“Outstanding value; back to its best!”

Stagg Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Kington
Price range: US$65 - US$65
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Outstanding value; back to its best!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've been eating at the Stagg a number of years now and whilst it has wavered a bit from time to time, friends and family who I have brought here over the years have always been impressed and I simply keep on returning. I only tend to come on weekends and for dinner, but I think, from what I’ve experienced over the last year or so, it has seen a real ‘return to form’, no less on my last visit at the beginning of March.

My friends were impressed with their seared Scallops and I had the Salmon to start with – all very good. We all plumbed for the fillet of Hereford Beef; beautifully cooked to order and the Ox Cheek Pie side was really nice and appropriate to this time of the year. Dessert was very good and the chocolate crisps with our coffee was a nice touch at the end.

People get far too hung up on the Michelin Star; a great marketing tool maybe for restaurant proprietors, but fundamentally irrelevant. What counts is a freshly prepared meal made with seasonal and local produce imaginatively put together with flavours (and a good wine list!). Combine this with a pleasant setting in a beautiful part of the world and the Stagg has it in spades. What’s more, at typically £18 for a main course I think it represents outstanding value; you’d pay a lot more at in many urban restaurants that are typically inferior.

The one quibble I’d would call out is the service. This does stray offside from time to time and yes I suppose I’ve got used to the idea that I won’t get much of a warm welcome on arrival – I sometimes wonder if the bar when crowded by locals is an irritant to the staff. My suggestion is if you are greeted by chaos (particularly on weekends) or feel just ignored - stick with it; once you are taken to your table it will all be forgotten!!

• Visited March 2014

Newbury, England, United Kingdom
“Delicious birthday celebration meal”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Attentive service and exquisite freshly cooked chips made this dining experience a pleasure. Reasonably priced and with some interesting seasonal variations to the menu, the proprietors also aim to source local produce. We did feel the wine list could have been more varied.

Visited January 2014
Woodlands, United Kingdom
“Great food - as usual”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We made a second visit, having been to the Stagg during the summer.

Once again, delicious food with quirky starters.

We thoughly recommend the Stagg and will be back

hereford
“As wonderful as ever”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Visited for a family meal on Christmas Eve. Received a warm welcome as always.
Knowing I'd be eating 'generously' the following day I was pleased to find a lovely baked fig, blue cheese and rocket starter which was fresh, light and tasty. My steak was beautifully seasoned and perfectly cooked.
Others in our party had the Vicarage breakfast (went down well), scallops (tender and tasty) and campfire trout (delightful). Other mains included the seabass and duck, both beautiful. The selection of puds was great. All washed down with a Montepulciano and some Brown Bros Muscat.
I think what is most impressive about The Stagg is the consistency of quality of both food and service. Visiting, and being disappointed with, other restaurants has made us realise just how much this place does right.

• Visited December 2013
Scotland
“Same exceptional quality as always .”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Another great meal at the ultimate Michelin gastropub. Good food, stunning cider, and exceptional value, this is our 5th visit and everything about it remains as good as ever. Another different room this year, they all seem the same high standard - better than most 4 star hotels!

Food a wide range including a good range of veggie option. Don't miss the hone made crisps

• Visited November 2013