the breakfast service you received; this is being addressed with the Breakfast Team, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We have just increased the number of Wi-Fi routers around site and increased our bandwidth so I’m sure you will not experience the same irritants with the Wi-Fi dropping out if you were to return.

If I can do anything at all to have you back as a regular customer of ours please feel free to contact me via the hotel’s main switch board where I would like to discuss with you further.

Kind regards

Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,692 reviews
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!