“Looks better than it actually is” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Basildon, United Kingdom
“Looks better than it actually is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked a night at Shendish Manor as it is close the the Harry Potter Studio Tour in Leavesden. We arrived and the hotel looks very impressive. Exactly what we wanted, a night away in luxury.
We went to reception to check in and I was slightly disappointed with the receptionist not informing us of all their facilities and with basic information like where the restaurant was. On the floor just outside our room were 2 empty bottles of wine. I'm assuming they'd been left there by the house keeping staff - not exactly what you want to see! These were later removed. The room itself was well decorated and very clean. However the beds were small and very uncomfortable. The wi-fi in the hotel was not great and the internet kept dropping out while we were using our phones trying to google places to eat.
At about half 11pm our next door neighbour arrived back to his room and proceeded to have a screaming match with someone on the phone. This went on for about half an hour and he then later decided to start banging in his room and what sounded like punching things.
We were then woken up about 8am the next morning from the house keeping staff talking very loudly outside our room. Overall the place looked better than it actually was. And for a 4* hotel I would of expected better.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the house not the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lady_Lottie83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely place to stay in beautiful surroundings. Staff (especially Tina) were so helpful and made our stay more enjoyable.
Highly recommended. Restaurant food excellent quality and good service.
Rooms clean if a little tired.
HRH Approved

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IsItHRHApproved
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here for one night on business and thought it was a really good example of how to do things right.
Great location, close to Hemel Hempstead but set back in peaceful well gardened grounds. Well maintained buildings, big bedrooms with comfortable bed, newly decorated room and bathroom and fast free wifi.
It is a bit of a warren inside and I had a bit of a trek to my room. The breakfast was buffet style and rather limited I was expecting something a bit more up market.
Plenty of parking and well worth staying in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tonyotter
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Close to Warner Bros studios. Very clean room. Thoroughly enjoyed the food that we ate; I thought the buffet breakfast was excellent. Lovely grounds to stroll around. Quiet location, well away from the road.
The tv in our room didn't work, and two members of staff were unable to resolve the situation. We were offered an alternative room, but as we had settled in and it was only for one night, we didn't bother. The extract fan in our bathroom ran continuously. The bed was hard and I awoke with considerable back pain which took quite some time to wear off. The dinner that we ordered, neck fillet of lamb, was undercooked; it wasn't red, but it was tough and we couldn't eat it. We sent it back (something I have never done before, ever) and the chef apologised profusely, saying that the meat had been prepared as instructed by the head chef. We were allowed to reorder without quibble, and the replacement dish was fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We held our wedding reception at Shendish Manor at the end of March. Laura, the wedding co-ordinator, was very friendly, approachable and quick with her replies to my emails. Nothing was any trouble and made the all the planning easier.

We both stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding, and the staff were all so helpful and on hand to help with last minute arrangements. They made me feel that my day was really important to them, and seemed truly excited about our big day. I stayed in room 9 the night before. It is a beautiful room and looked great in the wedding photos. I did however, feel very hot and uncomfortable in the night before the wedding and the staff were more than helpful to find me another cooler room at 2:30am!

Vicky co-ordinated our day and she was amazing. Everything ran like clock work and I didn't have to think of a thing.

The food was brilliant and all our guests commented on how lovely the venue was, how friendly and helpful all the staff were and how much they enjoyed the food.

I would definitely recommend Shendish manor as a wedding venue and we look forward to returning sometime.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was at Shendish Saturday and Sunday for afternoon tea with two different sets of friends and both times were equally fantastic. On Saturday we had afternoon tea outside in the sunshine. The service was brilliant and we were very well looked after with top ups of tea and coffee. Sunday I was there for a hen do in the Longman suite and again, I could not fault the service. There staff are very friendly and attentive and always make sure your cups are full.

I am such a fan of this hotel and it's staff I have decided to have my wedding here next year :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed within the manor part of the hotel in a fabulous large room with an ostentatious four poster bed and gorgeous furniture. Every window had a view of greenery and it was just beautiful. The bathroom had a lovely roll top bath and stand alone shower which was amazing.

The hotel staff were attentive and polite and helped to make the stay pleasant.

We ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner that evening and the chef had a mix up with the menus so what I ordered is not what I received. However the head waitress was wonderful and ensured our bill was suitabley adjusted and we received complimentary desserts and coffees to make up for the error. I can also say that what I did receive was lovely and I ate it all!

Breakfast was pleasant enough with a good selection of both continental and english and was enjoyable.

A good stay.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the manor rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,653 reviews
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!