“Surprisingly Good food and Wine Selection Gluten Free and Veggie options”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of oxford arms hotel

oxford arms hotel
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Kington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: you have it listed s B&B
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly Good food and Wine Selection Gluten Free and Veggie options”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Don't be put off by the slightly dark and down at heel appearance. The food was excellent value and home cooked. The landlord was able to confirm which options could be made gluten free and there was a good Veggie selection. We chose a nice bottle of Malbec. Not 'fine' dining but probably the best pub meal in the town.

• Visited August 2013

Cannock, United Kingdom
“Better than it looks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

The place looks tired and run down from outside and the bar area inside isn't much better but don't let that put you off.
We popped in for lunch and had a friendly welcome and the food we had, albeit only baguettes, were of excellent quality and full of good quality ingredients.
There is a decent selection of ales as well as the usual lagers. The cooked menu seemed varied and reasonably priced, so if in the area give the place a try.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“TRADITIONAL PUB IN DREARY KINGTON”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at the Kington YHA after a weekend in Upton Upon Severn and went to the Oxford Arms for a proper pint of beer.

The landlord Is a really friendly guy who gave us several tasters to try before we settled on Auntie Myrtle which is a lovely drop of real ale.

We did not stay for dinner as we were in the mood for a Curry and Kington is one of the most depressing places that I've visited and is stuck in a 1950's time warp.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Ian F
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Maybe we hit the wrong day or something!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Oxford Arms immediately struck me as a village centre pub with rather tatty exterior (old cigarette buts on the doorstep and litter all around), no outside area (apart from the carpark) and a general feeling of old and worn out. Which is probably fine for meeting friends in the evenings in Winter but doesn't really stand up as a place to eat on a Sunday in Summer. Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor I was expecting something entirely different. I even went back and checked we had not gone to the wrong place because what we found and what we expected were so diametrically different!

The bar area had a few locals who seemed cheerful and the landlord/manager was charming and friendly. I had rung earlier to book a table and his response was "we will fit you in somewhere I am sure" with a sort of chuckle. We later found out why!

The restaurant of about 10 tables was deserted at 1.30 on Sunday (apart from one party just leaving when we arrived). Some dishes were offered on blackboards and there was a menu which I spotted on the bar but we were never shown this. The choices were a roast of chicken, beef or lamb and that was it as far as I could see. We did want a roast meal anyway so maybe we could have asked for alternatives but they were certainly not offered. Neither was a starter.

The dining room was dark and drear with a lot of dark wood and nothing to relieve it. Cutlery needed a good wash and the table was sticky. Secondary glazing on the windows revealed dead spider (plus accumulated dust and dirt) between the panes right in my eyeline which doesn't really inspire you to enjoy your lunch!

Our drinks (local beer and glass of red wine) arrived quickly and were fine.

Two roast beef dinners also arrived quickly. The meat was dire - tasted like out of a cheap "boil in the bag" catering pack with accompanying pale gravy. Two small soggy roast potatoes each and a bunch of "new" potatoes which had obviously been left to sprout as we could see the "eyes" on them. Other vegetables were fresh and good and plenty of them. But entirely let down by the dreadful "roast" meat and potatoes. I am afraid we did not stay for desert as our main course didn't inspire much confidence!

I am totally at a loss to account for the good reviews this pub has received for food unless we just hit a wrong day. But the accumulated dirt, the wall-to-wall dark wood without art or flowers to brighten it a bit and the general dreadfulness of the dining room cannot be a "bad day".

The manager/owner was so friendly and helpful I would like to see him do well. But some cheap improvements (like basic cleaning and a bit of TLC in the restaurant) would do a lot to improve this venue. And maybe some real local meat?

I am an honest and fair reviewer and I don't expect 5* food in a local pub restaurant nor a fantastic location. But this was way, way, below what I was expecting from the Trip Advisor rating! The top rating for the area (The Stag Inn which was full when I tried to book) is another animal altogether. Their food is fantastic!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank AmbaHall
“Another nice meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely local steak in the oxford arms place was nice and clean as usual and the owners are frendly

• Visited June 2013