“Not As Good As I Had Hoped”
Review of Stockton Cross Inn

Stockton Cross Inn
Ranked #14 of 55 Restaurants in Leominster
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Stockton Cross Inn is a 16th century black and white pub in Kimbolton. Here at The Stockton Cross we are passionate about great tasting seasonal 'pub grub' and we aim to source our produce as locally as we can. We are open 11am-11pm every day and serve food from 12 - 8 Tuesday to Saturday and Sunday roasts 12 - 4. We serve local cask ales & local cider and our wines are sourced from Tanners. We also use these Herefordshire made ales and ciders in many of our dishes. We have a large beer garden at the face of the pub and an ample carpark at the rear.
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I visited this pub for the first time in 6 years last week. Wye Valley beers were in fine fettle. The pub is attractive, and whilst it was empty, I received a very warm welcome. The decor is traditional, and the place drips with history. It's a pleasant place for lunch.

I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich with chips and a side salad. I asked for my sandwich to be made without butter/ spread, and for there to be no coleslaw or items with mayonnaise accompanying my salad. When my sandwich arrived, it had been buttered. The landlady changed it with an apology. My green salad was dressed, and I would prefer to be told that a salad will be dressed. I'm fussy, and don't much care for salad dressing. My chips were great- home made. My sandwich was made with lovely bread, but my ham had a lot of fat on it, necessitating deconstruction of the sandwiches if I was not going to get a fatty mouthful.

Lovely place, very hospitable, but, regrettably, food no better than average. I suspect that I was unlucky, and I would still advise people to visit the Stockton Cross Inn. Things which weren't necessarily to my taste would have been perfect for someone else, I am sure. Three and a half stars would be a better rating, but four is too generous for my lunch.