“Impressive hotel but a few drawbacks”

Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Dublin, Ireland
“Impressive hotel but a few drawbacks”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here on a work trip that took me from Reading to Luton, so this was a good in-between spot. The hotel grounds are really impressive and expansive, and were very lush and green at the beginning of June. Loads of parking, though the parking roadway was quite congested with randomly parked cars, which was a bit annoying. Check in was a breeze and the staff are very friendly and cordial. The rooms are exceptional - really large and well appointed. The beds are a little firm for my liking but that's not a big deal. The thing that drove me bonkers was the number of times I woke up with the fire door/another room door closing. In addition, the room window overlooks a lane roadway that had a few cars throughout the night. Good wifi/broadband. Lovely breakfast the following morning, and express check-out, which I love. So, overall, a really nice spot to stay, but I'd avoid the rooms near the hall doors, and also avoid the road/laneway rooms.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from fire doors to avoid the midnight slamming issue I seemed to have!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rocksteady77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked a night at Shendish Manor as it is close the the Harry Potter Studio Tour in Leavesden. We arrived and the hotel looks very impressive. Exactly what we wanted, a night away in luxury.
We went to reception to check in and I was slightly disappointed with the receptionist not informing us of all their facilities and with basic information like where the restaurant was. On the floor just outside our room were 2 empty bottles of wine. I'm assuming they'd been left there by the house keeping staff - not exactly what you want to see! These were later removed. The room itself was well decorated and very clean. However the beds were small and very uncomfortable. The wi-fi in the hotel was not great and the internet kept dropping out while we were using our phones trying to google places to eat.
At about half 11pm our next door neighbour arrived back to his room and proceeded to have a screaming match with someone on the phone. This went on for about half an hour and he then later decided to start banging in his room and what sounded like punching things.
We were then woken up about 8am the next morning from the house keeping staff talking very loudly outside our room. Overall the place looked better than it actually was. And for a 4* hotel I would of expected better.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the house not the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lady_Lottie83
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely place to stay in beautiful surroundings. Staff (especially Tina) were so helpful and made our stay more enjoyable.
Highly recommended. Restaurant food excellent quality and good service.
Rooms clean if a little tired.
HRH Approved

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IsItHRHApproved
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here for one night on business and thought it was a really good example of how to do things right.
Great location, close to Hemel Hempstead but set back in peaceful well gardened grounds. Well maintained buildings, big bedrooms with comfortable bed, newly decorated room and bathroom and fast free wifi.
It is a bit of a warren inside and I had a bit of a trek to my room. The breakfast was buffet style and rather limited I was expecting something a bit more up market.
Plenty of parking and well worth staying in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tonyotter
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Close to Warner Bros studios. Very clean room. Thoroughly enjoyed the food that we ate; I thought the buffet breakfast was excellent. Lovely grounds to stroll around. Quiet location, well away from the road.
The tv in our room didn't work, and two members of staff were unable to resolve the situation. We were offered an alternative room, but as we had settled in and it was only for one night, we didn't bother. The extract fan in our bathroom ran continuously. The bed was hard and I awoke with considerable back pain which took quite some time to wear off. The dinner that we ordered, neck fillet of lamb, was undercooked; it wasn't red, but it was tough and we couldn't eat it. We sent it back (something I have never done before, ever) and the chef apologised profusely, saying that the meat had been prepared as instructed by the head chef. We were allowed to reorder without quibble, and the replacement dish was fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We held our wedding reception at Shendish Manor at the end of March. Laura, the wedding co-ordinator, was very friendly, approachable and quick with her replies to my emails. Nothing was any trouble and made the all the planning easier.

We both stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding, and the staff were all so helpful and on hand to help with last minute arrangements. They made me feel that my day was really important to them, and seemed truly excited about our big day. I stayed in room 9 the night before. It is a beautiful room and looked great in the wedding photos. I did however, feel very hot and uncomfortable in the night before the wedding and the staff were more than helpful to find me another cooler room at 2:30am!

Vicky co-ordinated our day and she was amazing. Everything ran like clock work and I didn't have to think of a thing.

The food was brilliant and all our guests commented on how lovely the venue was, how friendly and helpful all the staff were and how much they enjoyed the food.

I would definitely recommend Shendish manor as a wedding venue and we look forward to returning sometime.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was at Shendish Saturday and Sunday for afternoon tea with two different sets of friends and both times were equally fantastic. On Saturday we had afternoon tea outside in the sunshine. The service was brilliant and we were very well looked after with top ups of tea and coffee. Sunday I was there for a hen do in the Longman suite and again, I could not fault the service. There staff are very friendly and attentive and always make sure your cups are full.

I am such a fan of this hotel and it's staff I have decided to have my wedding here next year :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#7 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!