“the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay in”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leominster
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We come to Leominster quite often to see my mother in law and usually stay in the Talbot, which is opposite this 'hotel', but it was fully booked for a wedding so we ended up at the Royal Oak for two nights over the bank holiday. It was awful, not Fawlty Towers awful that you can laugh about, but horrendous. We were sent out to get cash to pay up front as the card machine was not working (however think this must be a ploy as otherwise they would get guests refusing to pay at the end of their stay!). All the doors looked as if they had been kicked in at some point and were not secure. Bed heads falling off walls, no hot water in one shower, broken shower door, dirty with lots of cobwebs on the ceilings, stained bed linen, no mattress covers on the beds (although the actual beds were comfy), smells, one room with no TV at all (not the end of the world but they said the type of rooms we had had TVs in), one TV with no remote, we asked for one and it never appeared, very, very very noisy due to a night club one night and then dodgy cover band the next (we were on the second floor and could still hear the words to the songs), fights outside, what looked like underage drinkers at the back, old men calling out sexual comments to my daughter, serving beer in the bar at 9.30 am. I could go on.... On the last day we came down for breakfast at 9 am but the whlie place was locked up and there was no one around. This was actually a blessing as we could leave earlier and decamped to Morrisons for a breakfast that was the same price but much nicer. The room price was cheap but this does not mean the standard has to be this low. I have never written a review before but felt that this place was so bad I did not want anyone else to stay here. The website is a work of fiction.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms but the ones at the front are the worst as they are above the nightclub
2  Thank lff72

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Well where do you start. We went to see family that we hadn't seen for years. We also had never been to shropshire. When arriving we pulled into a pot holed littered car park with so called members of staff and a child hovering the outside decking. We went into the main bar which didnt seem to bad although in need of a good paint. The man we first spoke to sounded like he was still drunk from the night before! We was early so went for a walk. The town its self is a lovely place. When given the keys to the aniex which is where we stayed with our children it was a whole different story. The SMELL of damp, smoke and god knows what else just hit you! We had a look around only to find the so called finished clean place was undescrible there was ciggertte butts under the sofa dried food on the cushion a tv that didn't work walls with all sorts on them and to top it all off blood on the toilet seat. We called them back in they said they would re-clean the whole place we got a free drink at the bar and the manger was really sorry. We went back later only to find that it was still a state and the smell!!!! How this place is still open is beyond me. They have no care for people that are staying there only in the drunk drug taking people that they allow in there. Luckly for us we didn't have to spend any time there. THE PICTURE THEY HAVE ON THERE WEBSITE ARE FAKE IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THAT. SO PLEASE PEOPLE DON'T STAY THERE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank janinereay79
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I was doing a cycle sportive, my wife was working in newtown, 50miles from Leominster. I saw this dump on the net thought it sounded ok for the price. We checked in went to our room. It wasn't brilliant but for the price it was reasonable. It was a couple of hours after we were having a drink at tje bar when we heard the bar maid say there was a disco on starting at 9 till 2am.
Woopeedoo no sleep for us tonight and wasn't I right. It was as though all the idiots in the village congregated on that pub. About 3am some bloke was on his phone having a barny with his girlfriend and friend for an hour.
The place is of poor standard and dangerous in places. The banister railing on the top floor is too short as someone could easily fall, but at least would put them out of their missery.

!! !! !! AVOID AT ALL COSTS !! !! !!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kevet
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Disgusting...smell, cleanliness...everything was horrible...yes it's cheap but this should not be an excuse. There were all sorts of objects on the floor...I didn't dare look under the beds. Didn't dare try the food or drink.

• Stayed: July 2014
7  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had booked 2 rooms for 4 of us. We had 2 dogs with us, and arrived after 9pm.
The first thing that hit me as I entered the hotel was the noise!! there was what sounded like a heavy metal band practicing in one room and loud music from a wedding reception coming from the hall next door! Two loud conflicting sounds which was deafening!
Then, before I had a chance to book in I witnessed a couple requesting a refund from one of the staff! This didn't bode well, but there was worse to come.
The rooms were a disgrace! The carpets were rotten, there were water ingress marks on the ceilings, the door leading in to one of our rooms was damaged, and the wood on the inside of the same door showed signs where it had been broken in to! the bedding looked as though it had been washed and put straight back on the bed without seeing an iron, and there was a large dark stain on the front of one of the duvet covers. The sash in the window in one of the rooms was broken and because it was so hot the only way to keep the window up was to try to hold it open with some cushions. The shower head in that bedroom had been tied up with a cable tie which snapped when it was used! There was also a nasty smell about the place, I see now that this was mentioned by someone else..
Then to top it all, after travelling for over 3 hours, we were told that the restaurant wasn't open that night. So no food!
Having said all that, the staff did try their best. The woman in charge (who we felt was embarrassed by the place herself!) suggested that if we got a take away we could use the dining room, and she would clear away after us, so we did! She was very kind , she must have to deal with many complaints!!

6  Thank Denise G
Reviewed 2 August 2014

As I was being shown to my room all I could see was that all the other room doors looked like they have been kicked in at some point. I got Into the room and it was in really bad condition the bed head is partly hanging off the wall with dust all on top of it, there's a big crack from the light socket to the ceiling, the lock looks to be held on by fairy dust which makes you feel a little insecure, the carpet hadn't been hoovered and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned and there was some strange gunk in the soap holder. The shower was in a dirty state but needed a shower, I turned it on and at first there was a good amount of power but as soon as you add warm (not hot) water to the mix it stops to more or less a dribble anyway I needed a shower as I closed the shower door it fell off! no fun! I had a two night stay here and was going to ask for a change of room but I had the unfortune of seeing in to another room that was much the same as mine so gathered there was no point in asking.
The bed was comfy and if you don't mind where you sleep this is your place at cheap rates, sadly I was on business so I do like to have my room in a reasonable state as I'm away so much.
Quite a bit of noise comes from the pub down stairs but I personally have no problem with this.
Can't comment on bar or food though always seemed busy so could be quite good.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Gorsk
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Yes its cheap but cheap does not have to be dirty......but it is! Awful smell, very very dusty, flat pillows and duvet, bits on floor behind bed, paint coming off doors, nothing like the pics on the web.

Room Tip: Hee hee....would if I could. Rooms are not like the pics.
2  Thank TYMELYN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leominster
0 mi away
Munstone House Country Hotel
The Green Dragon
The Green Dragon
#9 of 11 in Hereford

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!