“Dreadful!!!”

The Royal Oak
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leominster
“Dreadful!!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Well where do you start. We went to see family that we hadn't seen for years. We also had never been to shropshire. When arriving we pulled into a pot holed littered car park with so called members of staff and a child hovering the outside decking. We went into the main bar which didnt seem to bad although in need of a good paint. The man we first spoke to sounded like he was still drunk from the night before! We was early so went for a walk. The town its self is a lovely place. When given the keys to the aniex which is where we stayed with our children it was a whole different story. The SMELL of damp, smoke and god knows what else just hit you! We had a look around only to find the so called finished clean place was undescrible there was ciggertte butts under the sofa dried food on the cushion a tv that didn't work walls with all sorts on them and to top it all off blood on the toilet seat. We called them back in they said they would re-clean the whole place we got a free drink at the bar and the manger was really sorry. We went back later only to find that it was still a state and the smell!!!! How this place is still open is beyond me. They have no care for people that are staying there only in the drunk drug taking people that they allow in there. Luckly for us we didn't have to spend any time there. THE PICTURE THEY HAVE ON THERE WEBSITE ARE FAKE IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THAT. SO PLEASE PEOPLE DON'T STAY THERE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank janinereay79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
lancs
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I was doing a cycle sportive, my wife was working in newtown, 50miles from Leominster. I saw this dump on the net thought it sounded ok for the price. We checked in went to our room. It wasn't brilliant but for the price it was reasonable. It was a couple of hours after we were having a drink at tje bar when we heard the bar maid say there was a disco on starting at 9 till 2am.
Woopeedoo no sleep for us tonight and wasn't I right. It was as though all the idiots in the village congregated on that pub. About 3am some bloke was on his phone having a barny with his girlfriend and friend for an hour.
The place is of poor standard and dangerous in places. The banister railing on the top floor is too short as someone could easily fall, but at least would put them out of their missery.

!! !! !! AVOID AT ALL COSTS !! !! !!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kevet

Travellers are raving about these Leominster hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Disgusting...smell, cleanliness...everything was horrible...yes it's cheap but this should not be an excuse. There were all sorts of objects on the floor...I didn't dare look under the beds. Didn't dare try the food or drink.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Alan S
Swanley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had booked 2 rooms for 4 of us. We had 2 dogs with us, and arrived after 9pm.
The first thing that hit me as I entered the hotel was the noise!! there was what sounded like a heavy metal band practicing in one room and loud music from a wedding reception coming from the hall next door! Two loud conflicting sounds which was deafening!
Then, before I had a chance to book in I witnessed a couple requesting a refund from one of the staff! This didn't bode well, but there was worse to come.
The rooms were a disgrace! The carpets were rotten, there were water ingress marks on the ceilings, the door leading in to one of our rooms was damaged, and the wood on the inside of the same door showed signs where it had been broken in to! the bedding looked as though it had been washed and put straight back on the bed without seeing an iron, and there was a large dark stain on the front of one of the duvet covers. The sash in the window in one of the rooms was broken and because it was so hot the only way to keep the window up was to try to hold it open with some cushions. The shower head in that bedroom had been tied up with a cable tie which snapped when it was used! There was also a nasty smell about the place, I see now that this was mentioned by someone else..
Then to top it all, after travelling for over 3 hours, we were told that the restaurant wasn't open that night. So no food!
Having said all that, the staff did try their best. The woman in charge (who we felt was embarrassed by the place herself!) suggested that if we got a take away we could use the dining room, and she would clear away after us, so we did! She was very kind , she must have to deal with many complaints!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Denise G
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

As I was being shown to my room all I could see was that all the other room doors looked like they have been kicked in at some point. I got Into the room and it was in really bad condition the bed head is partly hanging off the wall with dust all on top of it, there's a big crack from the light socket to the ceiling, the lock looks to be held on by fairy dust which makes you feel a little insecure, the carpet hadn't been hoovered and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned and there was some strange gunk in the soap holder. The shower was in a dirty state but needed a shower, I turned it on and at first there was a good amount of power but as soon as you add warm (not hot) water to the mix it stops to more or less a dribble anyway I needed a shower as I closed the shower door it fell off! no fun! I had a two night stay here and was going to ask for a change of room but I had the unfortune of seeing in to another room that was much the same as mine so gathered there was no point in asking.
The bed was comfy and if you don't mind where you sleep this is your place at cheap rates, sadly I was on business so I do like to have my room in a reasonable state as I'm away so much.
Quite a bit of noise comes from the pub down stairs but I personally have no problem with this.
Can't comment on bar or food though always seemed busy so could be quite good.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gorsk
Wales
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Yes its cheap but cheap does not have to be dirty......but it is! Awful smell, very very dusty, flat pillows and duvet, bits on floor behind bed, paint coming off doors, nothing like the pics on the web.

Room Tip: Hee hee....would if I could. Rooms are not like the pics.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TYMELYN
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place shouldn't be open,we went to Leominster for a family wedding and had the misfortune of staying here,the pictures have no resemblance to the real thing. It was disgusting,I have never seen a hotel quite like it. First of all the card machine wasn't working so had to walk to a cash point which wasn't a problem,was told it was £45 for the night (very cheap we know) to then get back to be told it was £55 which was to be paid up front,we now know why after spending the night. We were told our room was no 7 wasn't shown up just told where to go. The smell as you walk up the stairs was foul. We got to our room and it looked like it had been kicked in which made me quite worried as me and my partner had our two year old son with us. Got in the room and it was dirty the bin in the bathroom hadn't been emptied it was full of rotten food. Unfortunately my room was the best out of a bad bunch my brother and his family had no cold water in their room and it stank the bath also had a hole in it. My dad had someone walk into his room at half one In the morning and had to move rooms. My aunty and uncle had the apartment outside which was noisy and filthy,all you could smell was damp and mould. To top of the horrendous stay they had to break in to our room as the key wouldn't work as they thought someone had got in and locked it from the inside. Thankfully no one was in there when it was broken into but it obviously ment the door wasn't safe (this is obviously why it looked like it had been kicked in as I'm sure this wasn't the first time it had happened) would never normally write on here but me and my family felt it was appropriate. Have never felt the need to check trip advisor reviews before staying somewhere but after this weekend (26th July 2014) I will check every hotel before I book. Even though this place is cheap it really is not worth what you will pay. Please do not stay here especially if you have children it's dirty,smelly and noisy. No one will be there when you hand the keys back either. Couldn't get out of the place any quicker.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ellis H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leominster
Talbot Hotel
#2 of 12 in Hereford
The Cliffe at Dinham
The Cliffe at Dinham
#3 of 8 in Ludlow

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!