“Do not stay here!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leominster
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place shouldn't be open,we went to Leominster for a family wedding and had the misfortune of staying here,the pictures have no resemblance to the real thing. It was disgusting,I have never seen a hotel quite like it. First of all the card machine wasn't working so had to walk to a cash point which wasn't a problem,was told it was £45 for the night (very cheap we know) to then get back to be told it was £55 which was to be paid up front,we now know why after spending the night. We were told our room was no 7 wasn't shown up just told where to go. The smell as you walk up the stairs was foul. We got to our room and it looked like it had been kicked in which made me quite worried as me and my partner had our two year old son with us. Got in the room and it was dirty the bin in the bathroom hadn't been emptied it was full of rotten food. Unfortunately my room was the best out of a bad bunch my brother and his family had no cold water in their room and it stank the bath also had a hole in it. My dad had someone walk into his room at half one In the morning and had to move rooms. My aunty and uncle had the apartment outside which was noisy and filthy,all you could smell was damp and mould. To top of the horrendous stay they had to break in to our room as the key wouldn't work as they thought someone had got in and locked it from the inside. Thankfully no one was in there when it was broken into but it obviously ment the door wasn't safe (this is obviously why it looked like it had been kicked in as I'm sure this wasn't the first time it had happened) would never normally write on here but me and my family felt it was appropriate. Have never felt the need to check trip advisor reviews before staying somewhere but after this weekend (26th July 2014) I will check every hotel before I book. Even though this place is cheap it really is not worth what you will pay. Please do not stay here especially if you have children it's dirty,smelly and noisy. No one will be there when you hand the keys back either. Couldn't get out of the place any quicker.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ellis H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

nothing like the photos very dirty apartment i electrics un safe, it is damp stinks of smoke, very noisy stayed for 2 nights as we were going to a wedding, shower was the old plastic push on fittings so could not wash properly, music and swearing from night club until 2 am.
dirty sheets still had left over drinks in fridge

Room Tip: avoid staying here. at all costs
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Alison H

Travellers are raving about these Leominster hotels

Conwy County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

stayed for two nights for the ludlow spring festival, read reviews before hand but really don't listen to them, such a nice place with comfy beds, yes they were a bit dated and damp, location wise perfect, the staff were very helpful upon arrival and departure, would recommend this hopefully booking for the ludlow fesitval in september,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I think a lot of the reviews are completely unjustified. My boyfriend and I stayed with a couple of friends a few weeks ago as we had a local wedding to go to. After reading all of the reviews I was scared to go! When we got there we were greeted by the manageress who was very pleasant as we arrived and checked in.

The rooms were clean, warm and comfortable and yes there was a slight smell of damp but it is an old building and for the price (£80 per couple for two nights!) really you can't complain. Not one member of staff was rude to us and we did not encounter any 'thick' or 'thuggish' members of staff.

Like I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we really enjoyed our stay and would go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny P
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed at the oak for a night, it suited my needs perfectly as a base to visit friends. Yes the hotel is run down but the sheets were clean, the bed was comfy. Shower could of done with a curtain but water was hot and the toilet worked ok! For the price I paid I was very happy with my stay. I did not eat there and did not go into the bar. I stayed on a Tuesday night and it was very quiet. If you are staying for a few days it is a cheap option. If you are a regular stayer of upmarket hotels then this is not for you. I found the welsh guy on reception polite and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Norfolk
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Dirty filthy and an excuse for a hotel,rude thick staff, a thug behind the bar serving beer with no top on!!, However has this place not been shut down!, DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE, IT SHOULD BE CONDEMNED

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank brookfields123
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Not only did I feel uncomfortable from the minute I parked up in the car park, but once we got to the bar/check in, they'd made a mistake with our room booking, so they had to move our room. As we walked past the other rooms on the way, half the doors looked like they'd been previously kicked in...
We were expected to use one small towel between two of us, and the bedding was creased and didn't look that clean. The floor had some unknown stains on it, and there was a streak of what looked like drink orurine down one of the pictures on the wall (which was hanging at a strange angle!)
The wallpaper was peeling and full of damp patches, and the bathroom looked worse for wear. We didn't get chance to check whether the water system was working unlike everyone else, because we were so upset we just wanted to get out of there as quickily as we possibly could!!

We didn't come across the reviews until it was too late, but now we've seen them, we know we made the right choice when we went to stay somewhere else instead!!

Oh yes, and the pictures on the adverts are completely misleading! The actual rooms look nothing like the pictures!
It's definiltey not a "hotel" either... it's just a rundown city centre pub.

Avoid at all costs.... unless you're a clubber who plans on getting paralytic, then you probably wouldn't care! (Would have rather have slept in the car...)

Room Tip: Don't Stay here! Run away as far as you can!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank llama86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leominster
Talbot Hotel
Castle House
Castle House
#2 of 12 in Hereford
The Feathers at Ludlow

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!