“Beuatiful location and rooms but let down by food”

Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Chester, United Kingdom
“Beuatiful location and rooms but let down by food”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a beautiful location, the old building has beautiful rooms. Each room is unique in the old house, with large bathrooms with lovely fittings. The new rooms are also well fitted out but a little dark, again with nice bathrooms.
The staff are friendly and helpful but lack experience/polish.
The food is disappointing, the menu looks good but the food is pre-prepared or not well cooked.
The conference facilities are spacious and well supported though.
A lovely place for a romantic stay but I recommend that you eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose one in the old house, they are spacious and beautifully decorated.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at Shendish Manor with a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. Overall, we had a nice stay, but it was really let down by the dinner and breakfast.

On the plus -- our room was lovely and large and the bathroom was wonderful. The shower was amazing! And the room had a great view.

On the downside, the room was ROASTING. They did have a fan in the room, but if you stay during a heatwave, request rooms 19 and higher -- they have a/c! Also, it is the only room I've stayed in at a higher caliber than Travel Lodge that didn't put any water in the room. Even if they don't normally, you'd think with in room temperatures approaching 30 degrees they do so.

Dinner was a hit and miss affair. The starters were nothing special but OK. My husband's lamb was outstanding, but the gratin was awful -- actually inedible. I think it was made with water rather than cream. On the other hand, my sides were fantastic, but the pork was dry and overcooked -- I left most of it on my plate. Dessert was also really good -- especially the brownie. And the wine was good value for a hotel and quite nice. I think the biggest disappointment, however, was the two large parties of men, which made it feel more as though we were dining in a pub during a sports match than at a nice hotel. Although my husband and I could barely talk over the clapping, shouting and cheering (I think one might have been a stag), but the staff took no notice.

Breakfast was nothing short of awful. The best part was toast (which we made ourselves, out of just normal sliced pan). Everything had been sat out too long under heat lamps, and we were given no option to order eggs cooked fresh -- although to be fair they did so when we asked. They came overcooked, but better than what was on the buffet.

Overall -- I think there are much better hotels in the same price bracket.

Room Tip: If staying during the summer request room 19 or higher for A/C.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a beautiful building with beautiful grounds.

However, we were less than pleased with a truly dreadful breakfast experience. Dirty cutlery and crockery. Sparsely provided and under cooked hot breakfast meats. Service... some. Should there be a need we won't be coming back.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank djmRIBA
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We chose Shendish Manor partly because it was near to the Warner Bros Studios which we were visiting but mainly because of the location. The grounds are lovely and well maintained and provided space for our boys to have a run. It is also tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the main roads so was very quiet. Our family room was stunning. It was spacious, clean and had a large en-suite with separate shower and bath. Breakfast was buffet-style which really suited our family with plenty of choice. The staff were delightful, helpful and very friendly. The only real niggle was that we needed two fans in our room because the weather was so hot and the room was rather stuffy as it didn't have air con. (our room was in the main house). However, I would chose to stay in the same room again - portable sir con. units would be a good solution.

Room Tip: Talk to reservations about your requirements. The new rooms at the hotel have air con. We wanted a r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel is set in beautiful surroundings with very well maintained grounds. We received a very friendly and professional welcome from the receptionist on duty and were directed to our room on the first floor. There is a lift but it is just one flight of steps if you want to walk. I had requested a room in a quiet area and was pleased to find it was situated to the rear of the hotel overlooking a garden. This proved to be a wise move as there was a wedding on the Saturday evening. The room had almost everything that was required, the bed was fairly hard but I prefer this. The linen was of a good standard. and there were extra pillows if required. The toiletries were a little limited: average standard shower foam, shampoo and soap but no shower cap. The usual tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar and kettle were provided. However there were no bottles of water; in a high class hotel such as this I would have expected water to have been provided as a matter of course. The evening meal in The Orangerie was superb, really high quality food, well presented and the service was excellent. Drinks prices were reasonable. I can really recommend the Shendish Manor Cocktail for cocktail lovers; the only problem is that you might have to wait a short time until they can find someone who can make it!. Breakfast was good, this was again served in The Orangerie; plenty of choice and served buffet style. We went for a walk in the beautiful grounds after breakfast each day. The gardens are really well laid out with colourful plants and shrubs, fountains playing and wildlife such as squirrels, rabbits and birds. There is plenty of parking and also a golf course right in front of the hotel. There was just one aspect that was a little troublesome and that is the driveway leading up to the hotel, it really needs to be resurfaced as a priority, there are a lot of uneven areas and the humps need to be more clearly marked. I'd hate to have been driving my MX5 when driving up here. This is the main reason why I've given a Very Good rating rather than an Excellent rating. However, despite this, it will definitely be my hotel of choice when I revisit the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a quiet area - Shendish seem to have a lot of weddings and it can get noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed over on a Saturday night as part of a ski lesson package with the nearby Hemel Hempstead ski centre. Excellent value, rooms were modern and clean, evening meal wonderful, drinks not extortionately priced, and staff very friendly and welcoming. Even with a wedding going on I wouldn't say we were disturbed by any noise, and slept well.
Only downside was the chaotic breakfast service, but not much hotel can do when breakfast is served 7-10am and over 50% of guests turn up at 9.30am! so plates ran out and there was long wait for the hot breakfast food to be restocked. But staff handled it well. Perhaps the hotel should consider taking booking for breakfast as they do for dinner?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

