Shendish Manor Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$119
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$78
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
The Watermill Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
US$101
US$98
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$59
Travelodge
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway(Hemel Hempstead)(Great Value!)
US$45
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
Two Brewers Hotel(Chipperfield)
US$73
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgolf courseafternoon tealovely groundsnew winggolf clubgolf breakorangery restaurantsconesbridal suitelovely hotelfour posterwedding receptionlovely roomwedding venuecourse mealchristmas partya lovely stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at Shendish manor, this was a buy a gift voucher which included dinner, bed & breakfast. We decided to have an afternoon tea at the hotel & it was delicious, the young guy Rhys who served us was very helpful & charming. The room was very clean a little dated but very spacious too. There was a good variety with dinner & very yummy too. Unfortunately I didn't have the best nights sleep, I had two pillows on the bed one was extremely lumpy & the other too thin so you couldn't win either way, that was my only complaint with the hotel. The grounds of the hotel was lovely & worth a walk round after the afternoon tea, luckily enough the weather was dry & bright so we could enjoy the gardens. Overall it was a very pleasant stay, with very friendly & welcoming staff.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Ok, this is a typical golf hotel and my husband and I aren't golfers. It's the kind of place that caters for men's golf weekends and calls its bar 'The Lounge'. I prefer B&Bs and non-mass catering so Shendish was never really going to be the place for us. This should be kept in mind when reading this. We stayed here out of convenience for a wedding we were attending the day of check-out. The first sight of Shendish is impressive and the grounds are beautiful. Check-in was quick and simple. The room was a good size and clean but our view of a garage(?) wasn't the best.

We returned to the hotel around 10pm and all we could hear was the muffled thud of the bass from a wedding party. The main light in the room would not turn off so I called reception 3 times and no-one answered. I ended up walking to reception in my PJs and basically ran into drunken wedding guests who'd spilled out into the main part of the reception. Not the fault of the hotel but not great. The receptionist was apologetic and said she hadn't heard the phone. She came by a few minutes later to sort out the light and was very nice about it all.

The breakfast was TERRIBLE. For starters, it was a nasty hot buffet (admittedly a personal pet hate) - but still not something I'd expect from a Manor hotel. The tea was weak, the scrambled eggs were hard and rubbery, the baked beans were cold and the bacon chewy. The only redeeming features were the sausages and the pastries.

Not worth the price and won't be staying here again unless I have the misfortune to become a suburban golf widow.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nisha101
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I manage an events company and on behalf of a client organised a celebratory lunch for 20 people.
The back room staff who I dealt with prior to the event were excellent. And feedback from the client on the day attested to the attentive restaurant staff, excellent food and lovely location. I would certainly book this hotel again for a similar event.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The first you notice of the hotel is that you don't expect something so grand looking to be where it is - quite something when you drive up the long bumpy driveway!

Plenty of parking space, and a bright reception with speedy check in and polite staff. Our room was quite a walk from reception, but we discovered if you walked outside and through the other door up the stairs, it was much quicker.

Room was lovely, immaculately clean and well presented with everything you needed. Bed was firm and pillows were perfectly acceptable. A heavy blanket was already in the room as requested.

The hotel had beautiful views, and everywhere we visited was well kept and tidy and clean. I slept like a log with no outside noise and excellent light blocking curtains.

Breakfast was ok, not amazing, but not bad. A small, self selection spread, perfectly adequate.

We stayed here for a visit to Warner Brother Studious tours, its perfectly located, just five minutes or so down the road.

Having come home, I have discovered we'd been overcharged, but am waiting for a call from management to resolve which I anticipate it to be without question, the staff are lovely.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2014

You will go a long way to get a better afternoon tea than the one we had at Shendish Manor yesterday. Excellent staff and service, super sandwiches, cakes and scones to die for. Reasonable price as well, well done.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family