“Disappointing”

Kings Lodge Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I'm not a picky woman when it comes to hotels (the door locks!five stars for you!) but I was truly disappointed with this one. To begin with, I wasn't actually in the building, I was down the road in their 'sister' building. Which was fine except that was above a pub that kept the adjoining door from their bar to our entrance open, which I found unnerving. Once safely ensconced in the room I was given, it became very clear that the sheets had been previously slept in (unless there is a fabric softener that smells like man) and the single glazed window was about as much use as a chocolate teapot with that main road close by (so close that you could spit on it...if you want to...yuck) I was willing to forgive all of this (the door locked you see) but I felt that the amount I was paying I deserved clean sheets once in a while, or a refill on the tea bags. Whoever made my bed in the morning (what is the point if you are not going to change the sheets?) also left bleach on the bathroom window (healthy and safety...should not do that) and left a roll of bin liner in my bin rather than actually put one in there. I was made to feel embarrassed and awkward by a member of staff in the bar/restaurant who felt it was completely fine to exclaim loudly that I was on my own in a bar full of men (I am a young woman so apparently this idea was ridiculous)
The following week I stayed at a nearby chain hotel, which only cost £80 more, and I got clean sheets every day, a double glazed window, tea refills everyday and restaurant staff that had no problem with my solo status. So no, it was not good value for money, it was just shoddy, from start to finish.

Room Tip: Do not just photos, they lie! Try not stay here at all if you can help it!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank vickyy56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My friend and I just had a one night stay in this hotel the rooms were lovely, the only let down was that there was no air conditioning which meant the rooms were hot especially at the time we stayed as it was a hot week, the showere was lovely however, the stay was very convenient for our trip to The making of Harry Potter Studio tour, the satff at this hotel were very friendly and helpful thank you will def stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Exeter
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Just had a fab two night stay (Fri and Sat) at this pub with my family. Warmly greeted by Clive who could not have done enough for us. Treated us and our children along with our dogs absolutely superbly! He was super helpful along with his staff. They hosted a great party for a family member on the Saturday. A mix of guests attended young and older but they were all catered for and the atmosphere was lovely. Clive seems to work constantly from morning to night but always with a smile on his face! A wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Quite surprised when we arrived...I felt the picture without the smokers outside didnt really show the hotel as it is. However...good points...comfortable bar plenty of room..good selection of ales and wines...friendly helpful staff..easy car parking...minutes from M25. Food ok. Room adequate, bed comfortable. questionable points...right next to busy busy railway line but with triple glazing it did not really worry us..but it might if you are a light sleeper. Quaint staircase up to the rooms is actually quite daunting if you are in any way disabled and the carpet was threadbare. However you cannot find a double room with all facilities provided including tea and coffee anywhere around here for the price, even without breakfast. This is a very old building and you must be aware that this is what you are getting for your money....having said that we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We had our wedding reception at The Kings Lodge last Saturday and ourselves and our guests booked all the rooms both here and at the sister pub round the corner. We stayed in 'Whippendell' room - it was lovely. We had our own entrance up to the room which was decorated in keeping with the style of the building. Sloping beamed ceilings, a little winding staircase that leads up to the huge bathroom with a modern suite and positioned where you hear the church bells on a Sunday morning. We didn't see the other rooms but all the guests said they had enjoyed their stays and loved the quirkiness of the hotel.
Clive, the owner and his team could not have done enough for us in the lead up to and on the day itself. They were accommodating in every way they could be, putting some wonderful additional touches to the day. The food portions were huge and delicious and where else can you find an honesty tab these days when the bar has closed??? It meant those of us staying at the hotel could carry on celebrating until we were ready to go to bed. There is no breakfast here but for £40 a night per ROOM how can you complain!!!

Room Tip: The 'Whippendell' room will not disappoint!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Claire40London
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We booked this hotel through Late Rooms whilst in Singapore. The room was booked about 3 days before our planned stay and availability shown and a booking confirmation received from Late Rooms. We needed to stay in the area after arriving back into Heathrow as my husbands mother
was very ill in hospital in Watford and we live about 2 hours drive away.
We arrived at about 10.00pm as advised to the hotel in our booking. We were advised that "the hotel internet had been down"and our booking was only received after all the
Rooms were booked.
The attitude was we will call around other hotels for you, but you will have to pay whatever rate the hotel with a free room wants to charge you last minute. They had not bothered to make enquiries before we arrived and really offered no help at all. We were left stranded after a 14 hour flight in distressing circumstances at 10pm on a Monday night.

Not sure that they had simply not forgotten to update their availability with Late Rooms. Think carefully before you risk booking!

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Gail S

Travellers are raving about these Kings Langley hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I live locally and ate at the Kings Lodge twice over the Easter period, with mixed results. We stopped in on a Friday night for a quick dinner and the service and food were excellent. There were two staff members working in the dining room and everything went great. We were pushed on time that night but didn't need to stress because the food came quickly and tasted very good.

Given this, we stopped in for lunch last Saturday and the service was very poor. There was one person working the dining room and her lack of attention gave the impression that food service wasn't her forte (I had to interrupt her inspecting her split ends to ask for the bill). The food came after a considerable wait, giving the impression that the focus of the servers was the bar area (which was quite full) and not the dining room. When the food arrived, it was adequate but some parts of our food had been sitting under the hot lamp while other parts were being cooked. This seemed puzzling since we were the only people in the dining room.

Given this service, I would not recommend this restaurant. The quality of the food was not strong enough to overcome the slow service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Holiday Inn Express London-Watford Junction
No photo provided

Been to Kings Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!