“Roomnot up to standard”

Kings Lodge Hotel
cheltenham
“Roomnot up to standard”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I don't know what the definition of what a hotel is but in my opinion this is not one. No reception although the staff were friendly, money to be paid immediately upon arrival. Would I be dining, no but I would have breakfast. Sorry not open for breakfast although there were facilities nearby.
Directed to my room up some creaky steps and carpet that has seen better years. Langleberry room had 3 single beds and a sink. I don't know who did the tiling but I could have done better with a bucket and spade Tried the light above the sink but had little impact, the dust on the light I left for the cleaners to find the next day!!! En suite was adequate but again the dust was terrible, I not sure if the extractor fan on the wall had suffered a blowback but I took the trouble of wiping a wet hand on the wall to give the cleaners a clue the next morning!!! Shower was good though, hot and powerful. Bed was OK but awoken by traffic and trains travelling by early morning. Would I stay again, NO.
I did not eat here but am told the restaurant is good value for money which ceratinly the room wasn't. Reduced from £120.00 to £50.00 I can see why there were 3 beds in the room but £50.00 was overpiced.

The tea/coffee making facilities were good, I do love my cuppas. Flat screen TV in the room was adequate.

I did phone the hotel to try and address my issues and let them know I would be putting comments on Trip Advisor and was told the manager would phone back but nothing heard.

Room Tip: Not the Ladgleberry
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Don't know what everyone else is complaining about.
First things first this is an old building. It has period features, creaky floors and wonky walls. If you don't like that stuff don't stay here.
When we arrived we went to the bar where the lady promptly finished her conversation with a customer so she could check us in.
She explained they are quite informal and requested that when we left we just left the key and shut the door behind us!
We were informed straight away that they don't do breakfast but were told about the village (5 minute drive, 25 minute walk) were there are cafés etc.
We reserved a table in the pub for dinner that night, incidentally the food is excellent and well sized and priced.
I found the room and en-suite spotlessly clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities, fresh towels and a hair dryer.
We chose this hotel for the price and proximity to the Harry Potter tour which we visited the following day. It was perfect for both of those things.
This is NOT a modern, Travel lodge esque hotel but in the end that's what I liked about it.
Try something different and don't complain everytime you see a speck of dust or a cobweb; I bet I could come to your home and find exactly the same!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Nashling
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Like another has said on here where do you start ? We had booked this in February. We had a lovely day in London at the theatre and my wife had booked this room as it is near to the Harry Potter studios where we were going to the next day. We walked into the pub it was packed. Tried to get to the bar to get keys for the room but couldn't get to it as there was so many people about. Went to walk out was stopped by a man who asked if we were OK told him we had booked a room, he told us they were full but we had a room in Harry's bar around the corner. What a dive that is met sue there who showed us up the stairs with the fag burned carpet she opened the door and we walked into a small room with two single beds and no en suite. We booked a double with en suite. Everything OK she said ? Ha . We walked back to the other pub not Hotel as stated. I walked up to the owner told him I wanted my money back as wasn't happy. Got told that we never booked a double and now he would have a problem as he has an empty room. We got our money back and left. Joke of a place avoid like the plague. We found a premiere inn just up the road got a lovely room with en suite, lovely pub next door where we had a fantastic meal and all for just twenty pounds more than the other joker wanted .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank markdfly

Travellers are raving about these Kings Langley hotels

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Where to start?? Upon arrival we were told that the old pub where we were meant to be staying was fully booked! We would therefore be moved to there sister pub round the corner. We had planned to eat at the old pub around 8 and then see the night in at the bar. To add insult to injury we were told the pub would be closing early as they have a private function. This meant we would have to eat at 5.30pm, but as we didn't arrive until 3 we had had late lunches. We made our way to the lodge round the corner and discussed using the pub below as told by the owners. As we neared the lodge we found that this had also been hired out for a private venue.. Because of this, the rooms were noisy until midnight. We also had to travel to get food which was not only inconvenient but expensive!! I would not recommend this so called hotel to anyone unless you are looking to burn money!!!

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Dalefrag
Watford
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Kids meal was very good value at £5 for three courses and drink - chicken nuggets were big tasty chunks of proper chicken breast. And they even rustled up a take away dessert for our daughter. Chicken burger was also very good portion size and quality meat. The fish pie was enormous but not to my liking as full of mussels (I specifically asked if mussels in pie and was told no!) and baby squid - I didn't complain as service was faultless and so friendly towards our four-year-old daughter. Two meals, kids meal, lager shandy, bottle of cider and glass of lemonade was £30 so good value in my opinion especially as food seems to be made in house and not bought in frozen.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in room - only ate in restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

OK first things first, this is not a hotel, it's not even a B&B, its an old village pub that rents out rooms. Yes, it might be quirky & full of character, so you may expect a bit of dust or a few cobwebs, but the thin walls, creaky floorboards, squeaky uncomfortable beds & trains passing close by every 5 minutes led to a sleepless night, which ruined the stay and probably made it worse than it actually was.

After arriving, we searched for 5 minutes for a sign to the "hotel" reception, but there just isn't one, It's a small pedestal in the "bar & restaurant". Having received the key, I was then asked to pay straight away as "there won't be anyone around in the morning, so leave your key on the side & let yourself out!".

OK, now for the positives, mattress protectors (Alex Polizzi would be proud), the shower was very powerful and hot, which was a good start to the day. The tea/coffee making facilities are also good and there was a decent flat screen tv in the room.

As there was no breakfast available in the morning we drove to the Village Cafe in Abbots Langley which is only a mile away and I can highly recommend it as the service & food were very good at a reasonable price.

Would I stay here again - NO.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed overnight in the main pub. This is an old pub, with low ceilings, beams and creaky floor boards. Don't expect anything slick and modern; this pub/hotel is quirky. Our beds were comfortable, sheets clean, coffee and tea facilities provided. Pub food available downstairs where there was a roaring log fire and comfortable sofas. Yes, the railway is behind, but a few seconds of rattle, once every half hour until midnight didn't bother me at all.
I know this is not objective, but we returned to the hotel about 11;30pm. Outside, the crescent moon was shining through clouds and I was reminded of 'The Highwayman' by Alfred Moyes...(if I looked towards the 'Old Inn' door and not towards the cars in the car park.)
What the hotel lacks in modernity/sophistication is made up for by very reasonable price and the possibility of a ghost, in my opinion!

Room Tip: a room in the main old building for atmosphere
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,697 reviews
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction

Been to Kings Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!