When I read reviews giving one star I thought they were being unnecessarily harsh...until I stayed here. When we arrived it looked wonderful, beautiful building in wonderful grounds. That's the most positive this review will be! My friend and I had booked two rooms and when we checked in we were told we had to have a credit card authorisation for £50 more each for incidentals. I wasn't impressed but hey ho. We then walked to our rooms, the furthest two from reception, outside the room was the dirtiest carpet I have seen, covered in peanuts, two days on, still covered in peanuts! The rooms are spacious and clean, nice furniture and well equipped. Apart from an ironing board that is in such a position you have to be a contortionist to use it. I decided to have a bath, what a mistake, the bath is sooooo slippery I couldn't get out, there are no anti slip mats and the bath is downright dangerous. The divan is in two pieces that are not attached to each other and during the night they moved away ..no major issue but a nuisance. During the night my sash window slipped open which is not good for a female in a room alone. Throughout the night there was a lot of noise from other rooms and the lift which is situated right by the room. Never mind, all these things I can live with. We had breakfast which was an average buffet affair....nothing great but edible. On returning to the room I noticed lots and lots of glasses and bottles left outside the room, including my room, I spoke to reception about it, no apology just a comment that they would be removed after the wedding that was taking place....rude! My friend and I then went out for the day. On our return we wanted a drink and something to eat.....but the bar was closed for the wedding and we were directed to another bar in the hotel....no problem. We arrived, had to chase a waitress to take our order and then wait nearly an hour for our food, a sandwich!!!! The starter turned up after the main course!!! The sandwich was awful, the bread was hard and the salad well past it's best before date, it was hideous, but we ate some of it. When the plates were cleared I commented to a very nice waiter who said he would get the manager. He returned and explained that the manager was too busy to talk to us.....WHAT!!!!!!! What kind of establishment are you running???? The customer service is zero.....if you are not part of a large booking forget it, they won't even take a drinks order, you have to go to the bar yourself. I tried to speak to a manager before I wrote this review but as they are too busy I had no choice but to write it without explaining the situation to them. This could be a very good hotel, there is a lot of potential, but the customer care is nothing short of appalling. Save your money and don't be taken in by how nice it looks....it's all superficial. Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Karen F
shendishmanager, General Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

All hotels I'm aware of a pre authorisation is required, this is also stated in all confirmation sent out to our guests. A pre authorisation is required upon check in to cover the cost of the bedroom rate and an extra £50 per night for any extras that may incur. As I say this is a standard requirement in this industry.

Our corridors are hoovered every day by our Housekeeping team once all bedrooms have been serviced and a floor walk to collect any trays and glasses is carried out 4 times a day by our food and beverage team. You state the carpet was dirty and peanuts remained there throughout your 2 night stay however you checked in on the Saturday and you had posted this review on the Sunday. My apologies if they were there on arrival but the corridors are checked regularly for cleanliness.

I'm pleased to hear you found our bedrooms spacious and well equipped. Each of our bath tubs have an anti-slip surface however thank you for bringing this to my attention, we will be reviewing this immediately.

I am sorry to hear the sandwich you received was not up to standard. The Duty Manager on shift would never say they are too busy to come and speak with our guests. We have a duty manager on shift 24/7 to deal with any guest needs. I have discussed your comments with Tom, your waiter, he said let me go and speak to my manager and he came back and arranged a full refund for you. Heather, the Duty Manager may have been busy at that particular moment but did come up to see you in the Manor House to make sure you were satisfied with the refund however you had already left.

My Operations Manager was working Monday morning and was very keen to speak to yourself, she based herself most of the morning at our Reception desk hoping to talk to you but you did an express check out instead whereby you signed the bill and posted it in the box rather that approach the reception desk to check out. I found it disappointing that when I arrived to work on Monday morning I received your guest comment card, however found that you had already posted this review the day prior before you had even checked out and not given me the opportunity to deal with your complaint.

As I said there are always managers available and there was plenty of opportunity before writing this review to discuss your comments with the team unlike you have stated.

If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact me via the hotel's main switchboard

Regards,

James Barker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#6 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!