“Give me more, give me more....”
Review of The Stagg Inn

The Stagg Inn
Ranked #5 of 18 Restaurants in Kington
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Monmouth
“Give me more, give me more....”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Well we were disappointed, not with the food, you understand but the reception. Having read a host of reviews indicating that there was not a welcome in the hillside I emailed in advance to warn of a baby in the party. (I forgot to mention we also had someone on crutches) but nothing was too much trouble.
I had been before but everyone else was new to the treat in store. Asparagus and slowcooked egg was lapped up, as was the potato and ramson soup and the scallops. but wait, I forgot to mention the hand made crisps and balsamic foam and the wonderful bread! For mains we had duck, steak, sea bass - all excellent. Was there room for pudding? Yes! The bread and butter was the best ever, the ice cream disappeared very quickly as did the pana cotta. Service was relaxed and friendly, food excellent, what more could you ask for? Everyone enjoyed and the baby slept through the whole proceedings.
When there are so many restaurants which bill themselves as gastro pubs and overcharge for mediocre food it made a pleasant change to eat good food, which while not cheap did not leave the punter feeling cheated.

Hereford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Meal; terribly overpriced”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Birthday gathering for 25. Excellent setting and separate room was ideal. Shame that upon entering the bar for drinks the poe-faced ?proprietor thought it too inconvenient to make a coffee for one diner. However really excellent starters, middles and endings. Again shame that one of the diners upon enquiring of a cheese board was informed "we shouldn't really" but returned from the kitchen with the agreement to provide one if it was just the one! At £21.50 per head plus drinks and coffee etc. I should think one coffee and cheese board shouldn't have inconvenienced them too much Having stated my personal negatives, don't let this put you off by any means, all in all it was a super meal, but that's where it ended.

London, United Kingdom
“Countryside Delight”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Stagg Inn was recommended by a foody friend who lives in Leominster and drove 30 minutes every so often with her late husband to dine at this delightful country pub. We stayed two nights at the Old Vicarage about 200 meters away, an extension of the inn. The room had the charms and problems of an old building, but all was forgiven once we sat down for dinner. Fabulous. It was the kind of food you’d let sit on the tongue and savor than chew. I knew we were in for a treat when they brought out focaccia topped with wild garlic, cheese and chili. The chef has worked hard to maintain his Michelin star for 13 years. It’s well deserved. My companion (of 30 years) had a chicken breast unlike anything ever tasted of this modest meat, while I had a Hereford filet with stuffed Yorkshire pudding. Even the chips were special, crispy but almost creamy inside. Most ingredients were locally procured or homegrown. The wine list was not exciting but large enough to accompany any dish. It was a little disappointing that the spring menu did not include venison or lamb. The service was friendly, and prompt. Another advantage of staying overnight, other than not having to limit the wine intake, was the breakfast that satisfied us for most of the day. All-in-all, we are grateful to our friend for the tip that made our anniversary extra special.

“The Stagg Inn, Titley”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The table was not particularly clean on arrival. The service was disgraceful, the staff were disorganised. I ordered cod with fennel and apple, the fennel wasn't edible and there was a significant amount of water on the plate (obviously not rested). We waited 40 minutes between the main course plates being taken away until they took the sweet order. Been there twice before and it was amazing. Really disappointed on this occasion.

1 Thank Jack n Sue W
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Go there - It's special!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I've never returned to a Michelin starred restaurant before, finding them overrated in the past. This was my third visit to The Stagg Inn, always for a celebration and it has never disappointed. It embodies everything that is good about British cuisine. Excellent use of local ingredients with a twist of quirkiness. The setting is and oldy, worldy pub in an idyllic rural village. The service is welcoming without being intrusive and everything is presented perfectly.

1 Thank Steven R